Author Topic: Tektronix 7603 Focus Issue  (Read 269 times)

Offline wlzed279Topic starter

• Contributor
Tektronix 7603 Focus Issue
« on: April 19, 2024, 05:13:19 pm »
I am having trouble with getting the trace to focus on a Tektronix 7603 Mainframe. I recapped the power supply a few months on this scope and it was working perfectly. I recently fired it back up only to find that the trace had lost focus. I went through the focus calibration procedure and had to adjust the Focus Preset control fully clockwise to its limit to bring it back into better focus but it is still a little soft.

Adjusting the front panel focus adjustment, Auto Focus bias and the Auto Focus Gain have no effect on the focus. The astigmatism is properly adjusted.

I am not sure where to start looking for this fault. What does fully CW Focus Preset and no response from the other controls tell me?

Offline BlownUpCapacitor

• Regular Contributor
  • pssSSHHH BOOM!
Re: Tektronix 7603 Focus Issue
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2024, 08:11:06 pm »
Check voltage across R1193. Should be 180v. Ground referenced, -50v, +130v

Check voltage across R1045 too. Should be 100v DC. From ground reference, ±50v.

If they check out fine, check voltage at pin 2 and pin 3 of P1194 ground referenced. Should be around +25v at pin 2. Pin 3 will vary between 0-130v.

If those still check fine, measure voltage at anode of CR1255. High voltage will be present here!!!!! The voltage should vary depending on the focus setting. Report back.

Love the smell of burning capacitor electrolyte in the morning.

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
Re: Tektronix 7603 Focus Issue
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2024, 09:27:20 pm »
On my 7603 I had a fuzzy trace that would not want to focus appropriately although the scope was usable (but always a bit more fuzzy than expected from Tek).

It turned out to be due to a bad resistor in the "find trace" circuit.
When you press the "find trace" button it will reduce the x-y scan amplitude but also go out of focus a bit.

I noticed when slowly pressing the button that right at the transition I was getting a good focus for a fraction of a second.

That was a long time ago but I could dig up the scope from the garage if you get stuck. I think the schematics were on the both anchors site at the time.

Best of luck with it.

Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf