Author Topic: Tektronix AFG-3022C - power supply issues  (Read 936 times)

Offline Paulo PeresTopic starter

• Contributor
  • Long live Analog!
Tektronix AFG-3022C - power supply issues
« on: November 06, 2023, 06:07:01 pm »
I'm repairing a failed Tektronix AFG-3022C with an interesting problem at power supply.
The power supply is an Artesyn 7001318-J000 module.
At first, it was not turning on.
Suddenly, it started to work (and I checked the voltages with the poor diagrams of the service manual and was everything ok)
But in this condition, the equipment was resetting if it suffered a minimal movement.
After a disassembly and reassembly, it started to work without resetting, but now it stopped to recognize the ASICs (was working even with the resetting issue).
I checked the PS again and discovered that the voltages are altered (5V to 7,1V, +/-15V to +/-18V; the 4.3V keeps almost the same). Weird detail: at the parts list section of the manual, the power supply is described as having these altered voltages as features.
Does anybody have a clue about what is happening here?

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
Re: Tektronix AFG-3022C - power supply issues
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2023, 10:37:15 am »
First it had a clear contact problem.
Now it probably has another contact problem.

Maybe you should disassemble it again and check places.
If there are pinheader type connections, check their pin surfaces.
Maybe there are some oxidation and new connection point is just over one.
Weak solder joints can also have given up.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Triplett-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

• Contributor
  • Long live Analog!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2023, 09:48:17 pm »
I did it, actually.
I checked also the electrolytic caps, the solder joints, the opto couplers in the feedback loop... everything ok.
The PWM controller appears to be ok, too. One of the tests I did was slightly change the impedance of the feedback voltage divider (i added a parallel resistor). As result the voltages read had a proportional change.
Everything looks ok, but the PS behavior remains the same.

Online Vovk_Z

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2023, 03:13:23 pm »
"It was not working and then started to work" it could be bad electrolyte caps in power supply. They work better when energized for some time (you may heat them too it would help until they became cold again). Mine GDS-806 had similar behaviour.

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2023, 03:49:41 pm »
Fixed 5V chips have hard times with 7.1V supply.
Missing ASiCs can be a protection against overvoltage.

What manual you are reading?
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Triplett-YFE

• Contributor
  • Long live Analog!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2023, 03:40:03 pm »
 ??? Hmmm.
For a moment I thought I was going crazy.
I was reading the 071-1640-04 manual. The correct manual for this instrument is 071-1640-02.

If I didn't measured the voltages before, I would think someone exchanged the power supplies.

Anyway, now I know I need more information about 119-7153-00 power supply. Does anybody can confirm if it really corresponds to 7001318-J000 I have?

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2023, 07:20:12 pm »
Check if the PSU has an obvious internal/external regulation setting.
Maybe some models need more and internal regulators are not enough.

Newer manuals have PSU revision as -xx, so there are more than few.
Bypassing internal regulators would mean backward compatibility and is easy to make.

Offline lern01

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2024, 11:40:05 am »
??? Hmmm.
For a moment I thought I was going crazy.
I was reading the 071-1640-04 manual. The correct manual for this instrument is 071-1640-02.

If I didn't measured the voltages before, I would think someone exchanged the power supplies.

Anyway, now I know I need more information about 119-7153-00 power supply. Does anybody can confirm if it really corresponds to 7001318-J000 I have?

I have an AFG3101, and the power module is also Artesyn 7001318-J000. The A72 is 672-5815-04, the A31 is 671-6052-01, and the A51 is 672-5953-02. The machine starts up normally, but Diagnostics reports error 2303 and Calibration reports error 1103, both of which are related to DC bias. The no-load outputs of the power module are 7.2V, 4.32V, +18.73V, and -18.92V. When connected to the A72, the voltages are 7.21V, 4.4V, +18.34V, -18.79V, -4.99V, and -4.91V. According to the service manual (071-1640-02), it should be ±15V. Is the output of the power module normal now? Is it ±18V or ±15V? Looking forward to your reply, thank you!

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2024, 11:02:07 am »
Manual 071-1640-02 page 3-2 has a block diagram, there power supply is +/-15V.
A bit above that is a local regulators rectangle, clearly a separated and different thing.

Next page defines power supply as +/-15V.
Next page from that defines A11/A12 board local regulator also as +/-15V.
Two different things.

It's possible that all final voltages are from local regulators, but obviously no definitive answers available.
So check the power supply visually, if you can't find any texts then maybe components can give some directions.
Though net pictures are clearly not very promising.

The following users thanked this post: lern01

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf