Electronics > Repair

Tektronix CSA-8000 / TDS-8000 repair experiences?

(1/11) > >>

EB5AGV:
Hi all,

I have been working intermittently for six years |O on a seemingly impossible to finish project. I had the (bad) luck to get my first CSA-8000, a cheap one coming from eBay.de, on 2011 . It was clearly a unit which someone has tried to fix and had let it go... Now I know why!!!

I documented my first attempts to get it working on my WEB:

http://jvgavila.com/csa8000.htm

Well, to make a very long story short, I have worked so far on six units (five CSA-8000 and one TDS-8000, which are exactly the same). Four of them are mine. None of them works fine yet... The best unit, which I was able to get running on Windows 98 (it was an old hardware unit), even passing the compensation procedure, decided to stop working and have not had the nerve to get back to it. For the other three units, one is a parts unit, and the other two, which run Windows 2000 software, work BUT don't pass the compensation procedure.

All in all, it seems to me that the acquisition board (ACQ BOARD) is the most delicate item on these units. There are several versions of it and I have seen that the hardware has some patches on it which probably are needed to comply with some specifications. These patches are small plug-in circuits. I have seen units with just one of them and other with five of them. Then there are some ACQ boards which have the STROBE coax cables connected and some which not. And they don't seem to be fully interchangeable.

Of course, another very common problem is the NVRAM batteries. There are three of them and all go bad. I have replaced quite a bit of them and have managed to fix the POWER PC non-booting problem but then, the battery on the ACQ BOARD generates calibration faults. I wonder if someone has found the correct way to re-calibrate the mainframe and get rid of those faults.

So, please, could you share your work on these units?. I hope someday to have at least one fully working mainframe  ::)

Regards,

Jose

Jwalling:
This may help
https://forum.tek.com/viewtopic.php?t=138009

EB5AGV:

--- Quote from: Jwalling on June 20, 2017, 09:40:50 am ---This may help

--- End quote ---

Thanks, I will sure use that info!

Now I am dealing with an XP Upgrade for the CSA8000, which is being kind of a nightmare  :(

After several attempts, I had (read later) been able to run the latest version of the Tek software (5.2.1.3), but the front panel did not respond nor the touch panel. I guess that is a matter of XP drivers, right?

To be sure it was not a hardware problem, I have reinstalled the old mainboard with Windows 98 software. But the PC refuses to boot as the BIOS battery was gone and, after replacement, there is no way to enter the BIOS. I have seen you commented on the Tek forum, some years ago, about a program to corrupt the time & date on the BIOS. I wonder if you can share it with me.

OK, so I have returned back to the XP mainboard... to find that now there is no way to properly boot the Windows XP!. It keeps on the welcome display (the one with the progress bar) forever. In safe mode I can get it to boot. But I don't understand why now it does not boot as it did some hours ago  |O

Regards,

Jose

EB5AGV:
Well, I have got back to work the Windows XP installation, except for the touch display and the front panel controls. Any hint on this?  :-//

As I have two other semi-working units, the other questions about getting into BIOS on the Intel BL440ZX mainboard remain.

Regards,

Jose

Jwalling:

--- Quote from: EB5AGV on June 20, 2017, 10:49:18 am ---
--- Quote from: Jwalling on June 20, 2017, 09:40:50 am ---This may help

--- End quote ---

Thanks, I will sure use that info!

Now I am dealing with an XP Upgrade for the CSA8000, which is being kind of a nightmare  :(

After several attempts, I had (read later) been able to run the latest version of the Tek software (5.2.1.3), but the front panel did not respond nor the touch panel. I guess that is a matter of XP drivers, right?

To be sure it was not a hardware problem, I have reinstalled the old mainboard with Windows 98 software. But the PC refuses to boot as the BIOS battery was gone and, after replacement, there is no way to enter the BIOS. I have seen you commented on the Tek forum, some years ago, about a program to corrupt the time & date on the BIOS. I wonder if you can share it with me.

Jose

--- End quote ---

Hi Jose,
I sent the file to your email. Did you get it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version