Author Topic: Tektronix DMM916 positive Jack Connector replacement  (Read 2051 times)

Offline repolloTopic starter

Tektronix DMM916 positive Jack Connector replacement
« on: November 25, 2017, 01:57:08 pm »
So ever since I saw the EEVblog #559 Auction Score I wanted the DMM916 and I think I'm able to get one now, the only issue is that is missing the positive jack connector, and since Dave dissassembled one of his on the video at the 5 minute mark https://youtu.be/uqURkr9YVvM?t=5m26s I realized it may be simple to source the part, well... I've searched "everywhere" and could not find the dang part, so today I'm turning to you guys, to see if you know where to find it, or if theres anyone with a dead one for parts, any inputs would be great! Thanks!

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
Re: Tektronix DMM916 positive Jack Connector replacement
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 09:38:37 pm »
Are you talking about the black shroud?  See

http://mrmodemhead.com/blog/fluke-banana-jack-repair/
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 09:48:16 pm by retiredcaps »

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 02:02:34 am »
I only have three complaints about the Tektronix DMM916 series of meters: the backlight is close to useless as Dave showed in his video, I do not like the linear jack arrangement because a standard 3/4" dual banana jack cannot be used for high current measurements, and like many autoranging meters, the input resistance varies with DC voltage range.  These last two things are common but had I known about the input resistance issue, I might not have bought it.  Make that four things if you include that the plastic inner jack shields broke off of the common and volt jacks on mine which seems to be a common problem.

On the plus side, it can make average AC, RMS AC, and RMS AC+DC measurements, has dual off positions on the rotary switch which Dave mentioned, and great performance.

Fluke sued Tektronix over these multimeters and they reached a settlement where Fluke bought the design and production from Tektronix and Tektronix agreed to stay out of the handheld multimeter business.  I suspect part of this was because they performed better than the Fluke 97 series with which they competed and had a superior RMS measurement method.

Appa Technology Corporation was apparently the manufacturer for these meters if you want something similar but new.

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 03:00:49 am »
The Tek DMM 91x series meters are one of my favorites.  I bought a lot of 10 of them (most are DMM914's) for dirt cheap and have them scattered around the place everywhere.   They are very reliable and stable.  And easy to calibrate.   I once came across the schematics, but can't find where anymore.

And yes, the 916 backlight is useless.  I keep thinking that someday I will try to improve that wart.

Offline repolloTopic starter

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 03:13:15 am »
Thanks for the link but I already read it, and what I'm interested is in the whole part, in the Tek's DMM916 you can unscrew the COM and positive jack connectors, and one of them is missing...

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 03:20:41 am »
I bought a lot of 10 of them (most are DMM914's) for dirt cheap
:-+

Would you mind disclosing how much?

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 03:55:46 am »
I bought a lot of 10 of them (most are DMM914's) for dirt cheap
:-+

Would you mind disclosing how much?

It was actually two lots of 5 units for around $100/lot from a local equipment liquidation auction.   All 914's except for a 916 and a 912.  The DMM912 was new-in-box.  One meter didn't have its blue meter condom.... I did see one on Ebay once, but the guy wanted $50 for it... no thanks. 

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 12:12:52 pm »
It was actually two lots of 5 units for around $100/lot from a local equipment liquidation auction.   All 914's except for a 916 and a 912.  The DMM912 was new-in-box.  One meter didn't have its blue meter condom.... I did see one on Ebay once, but the guy wanted $50 for it... no thanks.

Fluke has a patent on the color of their meter condoms which is why Tektronix switched from yellow to blue and other manufacturers avoid yellow.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf