Author Topic: Tektronix TDS 520  (Read 11906 times)

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Tektronix TDS 520
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2016, 08:28:23 pm »
You have to replace the SMD electrolytic capacitors and wash the boards with alcohol. The FAIL errors the oscilloscope shows are the signs of bad capacitors!
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline SAUL BRITTO

• Frequent Contributor
  • Don't Make a Mistake
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2016, 08:32:44 pm »
You have to replace the SMD electrolytic capacitors and wash the boards with alcohol. The FAIL errors the oscilloscope shows are the signs of bad capacitors!

He said that was made, all you are written. The fail on the selftest is on the aquisition board,but can be really caps.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 12:54:14 pm by SAUL BRITTO »
Thank You, for all earth.

Offline FranzTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2016, 10:36:29 pm »
NOTE: This message has been deleted by the forum moderator Simon for being against the forum rules and/or at the discretion of the moderator as being in the best interests of the forum community and the nature of the thread.
If you believe this to be in error, please contact the moderator involved.
An optional additional explanation is:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 10:01:39 pm by Simon »

Offline SAUL BRITTO

• Frequent Contributor
  • Don't Make a Mistake
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2016, 12:36:54 am »
NOTE: This message has been deleted by the forum moderator Simon for being against the forum rules and/or at the discretion of the moderator as being in the best interests of the forum community and the nature of the thread.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 10:01:44 pm by Simon »

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2016, 11:25:57 am »
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 10:01:49 pm by Simon »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2016, 12:00:09 pm »
He said that was made, all you are written. The fail on the seftest is on the aquisition board,but can be really caps.
In that case there may be broken PCB traces or vias (eaten away by the electrolyte) or some capacitors where not replaced. Some of the capacitors are used in analogue circuitry as well; those circuits depend on the relatively high ESR of the capacitors. The FAIL errors for the acquisition are clear indicators that something is wrong with the acquisition board and the capacitors are the most likely cause. There is a lot of information on this kind of repair if you search for 'TDS544A fixing'. In the TDS544A oscillscope I have fixed I had to resolder several chips in areas badly affected by electrolyte to get it working properly.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2016, 12:24:18 pm »
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 10:01:56 pm by Simon »

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2016, 03:01:05 pm »
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 10:02:03 pm by Simon »

Offline SAUL BRITTO

• Frequent Contributor
  • Don't Make a Mistake
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2016, 06:27:48 pm »
Look at your Power supply for ripple,maybe any voltage regulator is in bad condiction too.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 06:29:31 pm by SAUL BRITTO »

Offline Earendil

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2016, 10:04:15 pm »
I don't think German discussion is very useful for most of the people here.

I'm too lazy use a translator for all of the posts here. And secondly: most people search in English. So useful information won't be found if it's in German or any other foreign language.

Couldn't you at least add Google translation for the German posts? So non-German speakers at least can decide if it's interesting to them or not.

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2016, 06:45:28 am »
This is an english speaking forum. It's not fair on the wider audience if everyone uses their own language and I have no idea what is being written in any language that is not English or Italian so it's not appropriate from a moderation point of view.

Offline xwarp

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2016, 09:45:34 pm »
This is an english speaking forum. It's not fair on the wider audience if everyone uses their own language and I have no idea what is being written in any language that is not English or Italian so it's not appropriate from a moderation point of view.

I personally don't have a problem with other languages being used as long as another member who is responding in that language at least paraphrases the dialog.

I for one clicked on this thread because I have an older TDS series scope that had the leaky cap issue on the acquisition board. Since replacing them all, everything has been fine so far.

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2016, 11:35:51 am »
I'm not too bothered if a translation is supplied after the english version but a forum full of different languages just does not work. I know not everyone has a good level of english and they are not expected to but if two people want to exchange advice in their own language for ease of one of them we need it in english as well.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf