Poll

How to remove network noise?

EMI filter or something else?
0 (0%)
Capacitators
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: The TIG welding machine make high voltage in the network and freeze arduino  (Read 1998 times)

Offline SaleTopic starter

HI  I m Aleksandar. I love electronics, but I can not learn everything quickly . I did not find a solution to my problem, so I was free to contact.
 My TIG welding machine make noise problem  in the network  only at the beginning of the welding when fired an electric arc. In TIG device is a high-voltage trafo some part is back in the network and freezes my arduino uno(not always, but every  three to four starts). I added pictures Rigol.I make voltage  divider 1:1000, maybe it's not good, but it shows somethin.
I put some feritte ,capacitator at input ,output but nothing.
What do you think of an EMI filter or something else?
Thanks

Online TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
Have you tried putting the Arduino into a sealed metal box with filters on the wires entering and exiting the box?
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline johnwa

• Frequent Contributor
    • loopgain.net - a few of my projects
Have you tried putting the Arduino into a sealed metal box with filters on the wires entering and exiting the box?

Or even just moving it away from the welder a bit?

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
Yep,
1) Put arduino in metal box that connects to arduino ground for EMI shielding .
2) Add a 5.1V TVS diode between arduino VCC and ground.
3) Add a bigger VCC-GND bypass cap. (keep the current 0.1uf but add a new 1000uf as well)
4) Add a 1k pullup on reset line to VCC.  (arduino has ~30k internal pullup but that may not be enough to stop noise from resetting it.)

You might be able to get away without doing step 1 if you do steps 2,3 and 4
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 08:54:44 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor

FWIW if the member suggestions above don't help much:

Most TIG welders (especially cheap copies of ThreeHungLow knockoffs) may/will cause heavy interference due to the high frequency thing going on to start the arc and or maintain it

As well as the issues OP is having, it's strong enough to make a heart pacemaker crash  :o
just as the unfortunate victim is about to complete the best stack of dimes weld bead   \ ()()()()()()  ever in their life   :'(

More suggestions:
Put the TIG welder on a separate circuit, change the layout/position of the cables,

watch a LOT of Youtubes and read the comments, to see how the pros and newbs deal with the problem,

hit on the good welding forums,

or pick a suitable time to TIG weld so it does not cause issues

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
I notice that the little piezo beeper in my house alarm system makes some noise when the TIG welder HV start occurs.
Doesn't seem to cause other issues though.

At least it doesn't make the alarm go off :)
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
I notice that the little piezo beeper in my house alarm system makes some noise when the TIG welder HV start occurs.
Doesn't seem to cause other issues though.

At least it doesn't make the alarm go off :)

Assuming the alarm still works...  :D

Thank you guys for a quick reply.
Arduino did not insulate with a metal box.I removed all the entrances into the arduino(only power supply), and removed 2 m from the welders.Today I will try these things I can.I need to buy 5.1V TVS diodes.
Is there a way to check the ground,maybe it's also problem.
In any case, I report

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.

FWIW if the member suggestions above don't help much:

Most TIG welders (especially cheap copies of ThreeHungLow knockoffs) may/will cause heavy interference due to the high frequency thing going on to start the arc and or maintain it

As well as the issues OP is having, it's strong enough to make a heart pacemaker crash  :o
just as the unfortunate victim is about to complete the best stack of dimes weld bead   \ ()()()()()()  ever in their life   :'(

More suggestions:
Put the TIG welder on a separate circuit, change the layout/position of the cables,

watch a LOT of Youtubes and read the comments, to see how the pros and newbs deal with the problem,

hit on the good welding forums,

or pick a suitable time to TIG weld so it does not cause issues
Well a lot depends on the TIG.
Modern ones have a very short HF Start mode where it's not too hard to implement some circuit protection that only needs to cover the interference for some ms.
An old Hobart TIG I used HF mode was on continuously if you had it selected and would make any AM radio inoperable for 50 yds.  :scared:
The EMI in that thing was truly horrible due to the continuously running HV spark gap that was coupled into the welding leads.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Tig machineis is relatively new Jasic pro 200 pulse.This is a Chinese device ,but works well without any problems.

Today I pulled Arduino from the Tig apparatus with a 20m extension cable, and it was already better.It is important that the tungsten electrode is clean and taut.
The noise still exist, but half are smaller and everything works properly.
I'll try to neutralize noise.
Thanks to all

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf