Author Topic: TLA Logic Analyzers - Serial Number Repair  (Read 1773 times)

Offline rfdesTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
TLA Logic Analyzers - Serial Number Repair
« on: July 06, 2017, 03:39:07 pm »

My TLA624 analyzer has had a corrupted serial number since I bought it about 5 years ago.  The number shows B000000 and am not sure if it left the factory that way or not.  One may ask, 'Who cares?'...  and I cannot give you a straight answer but in short 'I care'.  So, I went off looking for a way to set the serial number to the factory assigned number which is on the back panel label.  It turns out that the serial number is NOT in the battery backed NVRAM but embedded in the firmware flash.  After some amount of searching and reverse engineering (I have a lot of fun doing this sort of thing), it turns out that the tool Load32.exe (Systems Folder) used to update the analyzer's module firmware has a 'Factory mode' that will allow the serial number to be changed.  To force it into the Factory mode requires a password that appears to be module dependent so I patched the tool to bypass the password and now I can modify the serial number for both the TLA700 and TLA600 series analyzers.

Of course few people would really care about changing the serial number but I am willing to share the tool if anyone needs/wants to modify their numbers.
Anyway, my reason for this post was to offer this tool to whoever would like it.

Take care -
Jim

Offline lukier

• Supporter
    • Homepage
Re: TLA Logic Analyzers - Serial Number Repair
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 03:50:11 pm »
it turns out that the tool Load32.exe (Systems Folder) used to update the analyzer's module firmware has a 'Factory mode' that will allow the serial number to be changed.  To force it into the Factory mode requires a password that appears to be module dependent so I patched the tool to bypass the password and now I can modify the serial number for both the TLA700 and TLA600 series analyzers.

Over a year ago I've spent some time analyzing Load32.exe, as I have one TLA7AA4 card to repair and I don't remember the password to the factory mode (/F switch) to be module dependent. The password is stored in the encrypted form and the code uses this exact method (and even the key as in the example!) to decrypt the stored constant:
http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/2645/Fast-Simple-Secure-Encryption-Routine

Maybe it is different for TLA600 series, I have TLA715 (704 upgraded to 715 to be precise).

To be honest there is not much there, just force firmware upgrade and change serial number - didn't help me much. One of my TLA7AA4 cards has corrupted firmware (my fault) and I'll have to copy the Flash from the another, good, card. The problem is that MiniPro doesn't support TSOP56 flashes and I got rid of my 68k BDM tools years ago. I'll have to improvise some programmer out of an MCU, but that will take some time.

Offline justin010306

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 09:34:26 am »
hi,The serial number of my TLA612 analyzer is damaged. The number shows B000000, can you help me fix it. Thank you

Offline rl78family

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2023, 09:32:51 pm »

Of course few people would really care about changing the serial number but I am willing to share the tool if anyone needs/wants to modify their numbers.
Anyway, my reason for this post was to offer this tool to whoever would like it.

Hi, Jim!
I have TLA7N3 with wrong serial number. Does your's tool can fix this?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf