Electronics > Repair

Toasted a 7950

(1/3) > >>

dovah-chan:
Okay so a few days ago, a friend of mine tried to install an Arctic Accelero Mono Plus aftermarket GPU cooler for his 7950 that I got him as an early christmas present (also if anyone else here is knows a thing or two about GPUs its that reference coolers are LOUD).

Anyways, when he handed the card back to me the following day after his attempts to install it I got this: http://imgur.com/a/B4MqX

So I gave him my 7970 and now I'm sitting here with a dead card trying to figure out what can be done for it. It's only a minor inconvenience as I was planning to upgrade to a 390X once it comes out but I thought it would be a fun project to try and repair this thing. The card will power on and work somewhat so its not completely dead and I don't think any other onboard components were damaged other than that small area near the power phases. (it just gives a solid green screen on start up and then after booting past the motherboard logo and windows logo it then the display shuts off: http://imgur.com/a/1ObvR)

I also noticed upon closer inspection that one of the main power inductors (labled R22) is black on the inside of it versus all the others which are just the regular silver. I'm assuming thats where it went 'poof' at. Is there any hope for this card or should we just scrap it (or hang it on a wall or something)

Oh and the exact card model is the HIS H795F3G2M

Shock:
If you can remove that mosfet and clean the surrounding area keeping the pads intact it should be repairable. The carbon will need to be cleaned from all surrounding components. You can measure those neighboring components and compare them against the others that don't have carbon all over them. Any torn pads or burns into the PCB and your chances of success go way down. You want to use ESD precautions handling the card and I think a hot air station is probably required if you need to replace the choke.

Less thermal paste next time.

Rasz:
well, obviously the problem was not enough electricity conducting thermal paste around the chip ....

search here for a video of a fix
https://www.youtube.com/user/1servicecore/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=1
there was one with exactly same problem

warning  - it might will involve dremeling out pcb because you have quite a burn there and lot of charred pcb, all in all  Im guessing it is beyond your capabilities, easiest solution is to sell that card on ebay with clear description - someone able of fixing it will grab the deal

your monkey friend either
-used conductive thermal paste and it shorted components on the chip
-ran the card with no cooling to 'just test something'
-shorted it while it was running by .. I dont know what he was doing, measuring something?  screwing around with screwdriver while it was powered on?

dovah-chan:
He used a tube of IC Diamond I gave him, which I don't believe is conductive but the G1 thermal adhesive that came with the cooler for attaching the RAM heatsinks was conductive if I remember correctly. Not to mention that the cooler itself is not compatible with the card. On Arctic's website it says that any 7950 manufactured before February 2013 is not compatible.

It appears on the package it was manufactured on the 16th week of 2012. I mounted the cooler myself just to check and it wasn't making proper contact with the cold plate. It's nothing that a shim or something couldn't fix since the die doesn't have an IHS. Anyways I'll see what equipment my dad has in storage and if he hasn't gotten rid of his soldering equipment we might give it a go. Although I think it might be a headache-free option to just sell it off and get him an R9 280 which are dirt cheap at the moment.

Also found the video which has the problem and the fix:

Shock:
Shame that guy doesn't do English subs or translation. He was pretty brutal with that hand drill. Wonder if He was grinding till He saw a short open or was just going for it. I couldn't tell if He lowered the voltage and under-clocked it as a result or this is the first one He had done.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version