Author Topic: Tried to repair my girlfriends iPhone and messed up a bit :-/  (Read 5278 times)

Offline RodastTopic starter

• Contributor
Tried to repair my girlfriends iPhone and messed up a bit :-/
« on: September 05, 2013, 11:46:16 am »
Hello All,

I tried to replace a broken power switch on my girlfriends iPhone yesterday which regularly is not such a hard task to accomplish and videos on youtube are such a great guidance that practically nothing can go wrong.

Everything went just fine until I started to reassemble things and managed to glitch with the screw driver while meaning it a little bit to good to get one of the last screws fastened.  :wtf:

So I kicked a tiny little resistor? right off the mainbord.  Go figure :rant:

To my great surprise the phone booted up and until now I received no complains or worse as feedback after this repair try.

What is that part and are there any later damages to be expected (should I start saving on a replacement) now that it is missing *sigh*

Greetings

Rodast
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 11:52:05 am by Rodast »

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
Re: Tried to repair my girlfriends iPhone and messed up a bit :-/
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 11:55:13 am »
It looks like a resistor. Probably a pull-up/down resistor or a jumper. You really can't be sure for the consequences without a schematic. If it works for a week or so without problems... 

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 12:15:49 pm »
If it works fine don't worry about it.

If you really want to test the phone, and see if you can find any issues, i would start by looking at where those 5 nearby connectors go. If they each go to a sensor or module then you have some functions to start testing.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 12:21:28 pm by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline RodastTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 12:40:50 pm »
I did some more invesigation and the tiny piece seems to be an FL21 or in other words a filter for the front VGA camera.

So I guess as soon as this camera will be tried out again I will get what I deserve ;-)

Luckily it doesen't seem to be one of the most frequently used parts on that phone.

If it were my own device I would probably just jumper it to get it working again....

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 01:26:09 pm »
FL21 - filter choke for 2.85V supply to camera.

A jumper across it may be OK, or you can just find a suitable replacement like this:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/BLM03AG100SN1D/490-2555-1-ND/610981

Offline dfmischler

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 01:37:01 pm »
So I guess as soon as this camera will be tried out again I will get what I deserve ;-)

Aw, are you saying she loves her iPhone more than she loves you?   ::)   Besides, she probably doesn't have anything important to take pictures of, anyway.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 02:34:15 pm »
My phone has a front camera but ive only used it once and that was to see if it actually worked. :D
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline DarkPrince

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 02:52:18 pm »
I did some more invesigation and the tiny piece seems to be an FL21 or in other words a filter for the front VGA camera.

Luckily it doesen't seem to be one of the most frequently used parts on that phone.

If it were my own device I would probably just jumper it to get it working again....

Surely she already knows of the misfortune during the repair due to when you told her, correct? Nothing to worry about. Mistakes happen.  :D

Yeah phone cameras are overrated (ish).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf