Author Topic: Triplett 630 Analog Meter Calibration/Repair/Adjustment  (Read 5546 times)

Offline proschunoTopic starter

• Contributor
Triplett 630 Analog Meter Calibration/Repair/Adjustment
« on: March 16, 2014, 12:53:22 pm »
So I just obtained a free Triplett 630A multimeter from a guy, and after testing and measuring it it works quite well, especially on the 1.2 mA DC range, it's spot on. However, it tends to be a little off, usually by 3-4%, on the voltage and any currents above 12mA Dc range.

Also, what read 120V AC on two flukes read 100V on the triplett, so I doubt it'll work accurately on high voltages ( which I frequently work with playing with vacuum tubes). The original manual says that it can be precise as 1.5% on all ranges (is this true, or just 'hype'?)

EDIT:

Measuring the internal resistors, many of them have fallen out of spec, they are .5% resistors. I'm supposing this is what's leading to inaccuracies, however all the resistors for the mA range have fallen out of spec, yet they are accurate for the most part (as stated the 1.2 mA range is spot on).

So could there also be something wrong with the dial itself?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 06:36:53 pm by proschuno »

Offline Napalm2002

• Regular Contributor
Re: Triplett 630 Analog Meter Calibration
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 04:06:25 pm »
i also am curious.  anyone?

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
Re: Triplett 630 Analog Meter Calibration/Repair/Adjustment
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 03:02:07 am »
So I just obtained a free Triplett 630A multimeter from a guy, and after testing and measuring it it works quite well, especially on the 1.2 mA DC range, it's spot on. However, it tends to be a little off, usually by 3-4%, on the voltage and any currents above 12mA Dc range.

Also, what read 120V AC on two flukes read 100V on the triplett, so I doubt it'll work accurately on high voltages ( which I frequently work with playing with vacuum tubes). The original manual says that it can be precise as 1.5% on all ranges (is this true, or just 'hype'?)

EDIT:

Measuring the internal resistors, many of them have fallen out of spec, they are .5% resistors. I'm supposing this is what's leading to inaccuracies, however all the resistors for the mA range have fallen out of spec, yet they are accurate for the most part (as stated the 1.2 mA range is spot on).

So could there also be something wrong with the dial itself?
I would swap out the resistors first, and then try again. Also might try some Deoxit on the switches.
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
Re: Triplett 630 Analog Meter Calibration/Repair/Adjustment
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 03:55:06 am »
Here is the manual
http://www.triplett.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/84-668.pdfWhat ranges is it ogg on, and
What ranges is it off on, and how well is it on resistances?
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf