Author Topic: Trouble identifying a value  (Read 2349 times)

Offline PscyloTopic starter

• Contributor
Trouble identifying a value
« on: June 05, 2015, 10:46:54 am »
May have been better of in beginners, but since it's an attempted repair (not critical equipment just to see if I can), I thought I would ask here.

The attached is ostensibly a resistor (not seen a green one that I can remember, but still, marked as R "something" on the board). MM shows it as low resistance, but I can't make much sense of the colour bands. The first and last are either white or grey (or one white one grey etc), the middle are red, silver and gold. I can't seem to match this up to the various charts available for resistors (or for axial inductors for that matter). For resistors, I can't position gold and sivler as adjacent bands in those positions and for inductors, five band would indicate military standard and require silver to start which I don't have.

Anyway, I'm guessing I'm being dim, so would appreciate some assistance.

Thanks.

Online wraper

• Supporter
Re: Trouble identifying a value
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 10:56:42 am »
0.91 ohm, 5%. This is 3 band value marking. 4th band is tolerance. 5th band is manufacturer specific, could mean resistor type and some other things.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 11:01:27 am by wraper »

Offline Deathwish

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 11:09:23 am »
.92 ohms 5%
Electrons are typically male, always looking for any hole to get into.
trying to strangle someone who talks out of their rectal cavity will fail, they can still breath.
God hates North Wales, he has put my home address on the blacklist of all couriers with instructions to divert all parcels.

Offline Andy Watson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 11:44:58 am »
If you consider the first band to be grey rather than white you would have 0.82 - which is a preferred value.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 12:36:13 pm »
.92 ohms 5%
Such (standard) value does not exist.
If you consider the first band to be grey rather than white you would have 0.82 - which is a preferred value.
From the picture, for me first band looks almost certainly white, second band is obviously brown, not red unless I'm daltonic.

Offline mij59

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 01:15:47 pm »
1.8 Ohms fusible

Offline PscyloTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 03:15:22 pm »

From the picture, for me first band looks almost certainly white, second band is obviously brown, not red unless I'm daltonic.
[/quote]

Second band could indeed be brown, but the white/grey issue is less clear cut. They certainly appear to be different colours at each end of the component dending on orientation and thickness of paint; if it weren't for that perceived difference and the presence of two bands of a similar coilour I would probably book either one as white individually. Either way I guess I know it's around 0.82 to 0.92 which is precise enough I think. My meter makes it 1.1Ohm though I don't know how accurate the meter is.

Thanks all.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 04:51:58 pm »
but the white/grey issue is less clear cut.
Grey bands on resistors are much darker. Not some kind of light grey.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf