Author Topic: Sony AV receiver sometimes only right channel working...  (Read 2612 times)

Offline darkyputzTopic starter

Sony AV receiver sometimes only right channel working...
« on: July 16, 2015, 01:28:47 am »
Hello friends of the short circuit...

I have a sony av receiver that works pretty well...
but since a while, the left channel likes to mute out...
Turning it louder or hitting against the receiver is solving the problem soemtimes for the rest of the day or just a fewseconds before it starts again...
Any Idea what taht could be or how to find the bad part?

Thx in advance...

Offline KG7AMV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Rhine_Labs
    • My Personal Blog
Re: Sony AV receiver sometimes only right channel working...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 01:46:41 am »
Bad Solder Connection?

Offline BurningTantalum

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 02:00:20 am »
Hi,
I recall the same issue with a Sony AV amp, but cannot recall the model number. Had a similar problem with a Kenwood that I still use. Both were down to dry joints.
If you haven't looked at an issue like this before (apologies if this is an insult...)- use a plastic prod to press around the PCB (s) whilst the unit is on and working. Have a good look with a STRONG magnifying lens; best to remove the whole PCB for this- daylight is best because of the reflections from the solder joints. It takes longer than you would imagine to check all joints on a PCB so patience is the thing. Obviously if you have a scope then a stereo amp repair is a doddle- find where the signal disappears on one channel but not the other. Don't forget to check any speaker protection relays, and the output and input switching. A damp finger introducing hum can be an easy technique, but make sure that the mains only goes to the transformer primary. Some amps have 50V-0-50V PSUs so can bite.
BT

Offline tec5c

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 09:03:09 am »
+1 for dry joints.

Some Sony models have a panel on the bottom that allows for ease of access to work on, though I can't recall which models these are. Otherwise, gain access to the bottom of the main board and start inspecting the solder joints of the output transistors and associated circuitry.

Offline radioFlash

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 12:24:27 am »
I had a Sony receiver from the mid 90's with intermittent power issues. It turned out to be a broken solder joint around the power transformer. In my model, the transformer was soldered to the PCB, so a little movement, and you had broken joints. I found it by tapping around with a non-conductive stick.

Offline darkyputzTopic starter

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 01:47:35 pm »
Broken joint sounds promissing...cause when i turn volume up to max or tab the device sound returns...
Which could also be a capazitator i think, but i will inspect my jammy for joints...first
Thx so far...
If any one has additional ideas...
I am open to all

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 11:27:35 pm »
First thing to check with intermittent issues like that is cracked solder joints.

Older gear can also suffer from oxidisation on the connector pins, so cleaning each half with a small squirt of contact cleaner can help.

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 03:29:20 am »
would be nice to know the model ?     i have repaired quite a lot in the past.

Bad solder, cold joint where very common .... take your time to check evrything.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf