Author Topic: Trying to identify this SMD IC  (Read 897 times)

Offline YaminTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Trying to identify this SMD IC
« on: August 03, 2020, 05:05:48 pm »
Hi guys,
I am trying to identify this SMD IC (U8 in the photo). I think its some kind of dc/dc converter, voltage detect IC.
The markings on the IC are:
6CJ
PF36
I think the ‘PF36’ is the important bit. I was able to find similar kind of ICs with PF36 but nothing which really matched to the package type or the marking.

The dimensions of the package is:
3mm x 3mm
There are total of 10 pins (5 on each side) plus the ground on the bottom it does peak out from the sides as well.
What is this package type?

I have this faulty unit which does not power up.  It has got a ‘soft power switch’. It gets stuck half way during power up sequence. Trying to troubleshoot this section of the circuit. I have included a picture of this section which I have started to trace, maybe it might be of help.

Thanks in advance for the help

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
Re: Trying to identify this SMD IC
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 05:41:45 pm »
Plunking 0304 into the marking lookup on TI's website hits on the TPS40304, whose package completely matches what you describe, and whose simplified (p. 1) and typical (fig 22, p. 25) application schematics match what you started to sketch.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 06:00:22 pm by tooki »

The following users thanked this post: Yamin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 08:45:05 pm »
Plunking 0304 into the marking lookup on TI's website hits on the TPS40304, whose package completely matches what you describe, and whose simplified (p. 1) and typical (fig 22, p. 25) application schematics match what you started to sketch.
We've got a winner!:D  Thanks so much, just out of curiosity @tooki how were you able to guess it? I find it so hard to get the right part number from these codes.
Even right now I'm struggling to find the part number for code 'AGCG' its an SOT 26 package. I know its some kind of voltage regulator or buck converter used to derive the 3.3V power rail. I have searched so much no luck :(.

On a different note:
I might have figured out why the unit I have is failing to power up. The capacitor at pin 2 (C1) seems to be open. I have removed and checked it, could that capacitor being open have caused the unit not to power up? Now the problem is I don't know which capacitor value to replace it with. The example circuit on the data sheet says 3.3nF - what would happen if I go above it? I recall that the unit takes quite a bit of time to start up from the initial 'all led on'.

Thanks for the help again :)

Offline fzabkar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 11:47:40 pm »
If you leave pin #2 open, the device should start up without any soft-start delay.

FYI …

https://www.ti.com/packaging/docs/partlookup.tsp
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 11:49:52 pm by fzabkar »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 09:27:24 am »
If you leave pin #2 open, the device should start up without any soft-start delay.

FYI …

https://www.ti.com/packaging/docs/partlookup.tsp
Oh I was hoping that it was going to be the fault,  |O
I haven't change the capacitor yet as I haven't got a 3.3nF capacitor. Could it be the micro controller 'expects' a soft start and is not starting up because of that?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf