Author Topic: TVS Diode selection  (Read 236 times)

Offline jerrykTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
TVS Diode selection
« on: March 07, 2024, 11:20:43 pm »
I'm trying to replace a failed TVS diode in this small RYOBI 40V battery charger.  It's a friends unit and he said the battery would not charge.  A small burn mark inside the cover led me to TVS1 on the board in the photo.  It was slightly fractured but still had a readable marking code.  Rather than write it down I plugged the battery into the charger and poof went the diode top. Now I'm in the dark on how to select a replacement other than the size seems to be DO 214AC and the voltage across the diode is around 42V and change.  I have charged the battery a couple of times without the TVS and all seems correct.

Any help/wisdom on how to determine the proper replacement TVS would be greatly appreciated.

Jerry

Online fzabkar

• Super Contributor
Re: TVS Diode selection
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2024, 12:11:59 am »
FWIW, I can see a small TVS2 component near the bottom battery terminal (?).

Offline jerrykTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: TVS Diode selection
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2024, 01:24:11 am »
There are 5 TVS diodes on this board but I was reading the silk screen wrong and thought TVS5 was the small diode directly above it.  I ruled all the others out because of their small size. But now that I'm reading the silk screen correctly TVS5 is an SMAJ51A which is the correct package size and seems like it might fit.  Voltage across TVS5 is also 42V.

Thanks,

Jerry

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf