Author Topic: Video Teardown and Repair of a Fluke 196B Handheld ScopeMeter  (Read 14342 times)

Offline HugoneusTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Signal Path Video Blog
Video Teardown and Repair of a Fluke 196B Handheld ScopeMeter
« on: November 20, 2012, 01:48:18 pm »
In this episode Shahriar goes through the teardown and repair process of a Fluke 196B Handheld ScopeMeter. This unit, which has been purchased as a “dead” unit from eBay, is examined for faults. During the teardown, various PCB components, architecture and design is presented. The performance and functionality of the unit is verified with a few brief experiments. Finally, the schematic and block diagram of the Fluke 196B is explored for the finer details of its design and operation.

See video here: [56 Minutes]
http://thesignalpath.com/blogs/2012/11/20/teardown-and-repair-of-a-fluke-196b-handheld-scopemeter/

More videos at The Signal Path:
http://www.TheSignalPath.com

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Video Teardown and Repair of a Fluke 196B Handheld ScopeMeter
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 12:24:01 am »
Does anyone know where I can buy the back cover for this unit? Fluke's prices are very high and have a 6-weeks delivery on them!

Offline iloveelectronics

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 12:34:06 am »
Very nice video! Thanks for uploading it. What a steal you've got there! Although I'm just a hobbyist I still thoroughly enjoy your channel. You are a very good teacher.

As for the back cover I have no idea where to buy but perhaps you can make some measurements and 3D print one?

My email address: franky @ 99centHobbies . com
My eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/99centhobbies

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 12:47:18 am »
Very nice video! Thanks for uploading it. What a steal you've got there! Although I'm just a hobbyist I still thoroughly enjoy your channel. You are a very good teacher.

As for the back cover I have no idea where to buy but perhaps you can make some measurements and 3D print one?

I know I can get them from Fluke directly. The problem is that they are charging $100 for just the back cover alone! And another $35 for the screws and the bottom hostler. And I have to wait 6-weeks.

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 12:46:48 pm »
order it, you got it way cheaper then a new one or a completly working unit. its a pretty thick plastic cover btw  6 weeks to get it and a few bucks. till that dont touch the metal parts however its isolated fro mthe probe inputs i guess but still better to dont touch it. look at the prices for the probes, now thats insane not the back cover's price

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 05:19:12 pm »
order it, you got it way cheaper then a new one or a completly working unit. its a pretty thick plastic cover btw  6 weeks to get it and a few bucks. till that dont touch the metal parts however its isolated fro mthe probe inputs i guess but still better to dont touch it. look at the prices for the probes, now thats insane not the back cover's price

I went ahead and ordered the parts. I am also using a pair of Tektronix probes with the Fluke and they work very well.

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 05:28:53 pm »
So, have you figured out what the fault might be?  ;D

Offline Nirios

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 06:02:38 pm »
In this episode Shahriar goes through the teardown and repair process of a Fluke 196B Handheld ScopeMeter. This unit, which has been purchased as a “dead” unit from eBay, is examined for faults. During the teardown, various PCB components, architecture and design is presented. The performance and functionality of the unit is verified with a few brief experiments. Finally, the schematic and block diagram of the Fluke 196B is explored for the finer details of its design and operation.

Great video and congratulations on the ebay score.  I know if I would have bought one, my luck would be that one of the ASICs would have a burn hole in it. :)

I am however very happy with my ScopeMeter 123.  It is an older unit with only 20 Mhz BW, but I "repaired" it by replacing the NiCd battery pack.  The original pack had some fault that caused it to rapidly turn on and off even when plugged into the AC adapter.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 06:07:21 pm »

Great video and congratulations on the ebay score.  I know if I would have bought one, my luck would be that one of the ASICs would have a burn hole in it. :)

I am however very happy with my ScopeMeter 123.  It is an older unit with only 20 Mhz BW, but I "repaired" it by replacing the NiCd battery pack.  The original pack had some fault that caused it to rapidly turn on and off even when plugged into the AC adapter.

I fully charged the NiMH battery that I bought for it and ran it on battery. It did last for about 4 hours as advertised. Right now I charge it using a lab supply. :)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 07:54:45 pm by Hugoneus »

Offline billclay

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 06:53:05 pm »

The Fluke 123 / 43 line of meters don't work at all with a fully discharged battery or without a battery (even with the power cord plugged in, really stupid.)

Offline WBB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 08:43:13 pm »
Great videos! I have only one question... Have you purchased any lottery tickets?

Really enjoy your videos, very educational.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 09:28:10 pm »
Great videos! I have only one question... Have you purchased any lottery tickets?

Really enjoy your videos, very educational.

Hehe, no lottery tickets... yet!

Thanks for the kind comments.

Offline kek

• Regular Contributor
    • Ken's Electronics Projects
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2012, 01:26:28 am »
I have a 192b at work and do remember having to remove the bad battery before I could at least get it working while powered from the power adapter.

Offline Lexy

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2012, 09:15:39 pm »
I have also a bought a few of these ‘broken’ units the past years. Spend around 800Euro’s in total on all the units. I had 2 complete units, one even with probes and power supply, one unit with only the front cover with display and 2 units with only mainboard and shielding.  From all these parts I was able to make 2 complete working units, a 199C and a 196B. The 199C I use almost every day at work and is working like a charm. The 196B unit is still a little bit faulty.
So, what was wrong with these units? They basically have the same problem: it is a lose contact under the BGA (D-ASIC, it is a custom made ARM processor). The one in the 199B started working after some pressure applied to the D-ASIC, so I reflowed it again with a hotair soldering gun and a preheater. I did this also with the one in the 196B, but this one still has a problem with a soldering joint or other contact problem. BTW: in the service manual, par. 7.5.12 RAM Test, there are instructions how to test the RAM/FLASH module. If my 196B is not working, this test fails, indicating there is a address line problem. So I think I need to remove the D-ASIC, reball it and try to place it back, but that is a hell of a job. But the other mainboards are more problematic. I did a thorough investigation on one motherboard, which I could not get to work, even after removing, and reballing the D-ASIC. So I checked all connections under the BGA with an ohm meter and noted the ones that had no resistance at all. I looked up these suspicious pads in the schematic and measured (with a continuity test) if the other side of the trace was connected. There was no connection. Further investigation revealed that the via under the BGA was faulty. Some via’s were ‘repairable’ by placing a very thin (tinned) copper wire into the via (with some flux) and then heat it with a soldering iron. Some of the connections were indeed restored, but some not, so I never continued this way.
But to make a long story longer, I think the 19xB/C series scopemeters have a problem with their BGA soldering and there PCB’s.  And I think the unit of Hugoneus can also have this same problem, which, maybe, turn up sooner or later.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 09:20:49 pm »
I have also a bought a few of these ‘broken’ units the past years. Spend around 800Euro’s in total on all the units. I had 2 complete units, one even with probes and power supply, one unit with only the front cover with display and 2 units with only mainboard and shielding.  From all these parts I was able to make 2 complete working units, a 199C and a 196B. The 199C I use almost every day at work and is working like a charm. The 196B unit is still a little bit faulty.
So, what was wrong with these units? They basically have the same problem: it is a lose contact under the BGA (D-ASIC, it is a custom made ARM processor). The one in the 199B started working after some pressure applied to the D-ASIC, so I reflowed it again with a hotair soldering gun and a preheater. I did this also with the one in the 196B, but this one still has a problem with a soldering joint or other contact problem. BTW: in the service manual, par. 7.5.12 RAM Test, there are instructions how to test the RAM/FLASH module. If my 196B is not working, this test fails, indicating there is a address line problem. So I think I need to remove the D-ASIC, reball it and try to place it back, but that is a hell of a job. But the other mainboards are more problematic. I did a thorough investigation on one motherboard, which I could not get to work, even after removing, and reballing the D-ASIC. So I checked all connections under the BGA with an ohm meter and noted the ones that had no resistance at all. I looked up these suspicious pads in the schematic and measured (with a continuity test) if the other side of the trace was connected. There was no connection. Further investigation revealed that the via under the BGA was faulty. Some via’s were ‘repairable’ by placing a very thin (tinned) copper wire into the via (with some flux) and then heat it with a soldering iron. Some of the connections were indeed restored, but some not, so I never continued this way.
But to make a long story longer, I think the 19xB/C series scopemeters have a problem with their BGA soldering and there PCB’s.  And I think the unit of Hugoneus can also have this same problem, which, maybe, turn up sooner or later.

Re-balling a BGA is a hell of a job! This unit has been working so far. If it does fail, I will be sure to look into what you have suggested. Thank you.

Offline prasadj1979

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2013, 08:28:34 am »
I have a fluke 199c which does not power up i have replaced the battery and the adapter is new please help.

Offline paf123

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2024, 07:50:01 am »
Thanks for the heads up. I have a 199c with no boot issue. I ran the D-Asic mask memory test and all was ok. I then removed the memory module ran the tests again and it still passed go figure ?? I probed all the obvious critical stuff and all seemed ok but not knowing anything definitive about the D-asic mask software it was looking like the runtime software was failing i.e. not loading or corrupt. What to do I was about to embark on "feedback.loops" memory card development, programming  path and thenoss stumbled across your post re the D-ASIC balling failing so i put a bit of pressure with my finger on it hit the on button and bingo everything works. Now how to fixit is the next problem.

cheers

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf