Author Topic: Video Teardown and Repair of an Agilent E3634A Power Supply  (Read 7296 times)

Offline HugoneusTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Signal Path Video Blog
In this episode Shahriar investigates the cause of failure of an E3634A DC Power Supply. The video features a step by step troubleshooting and teardown of the damaged power supply. Various schematics and block diagram of the power supply are presented. Will he be able to fix it?

http://thesignalpath.com/blogs/2012/06/04/teardown-and-repair-of-an-agilent-e3634a-power-supply/

The Signal Path
http://www.TheSignalPath.com

Offline metalphreak

• Frequent Contributor
  • http://d.av.id.au
    • D.av.id.AU
Re: Video Teardown and Repair of an Agilent E3634A Power Supply
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 02:45:52 pm »
Aaaaah! As soon as I saw you going for that SMD diode with the cutters I was yelling "NOOOO THE PAAAAAADS". Lucky it was one of the unnecessary pads :) (probably part of why it lifted as well, having no tracks holding it under the soldermask).

Perhaps time to invest in a $100 hot air tool like the Atten Dave reviewed?

It's amazing how many products can be rendered inoperable by a single part failure. I'm sure lots of consumer hardware is thrown out simply because a diode, capacitor, or resistor has failed, and people simply have no interest in repairing them. Something still valuable like test gear is always worth saving! :)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 06:03:15 pm »
Yes, given the amount of space I had to work with, I took the risk and decided to break it off. I also knew that one pad was unused and since it had no trace at all, it just came off.

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 06:15:29 pm »
A lucky or temporary fix IMO.

The zener looked like it had let some smoke out. Hard to imagine a 2.4v zener failing high voltage so it could over dissipate and cook. Mostly likely the 15v rail was overloaded.

I expected the replacement zener to immediately smoke but I guess the overload must and been temporary or intermittent. If it were my supply I would be keeping my fingers crossed.

Offline codeboy2k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 10:10:19 pm »
 .... "29 minutes and a couple of bottles of beer" ... :)

Thanks for the video... I always enjoy watching.

I expected the replacement zener to immediately smoke but I guess the overload must and been temporary or intermittent. If it were my supply I would be keeping my fingers crossed.

It seems to work. If it goes out again, he'll at least know to look for something overloading the 15V rail next.

Offline MikeK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 12:00:49 am »
So which do you say shows correct voltage...The readout on the power supply, or the readout on the multimeter?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 12:40:50 am »
So which do you say shows correct voltage...The readout on the power supply, or the readout on the multimeter?

Both show the correct voltage.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 12:43:34 am »
A lucky or temporary fix IMO.

The zener looked like it had let some smoke out. Hard to imagine a 2.4v zener failing high voltage so it could over dissipate and cook. Mostly likely the 15v rail was overloaded.

I appreciate your comment. I don't do things half-way. In the past 48-hours I have put the power supply in an automated loop through its GPIB interface where every 15 minutes a random voltage is selected to deliver 150W to an active load. So far the supply has not failed. After 48 hours of such stressed operation I am more confident to use the supply for my regular experiments. If it does fail again, at least I know where to start looking! :)

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 04:07:36 am »
After 48 hours of such stressed operation I am more confident to use the supply for my regular experiments. If it does fail again, at least I know where to start looking! :)

So how do you think it failed?

Briefly looking that the circuits there seem to be some reasonably direct paths from the output and sense terminals to op-amps powered from that +15v. Maybe a zap on the terminals caused one of them to latch up and killed the zener before anything else failed.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 03:03:59 pm »
After 48 hours of such stressed operation I am more confident to use the supply for my regular experiments. If it does fail again, at least I know where to start looking! :)

So how do you think it failed?

Briefly looking that the circuits there seem to be some reasonably direct paths from the output and sense terminals to op-amps powered from that +15v. Maybe a zap on the terminals caused one of them to latch up and killed the zener before anything else failed.

Perhaps it suffered a power surge, or simply failed due to aging. Of course I can't completely rule out that there is some bigger underlying problem. I will keep you guys posted if it fails again.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf