Author Topic: VIZ WA-504B/44D Bad Transformer?  (Read 428 times)

Offline tplayneTopic starter

VIZ WA-504B/44D Bad Transformer?
« on: March 05, 2024, 05:56:50 pm »
Ive been trying to repair a VIZ WA-504B/44D audio generator that is misbehaving. I been tracking issues back and through the circuit and I found something on the output of the transformer(while still connected to the circuit) that I cant really explain, which Ive included below. Looking at the schematic here , the output of the (center tapped) transformer is piped directly into a textbook example of a 2 diode full bridge rectifier, right out of "The Art of Electronics". I am at a total loss to explain the wildly asymmetric droop on the transformer output. This droop also corresponds to a strong negative bias of the generated waveforms, that can hardly get above 0v, but is pulled well below the expected -10v on the swing.

Is it possible that this is just a bad transformer? If not, what could explain such a aggressive droop.

PS. Im in USA, so this is appears to be a 120 to 240 step up transformer.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 06:07:16 pm by tplayne »

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
Re: VIZ WA-504B/44D Bad Transformer?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2024, 02:02:24 pm »
Transformer alone can't do what you described.

What you see over C109?
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Triplett-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Offline Vicus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2024, 05:19:40 pm »
Probably something shorted to ground and the transformer can't push higher voltage.

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2024, 04:13:17 am »
Out of the diodes pair and thus the high side of  C109Aa Im getting somewhat wibbly 112V DC. Then at the high side of C109b I have  92v DC, while at highisde of c109c there is 44v dc. I measured the relevant resistors for the power area and they seem within spec. So the cap (or single conjoined cap in this case) seem to be doing their job as smoothing and rectifying elements. I suppose they could have significant leakage current, but I haven't pulled it from the board yet, so I cant test that theory yet. Im not even sure I can test it with equipment on hand. Assuming it is leakage current, it doesn't seem to come in to play until +112v DC.  My DC power supply will only do +64v in parallel mode, which obviously wont put me into the failure domain.   

Tom

Offline Jason Henry

• Contributor
  • !
    • None
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2024, 08:46:58 am »
The asymmetric droop on the transformer output may indicate a faulty diode in the full bridge rectifier. Check and replace the diodes to see if it resolves the issue before considering the transformer as the culprit.

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2024, 03:33:53 pm »
Power supply part seems to be as it should, but can't find the actual voltage values.
(C109A is not enough as a reservoir then R115 is dropping the voltage a bit and then C109B is smoothing the rest)

Probe is 10X so scope should be just fine.

What voltages RMS DMM is giving from the transformer?
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Triplett-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2024, 09:03:19 pm »
Ok I tested them and they are toasted. Over 1v drop in both directions. I thought I had already tested them but I guess not. Well 1n4007s are cheap and easy to get. I might still swap the big Mallory cap, since CE isnt making this exact 40/40/100 combo anymore. Each measures ok on my lcr meter but... who knows

-Tom   
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 09:07:36 pm by tplayne »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf