Author Topic: Wavetek 114 Sweep Generator, Exploded Caps  (Read 1994 times)

Offline CyberdragonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Wavetek 114 Sweep Generator, Exploded Caps
« on: October 20, 2016, 07:31:22 pm »
I heard rattling bits inside. I thought it was just bits of dirt, but nope. The rattling bits were a dead moth (EW!) and the remains of two capacitors (UH OH! :scared:).

The caps were Richy brand 100uF 15V. Are Richy caps just crap or is there a serious problem? (I'll get pics once I have it all apart)

The attenuator control is also stuck, but I have to find the cause of the burned out caps first.

EDIT: Finding more exploded caps! This is getting grim! :scared:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 07:43:57 pm by Cyberdragon »
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline radioFlash

• Regular Contributor
Re: Wavetek 114 Sweep Generator, Exploded Caps
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 02:20:04 am »
That looks similar to the VCG board of my Wavetek 116. Attached is a photo and schematic for the 116. You should check the power supply voltages.

Offline singapol

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Wavetek 114 Sweep Generator, Exploded Caps
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 04:08:33 am »
If you look at the schematic title block it's dated late 60's almost 50 years old what do you expect?
Given Richy brand is not one of the premium brands it has served it's useful life. As a matter of fact learned articles have said the max. max. life span of an electrolytic cap is between 20 -28 years. although there are cases where caps over 50 yrs. are still running in equipment but that's not the reality or norm. Remember the oxide layer (insulation ) is only molecule thick...how small is it? Once the electrolyte dries up it's goodbye cap. ;D 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf