Author Topic: Wavetek 2407  (Read 449 times)

Offline ee1993Topic starter

Wavetek 2407
« on: June 02, 2022, 03:47:13 pm »
Boat anchor test instrument question: I have a Wavetek 2407R with failing RF. It’s a 500 MHz signal Generator with FM Deviation meter. Trying to decide if it’s worth repair or maybe try the repair as a learning exercise. The “R” designation, I believe, stands for Ruggedized as this unit is in a molded case with cover and internal surround padding.   Likely intended for field maintenance of repeaters, as the instrument includes an FM deviation meter.

It has set unused for many years now. The instrument passes its internal self-checks and will output a clean signal at first, but soon begins jumping around the set frequency and eventually settles down but extremely noisy.  If left on long enough, it will lose lock and output a clean signal way off frequency.  I suspect power supply issues but have yet to open the unit.  I do have a manual (typewritten for 1988 or so).   

Anyone here have any experience with this Signal Generator?

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
Re: Wavetek 2407
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2022, 04:44:31 pm »
I own a non-R Wavetek 2407.  A manual for it is available at  https://bama.edebris.com/download/wavetek/2407/Wavetek_2407_Operating_with_Service.pdf
(Maybe the same "typewritten" manual you have.)
Mine was received in operating condition, but was out of calibration.  If you are able to restore its function, you will need a device to measure its output over the frequency range in order to get the power output calibration table updated.
I haven't used the deviation meter, but mine works well as an FM or CW generator.

Offline ee1993Topic starter

Re: Wavetek 2407
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2022, 05:26:15 pm »
Thanks.  I found this:
 http://www.radiomuseum.co.uk/wavetek.html

After reading through, it seems that my problem is likely the same as his was.  I was testing at 100MHz and he found that the problem went away for all frequencies above 137.5 MHz.  The lower frequencies are mixed down through a different path.  I then verified that my unit has clean signals at 200MHz.  Well, relatively clean as it has upper and lower spurs 70 dB down 450KHz above and below the main. Calibration seems to be close as measured on my old HP spec an. I'll plan to open the beast and take a look at the RF card.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf