Author Topic: What is this terminal?  (Read 3840 times)

Offline ExcavatoreeTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
What is this terminal?
« on: December 28, 2014, 11:34:36 pm »
I'm repairing a battery charger for my father.  There's nothing wrong with it, other than the fact it seems to have been submerged in water for about a year or so.  The circuit breaker was a disintegrated, rusted mess, but I jumpered it (temporarily) then fixed several bad connections, cleaned the PCB, etc. and got it working. Now, the problem is the transformer connections are via these funny terminals.

I've searched the internet, but can't find anything like this.  It's 3.5 mm wide.  The transformer has sockets, and this terminal plugs in.   The shallow depth of field causes the several broken strands to be a blurred mess.  I need to crimp on a replacement, but I can't find one.    Can anyone help me find one? 

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: What is this terminal?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 11:45:21 pm »
Maybe these? Scroll down the page till you get near the end where they list "transformer spades" -

http://www.indiamart.com/shankar-brazing-works/transformer-parts.html
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 01:09:17 am »
Unfortunately, that company's products seem to be for high voltage and/or large transformers.  The transformer I have is a tiny 1.5-2 ampere battery charger.  I can't find any terminals that small.  Even the #2 stud fork terminals I find are too large.

Now,  to figure out what to do.   The transformer has no solder lugs.  The sockets are part of the molded transformer base, not much chance of digging around and getting a good piece of metal to solder to. 

I'm tempted to try to pry apart the crimp on the terminal I have, re-strip the wire, and then form the "crimp" back and solder.  Sometimes that works, sometimes, it breaks.   I've seen nothing, after several days of searching, off and on, anything like the tiny terminals that this thing uses.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 08:30:52 am »
Assuming you mean the 3.5mm is the inside dimension of the spade, it seems you're looking for #6/M3.5 stud size spade/fork terminals. Mouser search.

Hope this helps.  :)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 08:34:12 am by nanofrog »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 01:56:29 pm »
Assuming you mean the 3.5mm is the inside dimension of the spade, it seems you're looking for #6/M3.5 stud size spade/fork terminals. Mouser search.

I don't know the stud size, but the 3.5 mm is the overall width of the terminal, not the stud diameter.  I found terminals for #2 studs, but they are larger. I couldn't find terminals for #1 studs, and I'm not even sure #1 is a legitimate size.  I find it strange that the terminals seem to be for a tiny stud, but the connection is made by wiping contacts - a flat blade with no cutout would work as well, but I can't find anything like that either.

I should have taped it to my micro ruler.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 02:01:06 pm by Excavatoree »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 08:47:56 pm »

I don't know the stud size, but the 3.5 mm is the overall width of the terminal, not the stud diameter.  I found terminals for #2 studs, but they are larger. I couldn't find terminals for #1 studs, and I'm not even sure #1 is a legitimate size.  I find it strange that the terminals seem to be for a tiny stud, but the connection is made by wiping contacts - a flat blade with no cutout would work as well, but I can't find anything like that either.

I should have taped it to my micro ruler.
Not aware of anything that narrow (custom size ?).

Maybe use a #1-2/M2 stud size fork terminal (~4.6 - 4.75mm wide), and file the outer edges a bit to get it to fit (~0.625mm tops per side)?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 12:04:36 am »
I believe that's what it will come down to.    (Finding something close and trimming it to fit)  Strange, I wouldn't think a company would have a terminal custom made for a battery charger.    These are usually "throw away" 20 dollar US items, that most don't bother with, but I couldn't resist, and I know many on here are the same way. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf