Author Topic: What kind of connector is this?  (Read 1854 times)

Offline mountaindude

• Contributor
What kind of connector is this?
« on: December 13, 2015, 08:34:14 pm »
Salvaged a nice document scanner from a dumpster, but the power supply was lost.
And it doesn't use a regular barrel connector, rather one looking like the attached picture.

Tried Digikey searching and browsing product pages, as well as Google image search... Anyone know what manufacturer/model this is?

There a thousands if not millions of connectors with a rounded bottom part, but this one has a hexagonal-shaped lower part...

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 08:59:46 pm by mountaindude »

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
Re: What kind of connector is this?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 09:00:39 pm »
Looks like a Molex FIT- series, probably a Mini-Fit Jr. or something but probably a custom version so you won't be able to find one with the exact keying that your connector has but you should be able to make a "standard" model one work but might have to cut/file a bit here or there to make it fit.

For testing you could probably use many different variety of socket contacts just individually stuck on the end of three wires or even just wires shoved into the pin shrouds...  At least then you could test the scanner to be sure it works before you bother to track down a compatible connector...  :)

Online edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 09:04:08 pm »
It would be a lot easier to help you if you told us the make and model of the scanner!

Ed

Offline mountaindude

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 09:11:14 pm »
It would be a lot easier to help you if you told us the make and model of the scanner!

Ed

Ed, you are of course absolutely right. It's an HP ScanJet 7000n series.
Been looking all through HP's docs, but it's not like they provide service manuals for those kind of devices..

Easiest is prob to just desolder the existing and put in something from the parts bin..

Offline mountaindude

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 09:13:47 pm »
Actually, maybe an old power connector from a harddrive (+ a sharp knife or a dremel) could do the trick....
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 09:07:07 am by mountaindude »

Online edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 10:29:37 pm »
These could be custom connectors.  For testing, I'd cobble up whatever I could.  If I wanted something permanent, I'd just buy a replacement adapter.  I saw one on ebay for $30.

Ed

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 05:06:10 am »
Heh, I already knew it was one of those HPs, they used those connectors for ages...  I have tons of them!

My advice still stands, they are a custom version of a standard Molex connector, like all HP stuff from that era...

Offline mountaindude

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 07:17:54 am »
Thanks guys, appreciate the responses!
I'll put something together, no worries. A few separate individual sockets and some epoxi will do the trick, if nothing else... :)

Offline mountaindude

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 07:53:06 pm »
I stumbled onto the actual connector - it's not a custom one, and it's available today, it seems.
It's a Molex 67969-0001, http://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/67969-0001/?qs=EuyFtE1skidA7JB%252b1%2fKIcw%3d%3d

/g

Online Tomorokoshi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2015, 08:07:15 pm »
Here's a trick. Does the local electronics superstore have a free electronics drop-off? They are usually overflowing with things like that.

Either bring in some other electronics junk and swap for it, or talk to the kid in that area to see if there is one around.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf