Electronics > Repair

What type of solder should I use for this type of repair ?

(1/4) > >>

l3gi0n:
I am repairing some game controllers. I want to replace the analog sticks. The newly soldered analog stick might get replaced again in the future...

Should I use Kester 245 which is no-clean or Kester 44 which is rosin core ? The datasheets for both state that cleaning is not required and a saponifier must be used to clean the residues. Will I have any problems with flux residues if I want to replace the stick multiple times ? Would flux residue buildup be a problem ?

Does the type of flux even matter in this situation ?

james_s:
It really shouldn't matter, any general purpose rosin core solder should work fine. If flux buildup becomes an issue you can clean it, but generally it isn't an issue, you will probably wear out the board before you'll end up with enough flux on it to be a problem.

flolic:
I fixed literally hundreds of PS4 controllers and replaced who know how many analogs on them. Flux residue is of no worry, you don't need to clean it.

l3gi0n:

--- Quote ---It really shouldn't matter, any general purpose rosin core solder should work fine. If flux buildup becomes an issue you can clean it, but generally it isn't an issue, you will probably wear out the board before you'll end up with enough flux on it to be a problem.
--- End quote ---

I am a bit confused here...No-Clean is a type of rosin core ?

Is Kester 245 Rosin core ?

james_s:
Yes, to my knowledge all electronics soldering fluxes are some kind of rosin.

Directly from the Kester spec sheet:
"Kester 245 was developed to complement low residue liquid fluxes being used by the electronics industry. The chemistry is based on some of the same principles that have been safely used for years in mildly activated rosin fluxes. The use of 245 results in visually acceptable assemblies without cleaning, yet soldering quality and efficiency is comparable to that obtained with mildly activated rosin flux. 245 is classified as ROL0 per J-STD-004. 245 is Bellcore GR-78 compliant.:

I interpret that as being some form of synthetic rosin.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version