Author Topic: What was your easiest repair ever?  (Read 62348 times)

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
Re: What was your easiest repair ever?
« Reply #300 on: February 28, 2020, 07:29:08 am »
It may have more to do with the joint quality. A cold joint that spikes up has a greater tendency to arc. Using a firestick with no flux is guaranteed to make those types of joints, even with 63/37.

Offline pcmad

• Regular Contributor
    • module web design
« Reply #301 on: February 28, 2020, 05:59:58 pm »
Just got a call to fix 5 broken PCs after test and tagging, this was in front of about 30 people.

Waved my magic wand (voltstick) and saw there was no incoming power. The cords looked plugged in but were not fully inserted.
That took one ute and there were a lot of red faces.  :P

i work in it and so many times i had poeple vontact me  say pc not on my frist question have you made sure it pluged in
Signature removed by gnif - spam

Offline george.b

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #302 on: February 28, 2020, 09:44:58 pm »
A B&W TV had a sizzling noise and a slightly ragged picture.  With the rear cover off and in a dimly lit room observed a small blue arc into space.  On closer inspection found to be a poor joint in the EHT department with a long solder whisker on the joint.  A quick application of physics and a nail file rounding off the joint and all well again. Yes I did power it down first. ;D

I had a HP 700/96 serial terminal that was making an audible HV noise. Nothing noticeable on the image, though. I took it apart, washed the board with soapy water, let it dry for a few days, and that fixed the noise issue. :)

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #303 on: February 29, 2020, 07:03:11 am »
Because a Windows 8 update was permanently stuck at 95% this Lenovo Z50 Notebook was replaced and about to be tossed. Managed to get my hands on it just in time.
The problem: BIOS was set to UEFI instead of legacy.  :palm: Simply changed that and Bingo!  :phew: It now has a SSD and a new life with Windows 10. After going though the usual Windows 10 motions of course to shut it up a bit. :box:
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Offline Ruediger

« Reply #304 on: April 01, 2020, 02:24:03 pm »
My simplest "repair" was an oscilloscope (built in 1975) that was used in a university project. When I joined the project they said it had been broken for 2 years and I can have or scrap it. After cleaning and setting it from 110 to 230V I could use it without any problems.

Another simple repair was a broken solder joint in a 30 year old audio amplifier .

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf