Author Topic: Where To Find Tek 2246 Spare Parts  (Read 1215 times)

Offline atw58Topic starter

Where To Find Tek 2246 Spare Parts
« on: January 31, 2019, 03:37:18 am »
Spent the last 2 days tracking down why the scope does not display a trace with the service manual and schematics. Beam Finder does show 4 dots one for each channel and vertical position adjustment works. The on-screen text appears and changes when the controls are changed so the general CRT functions ok. Power supply voltages are in spec and clean.

Fairly sure U421 A Trigger Source Selector IC is defective (Tektronix Part # 234023920). Timing signals arrive and no output while U431 B Trigger Source Selector which receives most of the same inputs as U421 outputs the expected trigger signals.

I emailed a request for the cost of the part from Tektronix. Couldn't find the part on eBay just broken units which could be scavenged. QService Electronics lists the part out of stock.

Any other suggestions.

Offline mr.fabe

• Regular Contributor
Re: Where To Find Tek 2246 Spare Parts
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 04:24:15 am »
For Tektronix parts you can try

https://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/tekparts.html

I did a quick cursory check for your part but did not see it listed.  You may want to contact them for availability.

There is also a TekScopes group on groups.io where other users may be able to help you locate your part(s).

You may need a parts scope for unobtanium parts.  I myself have 3 Tek 485's.. One was a working unit and the other was a non-working parts donor.  I fixed the donor and had to buy another parts scope just in case to keep the other two 485's running.  It never ends so don't repair the parts donor otherwise they multiply.

Offline particleman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 05:00:00 am »
If you are going to play the vintage scope game you are going to need parts scopes. Its pretty much the only way IMO.  It will save you a ton of money in the long run. Sometime your diagnosis is wrong and you spend close to what you could have on parts scope for just one custom IC. The next time something goes wrong you can swap parts and verify for sure and then order that part if you want. I do that a lot so I can keep boards together just in case I need to swap an entire board.

Offline atw58Topic starter

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 12:16:23 pm »
Was afraid of that. Ebay scopes are $50 US but $80 shipping and UPS charges $30 "brokerage" fee so after exchange rate the total cost is over $200 CAD. I bought mine with a diagnostic failure for $40 thinking it might be fun to fix. Compared to my low end 50Mhz Rigol this seemed like a nicer unit.

Offline mr.fabe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 09:38:53 pm »
If you are going to play the vintage scope game you are going to need parts scopes. Its pretty much the only way IMO.  It will save you a ton of money in the long run. Sometime your diagnosis is wrong and you spend close to what you could have on parts scope for just one custom IC.

Similar answer from the folks at the TekScopes group.

Rather than get a parts/repair scope look for a working one for a little more and use your old one for parts..

Offline particleman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 10:49:46 pm »
If you are going to play the vintage scope game you are going to need parts scopes. Its pretty much the only way IMO.  It will save you a ton of money in the long run. Sometime your diagnosis is wrong and you spend close to what you could have on parts scope for just one custom IC.

Similar answer from the folks at the TekScopes group.

Rather than get a parts/repair scope look for a working one for a little more and use your old one for parts..

That happens a lot of times. Sometimes the "parts" scope shows up in way better shape. Thats a good day.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf