Author Topic: Which scope to repair  (Read 1670 times)

Offline HextejasTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Which scope to repair
« on: June 25, 2018, 08:17:24 pm »
I have 3 scopes that I bought for small $$$. My intentions are to have 1 for audio systems repair and one to turn into a curve tracer according to a project by Mr. Carlson on Patreon. The 3 scopes are :
1) Leader LBO-516, 100mhz
2) Hameb HM-203-5
3) Tektronix 465B

They all power on but my skills are non existent so I don't know which ones are closer to being ok.
If they were all in 100% working order which 2 would you chose ?

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
Re: Which scope to repair
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 01:16:45 am »
If your skills are non existant, I suggest you start with the oscilloscope training thread over in the beginners section lest you end up with three non-powering on scopes.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline CarsonReidDavis

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 02:35:22 am »
I'd say the Tektronix is probably the nicest of the bunch. I know several people who use that as their main scope. Does yours have the digital multimeter on the top?

By the way, here is the link to the thread Cyberdragon is talking about https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/oscilloscope-training-class-(long)/

The video is over two hours long, but worth the watch.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 02:49:58 am by CarsonReidDavis »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 02:44:04 am »
I have 3 scopes that I bought for small $$$. My intentions are to have 1 for audio systems repair and one to turn into a curve tracer according to a project by Mr. Carlson on Patreon. The 3 scopes are :
1) Leader LBO-516, 100mhz
2) Hameb HM-203-5
3) Tektronix 465B

They all power on but my skills are non existent so I don't know which ones are closer to being ok.
If they were all in 100% working order which 2 would you chose ?
That's the problem, just use them and get the skills.
Then swap around which you're using and give it some little time to get used to the UI in each before picking a favorite.
Probably the Hameg is best quality but the Tek offers better online support and knowledge.
All are OK CRO's.

Oh and BTW MHz is the proper indication of BW units !  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline CarsonReidDavis

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 02:49:12 am »
Probably the Hameg is best quality but the Tek offers better online support and knowledge.
All are OK CRO's.

Tautech would probably know more than me on this subject. Although I own 6 Teks, I don't have any Hameg scopes to compare.

It should be noted that the Hameg is 20MHz and the Tek is 100MHz. Depending on your application, that could be an important distinction.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 02:55:30 am by CarsonReidDavis »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 02:53:40 am »
All are OK CRO's.

Tautech would definitely know more than me on this subject. Although I own 6 Teks, I don't have any Hameg scopes to compare.

It should be noted that the Hameg is 20MHz and the Tek is 100MHz. Depending on your application, that could be an important distinction.
Quite so however the OP has indicated his interest is in audio stuff for which a 20 MHz CRO will be adequate.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline CarsonReidDavis

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 02:58:15 am »
All are OK CRO's.

Tautech would definitely know more than me on this subject. Although I own 6 Teks, I don't have any Hameg scopes to compare.

Quite so however the OP has indicated his interest is in audio stuff for which a 20 MHz CRO will be adequate.  ;)

But tautech, what if OP wants to scope audio content reeeeaaally far outside the range of human hearing?  ;D

Hextejas, humans can hear from 20-20,000 Hz. Your Hameg can sense up to 20,000,000 Hz. So even though it is less than the Tek, it still easily covers audible signals.

To explain the earlier refence to units,
  • 1 MHz = 1,000,000 Hz
  • 1 mHz = 0.001 Hz
  • 1 MHz happens 1 million times per second
  • 1 mHz occurs once every 17 minutes
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 03:09:14 am by CarsonReidDavis »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 03:08:16 am »
But what is the audio equipment has a SMPS , then he'd might need to venture into the 40-80 KHz region for which a 20 MHz scope will still eat it.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline CarsonReidDavis

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 03:12:38 am »
But what is the audio equipment has a SMPS , then he'd might need to venture into the 40-80 KHz region for which a 20 MHz scope will still eat it.

Worst case, OP comes across some songs made for the moth Galleria mellonella, which can hear frequencies as high as 300KHz...in which case the Hameg will still be sufficient.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf