Author Topic: Wiliam Winter C1300 antenna rotator  (Read 2560 times)

Offline Mr SimpletonTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Not the sharpest knife in the drawer
Wiliam Winter C1300 antenna rotator
« on: May 28, 2015, 07:43:40 am »
We have two of these and both developed the same problem... end switches gone and rotator goes kaputt.

Anyone have schematics for this?? Ratings?? Now the controller is a really old mechanical/analog with presetting.

Not sure if it is worth the hussle to try to repair give that both the uints have the same issue, broken rotatro == mobile crane and lots of work :(
I realize that W Winter still is in business but the information is sparse to say the least :D Anyone have any hands-on?? Or is there better and more reliable solutions today?

BTW this is NOT for an ordinary tv antenna, rather LPDA for HF or similar :)

• Supporter
Re: Wiliam Winter C1300 antenna rotator
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 11:26:14 am »
Got a reply from Winter... and they still repair the rotator, if motor is OK!
Now I have to evaluate what the total cost would be to install a new rotator and fittings vs. have this old one fixed and use all the mechanical fittings ready made....

Pity they do not offer schematics... i.e. letting me do the repair job. Still I will take the unit apart to see what is going on.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 06:56:25 pm »
Microswitches inside probably got wet, and went low resistance across the contacts. Then the motor drove till a gear broke.

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 09:41:22 am »
Guess you're right about the switches and moisture!

Sigh... just got an e-mail from the company, as the rotator was produced in may 1970 they are unable to supply spare parts or do any repair!
What happend to the world??

Seriously I was positively surprised to see they still kept notes on when they produced the rotator and to whom they sold it to!

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 07:03:07 pm »
You can always take it down, open up and see which gear is broken, then have another one made as per sample by an engineering company ( or if you are lucky it will be a standard gear available off the shelf at an industrial parts supplier), then replace the switches and the upper seal, and when installing the new switches use a generous coating of light lithium high temperature grease ( not silicone based though, they will cause you grief) all around the switches and the terminals to keep them dry.

Phoned an industrial company this week, to ask them about some equipment we have. Spoke to the guy who made it, and he was able to tell me when it was made, 1975, and the specs I wanted. They still have the drawings for it, so if I have to get the spares that they fabricate I still can, at a price. Will still have to get it assembled on site by a coded welder....... The control gear though is all no longer as supplied, I went a long time ago to a soft start control ( expensive at 7.5 kW rating) and replaced all the star delta switching ( original idiot installed it to start in delta and switch to star, and it eventually dropped a phase on the one contactor and burnt out the original 130kg cast iron monster motor) to get a gentle starting so it did not want to pull the mountings out of the floor. Just have to replace a weeping gearbox seal this month, easy enough as it is 4 inches in diameter.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 07:07:30 pm by SeanB »

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 11:14:03 am »
Will see what comes out of this... its at the saltmine... and no fundings for a proper fix! So guess I have to bring the darn thing home and do the job here for free. Still should be fun see how they did realize this, a proper tear it down pic show. And  I could try repair my own 40 years old CDE rotator when I am up to speed :D This one has no gears left, but spares are available still...

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 11:24:27 am »
Funny enough just dropped off the remains of a rotator at the scrappie this morning.

Came back with some things for teardown, lift indicator panels........ No room for the 100kg lift controller as well, though I took the snubbers off the contactors in it. There is a massive VFD display inside the floor display, that I am curious about. Was involved in an interesting fight there, but was just onlooker and sort of keep the combatants apart, though I did take something if it was going to be needing more persuasion to stop. Nearly came home with a cat........

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf