Author Topic: Wire Cutter Repair  (Read 1367 times)

Online rfdesTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Wire Cutter Repair
« on: November 27, 2021, 04:01:41 pm »

I have (had) a beautiful, precision (aka expensive) set of wire cutters that were damaged by an unknowing user that were abused.  In other words the cutting edges were cobbled.  Is there a service where they could be repaired at a reasonable cost?  My guess is no, the cost would exceed the price of the cutters and not be worth it.  These cutters are priced in the $80 range, so maybe there is some hope.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Jim

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
Re: Wire Cutter Repair
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 05:35:56 pm »
You can get needle files from hobby stores, possibly hardware stores and (obviously) online. If you don't have a sharpening stone get some wet and dry sandpaper and use water or oil as a lubricant. You can wrap it around a flat needle file, a butter knife, sand small piece of wood flat or even use a small piece of pcb. Ladies emery-boards (for shaping their nails) work in a pinch as well. If you have a small benchtop vice it makes things like this even easier.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 05:51:31 pm by Shock »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline Audiorepair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 06:30:33 pm »
Don't ever lend your cutters to a guitarist.
They will cut guitar strings with it.

Leaving big holes in the blades that are impossible to put back.

Offline CaptDon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2021, 08:55:45 pm »
Don't lend your cutters to ham radio guys either. They like to 'trim' stainless steel whip antennas to proper length!!!! $80 wire cutters???? Never seen any in that price range.
And I thought my G.E. Forge (George Earnst) hoof nippers at $220 were expensive. Well,
at least they did offer several years of 'free maintenance' at that price!!!

Collector and repairer of vintage and not so vintage electronic gadgets and test equipment. What's the difference between a pizza and a musician? A pizza can feed a family of four!! Classically trained guitarist. Sound engineer.

Offline WattsThat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2021, 09:11:45 pm »
Bin ‘em. Yes, an expensive lesson. $80 sounds like Linstrom.

There is no restoring the material that is missing, now a hole that shouldn’t be there. You can grind them down to where the edges meet once again but they’ll never cleave as well as before. Duplicating the angle and straightness of the edge is the challenge.

Online rfdesTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2021, 09:19:05 pm »

Hi -
Thanks.  I may give it a try.  I purchased 2 pairs of these cutters at an estate sale at a great price and have been taking very good care of them up until recently.  i.e. Trust No One!

Take care -
Jim1333694-0

Offline Gregg

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2021, 09:32:35 pm »
Diamond honing sticks like these are thin, wide and flat enough to touch up flush cutters.
https://www.amazon.com/EZE-LAP-PAK5-Color-Coded-Diamond/dp/B002RL83DQ
Try to take the same amount off of each side.  Also be aware the edges do not meet exactly together or they will destroy each other.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf