Author Topic: XBOX 360 motherboard....I call bulldonkey!!!  (Read 3069 times)

Offline gooseEL34Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
XBOX 360 motherboard....I call bulldonkey!!!
« on: July 19, 2014, 08:34:44 pm »
Ok.  This thread relates to this video

What I am talking about starts around 19:20 into

Basically, the original XBox gaming systems had woefully underspec heat sinks.  There was some fail safety that stopped the unit from powering up if it had overheated and it would show red LEDs on the front panel (RED RING OF DOOM was its moniker)

Here's my question.  In this video, the guy uses a heat gun to "reset" the solder on the MB.  I think he calls it "heat treating" the MB.   

Is this BS? 

Offline ijchan223

• Contributor
Re: XBOX 360 motherboard....I call bulldonkey!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 08:45:20 pm »
I have used the same method before and it works for a short time for me it worked about 6 months or so between fixes. If you try it be careful and not to bump the GPU when it is hot if you do you will have to reball it all and it isn't worth the time and effort since the 360s are dirt cheap now a days .

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 10:03:49 pm »
I have not watched the video but heating up (and cooling down with freezer spray) is tome honored technique to detect thermal faults.
It does not fix the problem by reflowing the solder of course, but it does change things mechanically slightly which can temporarily fix or induce a fault.

Offline Tinkerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 10:15:34 pm »
You are wrong, it is not.

The original xbox 360 had piss poor heat management and the thing would heat up enough to cause problems. Making it heat up enough on purpose to reflow things is a legitimate method many people used to fix the problem temporarily. In many cases, alot of people simply wrapping it in a towel was enough to reflow.
One of the major issues I think was that people didnt(and still dont) know how to care for their stuff. They piled things on top of it and generally didnt make sure the heat was dissapated well, not to mention the amount of dust that builds up. I had my mine for like 5 years or more or something until it finally crapped out. This was well after the whole crisis began. I never put anything on top of it and and it was in a location that had plenty of room for air flow.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 04:20:57 am »
yes it works
in case of xbone its the lead free solder under the chip (unlike Nvidia GPUs that have problems inside the chip)
no it wont fix it permanently, reballing does (M$ even did it for a period of time)
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline FrankenPC

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 06:29:27 am »
I used a much better fix:  the clamp.  Screws and nuts to force the heatsink and BGA back on to the mainboard.  But yeah.  It's the same problem.  The BGA chip is lifting up and separating.  I've seen heat guns, the "towel" method (forced overheating).  Placing the mainboard in a oven.  All kinds of tricks.   
Chinglish poetry: In the hot summer. In the car ran full steam. It tastes strange. For this worry? With this fan will bring you a cool summer. Suitable for all kinds of cars. Agricultural vehicles. Van. Tricycle.

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 05:15:37 pm »
(Signature)
Chinglish poetry: In the hot summer. In the car ran full steam. It tastes strange. For this worry? With this fan will bring you a cool summer. Suitable for all kinds of cars. Agricultural vehicles. Van. Tricycle.
That's actually Konglish, not Chinglish. Original is here.

Another delightful extract:

Chuck fan that you need to suck the place. Can it can also below side, etc. Red switch on. The wind is not particularly big. Can't shake his head.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf