Author Topic: Yamaha DM1000 digital mixer, sourcing obsolete Molex connector....  (Read 833 times)

Offline IcchanTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I'm trying to refurbish/repair a Yamaha DM1000 mixer for my own use, but this one has taken some hit at some point which has broken one 16 position connector from the board and that needs to be replaced.

It's: Molex 52147-1610
So 16 position, single row, 2mm pitch "wire trap" connector for 2mm pitch ribbon cable.

It's totally obsolete and the 16 position version is completely out of stock from anywhere I'm trying to find them from.
I've even asked from my local Yamaha repair technicians some help if they can find a broken board from any Yamaha mixer that I could scavenge one off from... but no. (Yamaha has used these connectors in MANY of their digital mixers released before ~2012)

If anyone has any good ideas where to find them or suggestions for "drop in" replacements (I'm not against completely replacing the connectors from both ends and even the cable between, as long as the connector fits the board) , I'm all ears.

The last resort would be to replace it with standard 1.27mm pitch IDC and use custom adapter PCB's that I'll draw and order... but it's such a hassle.

thank you for all the help you can give me :)

Offline Audiorepair

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Yamaha DM1000 digital mixer, sourcing obsolete Molex connector....
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2022, 07:42:49 pm »
So why not just hard wire in a 16 way ribbon cable if it is just for your own  use?

Are you intending to disconnect and reconnect this regularly?

Offline BigBoss

• Regular Contributor

The following users thanked this post: Icchan

Offline IcchanTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2022, 04:13:43 am »
So why not just hard wire in a 16 way ribbon cable if it is just for your own  use?

Are you intending to disconnect and reconnect this regularly?

If you need to service it, you need to disconnect this cable to get the front panel open, so it shouldn't be hard wired. And desks like these get serviced quite regularly for all kinds of small or bigger issues.
Mainly because the motorized faders need to be replaced etc. :)

I think this connector pairs may be equivalent for your original one.
https://www.toby.co.uk/cable-wire-to-board/200mm-crimp-and-poke/ph200-valcon-2mm-pitch-single-row-wire-to-board-crimp-housing/PH200-16H/
https://www.toby.co.uk/search/?keywords=PH200+PCB

Thank you! I've tried for hours to find something that would fit, but just couldn't... (Even digikey's parametric search has been nerfed in some way and you just can't parametrically search from ALL the products, you need to select the category first and that takes time)

If all else fails, I'll do this. Thanks!

Offline mslr

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2022, 07:32:25 am »
Why not ordering it directly from Yamaha? Normally the service manual can be found online and include the Yamaha ordering number to order it from a local service dealer. Did that several times with success. Yamaha also is very responsive if you kindly ask online. Since this is still an available mixer you should get support.
You can also harvest a connector from the much more common 01V96. This mixer 'shares' most of the hardware of the DM1000 and is cheaply available in non working state.

Offline CaptDon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2022, 08:54:27 pm »
"Cheaply available in non-working condition" reminds me of why I don't buy Yamaha Pro-Sound gear! The old FB-01 was a workhorse and the DD-55 digital drums sounded good during their time period. Most of their consumer oriented stuff is o.k., but the pro sound amps and things, well, I could find better, cheaper, lighter etc. without looking to hard. In the U.S. so many interconnectors were .1" centers and easy to source. The offshore stuff with millimeter connectors poses a bit of a problem. Like the goofy connector Xilinx uses on their platform programmers that seem to fail quickly.

Collector and repairer of vintage and not so vintage electronic gadgets and test equipment. What's the difference between a pizza and a musician? A pizza can feed a family of four!! Classically trained guitarist. Sound engineer.

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2022, 10:13:23 pm »
Mainly because the motorized faders need to be replaced
I found taking your gloves off also cures the motorised faders from not working

The DM1000 and is cheaply available in non working state
And is even cheaper when you buy a broken one for the meter bridge and find its got a 16 channel AES card still plugged in
but the pro sound amps and things, well, I could find better, cheaper, lighter etc. without looking to hard
At the one time yamaha were the leaders in digital desks,the pm5,  M7 and LS9 for example  was the start of the end for analogue desks,at the time there was nothing on the market that could compete at the price.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 10:20:21 pm by themadhippy »

Offline mslr

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2022, 08:34:31 am »
"Cheaply available in non-working condition" reminds me of why I don't buy Yamaha Pro-Sound gear! The old FB-01 was a workhorse and the DD-55 digital drums sounded good during their time period. Most of their consumer oriented stuff is o.k., but the pro sound amps and things, well, I could find better, cheaper, lighter etc. without looking to hard. In the U.S. so many interconnectors were .1" centers and easy to source. The offshore stuff with millimeter connectors poses a bit of a problem. Like the goofy connector Xilinx uses on their platform programmers that seem to fail quickly.

Well, I was not able to hear any difference in sound regarding gear using metric or angloamerican connectors.  ;)

Yamaha non-working condition is >80% faders mechanically worn out, because of age not worth to replace. 15% is water (or beer) inside a mixer causing some trouble. 5% others. Very reliable stuff according my personal experience. You will find for sure always better, cheaper, lighter gear - every year an other brand.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf