Author Topic: Yongnuo YN600EX-RT Repair  (Read 1593 times)

Offline MitiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Yongnuo YN600EX-RT Repair
« on: August 24, 2019, 10:41:47 pm »
I have a Yongnuo YN600EX-RT that I bought few years ago for my Canon T5i. As I am just a weekend photographer, or rather holidays photographer, it was very rarely used. In the last few weeks I tried to use it for some events and, even though it apparently worked, I observed that the zoom was staying on M (manual) no matter what settings I tried. I remember that when I bought it, it used to follow and display the zoom of the lens. After I banged my head to the wall trying to find the setting that I was missing, I realised it was defective. Another symptom actually made me think that. The stepper motor that drives the zoom mechanism was hitting the end of travel not detecting the limit switch, every time I would power it on.

Looking for some videos on YouTube, mainly to see how to open it, I found the following video. I was tempted to follow this procedure.

But then I was out of peanut butter and I tried a different approach.
Some guys found a cable that goes from the head to the electronics below, unplugged from the bottom connector. Too late, I opened the head anyway. Nothing seemed to be wrong there, the limit switch seemed to work well, and so does the switch that detects when the reflector is inserted.
I've opened the bottom side, the brain of the flash and I tried to re-seat the connector that is linked to overheat error. Then I gave it a try and on top of my initial defect, the overheat error showed up so I was sure the problem is around that connector.
Sure it was, crack line opens on four of the pins and the mechanical pin.
I re-soldered that connector and it is alive again, as good as new.

I've attached some pictures, they may help someone.
I was too anxious to see if it works and I forgot to take pictures when I opened it and put it back together, but it is not big deal. Few screws and you're in.

Fear does not stop death, it stops life.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf