Author Topic: Zoom HD16 Hard Disk Randomly Parking  (Read 462 times)

Offline paul_g_787Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Zoom HD16 Hard Disk Randomly Parking
« on: April 23, 2021, 05:03:02 pm »
I have a Zoom HD16 here which has an issue where the hard disk randomly stops, causing the software to lock up. If there is anything playing back either from the hard disk or CD it starts looping like a scratched record.

When it happens there is a click from the hard disk then the HDD access LED goes out at the same time. The only way to recover from this state is to power down the unit and reboot.

It can take anywhere from 5 seconds to a few hours for the issue to happen. Once it happens it usually happens more frequently for some time but not always.

Things I have tried:

• I have tried recovering the software on the hard disk - basically a complete format with the CD ROM. This fixes the issue for a while then it plays up again.
  • I have replaced the hard disk with a brand new old stock 80GB PATA (IDE) disk which I tested on the PC before hand. The issue still happens.
  • I have also completely replaced the CD ROM drive for another identical model, this has not resolved it either.
  • The HDD is set to master on it's jumpers and the CD ROM set to slave (same as factory drives).
  • The unit has clearly never been opened from factory when I took it apart to fit the hard disk.
  • I cannot see any damage to any of the cables in the unit.
  • I can see no bulging capacitors anywhere including power supply.
  • Using a different mains lead did not help either

I am completely at a loss for what to try next. I was very sure the hard disk was just worn out, but of course that doesn't seem to be the case.
I have tested the original hard disk on my PC and I am pretty sure it is OK as no errors came up during the test.

Can anyone suggest what to try next? I am stumped.

Thank you.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf