Author Topic: 12v Motorised valve from China with supercap  (Read 806 times)

Offline DankoozyTopic starter

• Contributor
12v Motorised valve from China with supercap
« on: August 01, 2022, 05:30:09 pm »
I bought a few motorised valves from China so i could make my own heating controls and run them off 12v. These are much cheaper than the 230v mains motorised valves that are common here in Ireland and usually have a spring return on them and continously waste about 6w of power running the motor stalled just to counteract the spring.

But anyway I hooked it up to my power supply to see if they were any good and could not hear any obvious spring return mechanism. So I decided to have a peek beneath the cover as you do and saw they put in a little 5v/1F supercap and some power conversion circuit that has just enough juice to close the valve again once you remove the power supply. Kinda neat

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
Re: 12v Motorised valve from China with supercap
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 06:02:15 pm »
They look a bit fragile compared to standard mains ones, what's the temperature spec?

Agreed, storing enough energy to close again is a neat idea (assuming that they still make it as the valve ages and stiffens). The spring and motor arrangement on the mains ones is wasteful in modern context.
Best Regards, Chris

"Victor Meldrew, the Crimson Avenger!"

Offline DankoozyTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 09:33:52 pm »
They look a bit fragile compared to standard mains ones, what's the temperature spec?

Agreed, storing enough energy to close again is a neat idea (assuming that they still make it as the valve ages and stiffens). The spring and motor arrangement on the mains ones is wasteful in modern context.

80 degree or 100 depending on which eBay listing you look at :-DD

I suppose one could stretch the life of it by embiggening the supercap if it became a problem

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 05:43:11 pm »
Ah, the old seller 'how far can we plausibly push it' specmanship battle on the same product.  :D

There should be a temperature drop between the water passing through the valves and the electronics (as long as you keep them well ventilated). It's probably worth checking the temperature specs on the electrolytics and supercap, though I suspect that they will be ordinary 70'C.

If it comes to it, failure to fully close is probably a much better than failure to open!
Best Regards, Chris

"Victor Meldrew, the Crimson Avenger!"

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf