Author Topic: "Up-cycling?" or modifying a PACE "ThermoTweez" soldering tweezer  (Read 1277 times)

Offline THDplusN_badTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Good Day,

I have found some soldering tools manufactured by PACE in my stock, and have decided to modify these tools for my current needs. I believe "up-cycling" is the new buzz word for this. We used to call it "Basteln" in German, or "tinkering"...

I know that the PACE brand has an excellent reputation in the US, but they are not well known or represented in Europe. They have some significant offerings for MIL/AERO markets, certification and training programs etc. and have propably even invented complete re-work stations for PCBs as a novel product category - but all their activity seems very US-centric.

Only a few Sales Reps & Distributors can be found in Europe and spare parts as well as used equipment offerings on ePay are rare. A price sticker shock experience is almost always guranteed ...

* Found a tweezer named "ThermoTweez" and a PACE PPS-17E sodlering station.
* Found three older soldering tips for another soldering tweezer with "Thermo-Pik", which is even more advanced and employs a vacuum-supported pick-up mechanic.
These tips are for removing semiconductors in TQFP-52 packages. I doubt I will ever have to remove such parts, and if so, I have a 3rd one as a spare.
I have modified two of these to form one pair of usable tips. The attached photo shows the simple idea.

Here is what I have done:

* Used a hand saw with a fresh metal blade and a vice with plastic/soft jaws to remove 3 out of 4 side parts of each tip
* Used a file to remove leftover material and for de-burring.
* The base material of these tips is copper, which oxidizes very quickly at high temperatures. So, I added some standard solder to protect the exposed areas of the modified tip.
* Used a pair of quality tweezers made by KNIPEX to gently adjust the angle of the remaining side so that both tips have a usable shape
* Tested the new tweezer on an older evaluation board, and adjusted both tips again.
* Lastly, I have made a simple holder out of "Plexiglas" or "Perspex/Lucite" for the new tweezer. PACE was smart and included some rails in the design of the aluminum housing for their soldering stations. I have used some standard metric M3 hardware for mounting, which fits well although the rails were clearly designed for ANSI hardware. Sorry, no STEP or CAD files available for you 3D-printer addicts  >:D, just standard tinkering using a ruler, marker, saw, file and drill. And my hot air gun, vice and a steel ruler for forming and bending of the piece of plexiglass..
The side notch which holds the tweezer in place has shown a crack, but is still sturdy. It took me only 25 min. to make this, so I can easily make a 2nd one if needed.

* I have trained the use of the new tweezer and have removed some size 1206 and other SMD-components, see the attached pictures.
I was not careful enough with the 1st SOIC package, but the 2nd one came off nicely and after some adjustment and practicing, I am very satisfied with the results.

I trust this may inspire others ...

Cheers,

THD+N_bad

Offline THDplusN_badTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: "Up-cycling?" or modifying a PACE "ThermoTweez" soldering tweezer
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 07:56:26 pm »
A few more pictures...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf