Author Topic: A cheaper, faster and highly accurate temperature probe (NOW a recommendation!!!  (Read 2173 times)

Offline watchmakerTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self Study in EE
    • Precision Timepiece Restoration and Service
Thanks to Tooki's persistence,I checked the thermometer against the temp needed to produce royal blue in o1 steel.

I can offically upgrade this post to a recommendation.

This themometer gets to the 500 degrees in about 30 seconds.  The probe is perfect for reaching components.

2023907-0
« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 01:37:02 pm by watchmaker »
Regards,

Dewey

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
Re: A cheaper, faster and highly accurate temperature probe
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2024, 10:19:19 pm »
Did you, uh, forget to write your post?

Online Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2024, 01:21:03 am »
  LOL! 

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self Study in EE
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2024, 05:29:51 am »
Oops.  Must of screwed up when I redid the photo.  It is my wife's food thermometer.  Did not cost me a dime and it works pretty well.
Regards,

Dewey

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2024, 01:38:02 pm »
Oops.  Must of screwed up when I redid the photo.  It is my wife's food thermometer.  Did not cost me a dime and it works pretty well.
Ok, aaaaand…?

Is it a product recommendation? What are your accuracy requirements? (“Highly accurate” means very different things to different people and applications.)

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self Study in EE
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2024, 03:03:10 am »
Well, it checks out at ice and at boiling water, and agrees with my solder stations. And it is cheap. It is a suggestion.

Regards,

Dewey

Offline Kim Christensen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2024, 04:12:48 am »

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self Study in EE
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2024, 12:13:55 pm »
Cheap to me! My wife paid for it and I got it from her kitchen!  I think she got it for under $70 USD but it did not come out of MY toy budget.

At boil and ice it is more accurate than the k thermocouple on my Agilent U 1252 and if you do not have a meter it is well worth looking in the kitchen.

For watchmakers I have long prescribed a hot plate with an oven thermometer rather than the traditional alcohol lamp and tripod for tempering steel.  Far more repeatable and once you find your adjustment points you can leave it all day and the temper will be correct.  This was after I played with a dental oven for a couple years (cool but overkill, even for A2).  I do not like flames in the shop (no propane or acety/ox torches) or Tix solder wits highy corrosive acid flux that escapes the bottle cap and destroys all the steel within the cabinet.

If you look at my website, you will see I have tried many things over the years and describe the advantages and disadvantages so that others do not have to make the same choices blindly.  I even have a collection of useless tools made by Bergeon that I used in talks and demonstrations  (Like the now $700 USD heating plate for the very important escapement adjusting tool which should be replaced by the $39 USD Thermodyne hot plate used in the shop for tempering and keeping coffee warm)..
Regards,

Dewey

Offline Svgeesus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2024, 02:51:17 am »
Their website says ±0.5°F (±0.3°C) from -4 to 248°F (-20 to 120°C) otherwise ±1.8°F (±1.0°C)
https://www.thermoworks.com/thermapen-one/

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2024, 08:01:21 am »
Cheap to me! My wife paid for it and I got it from her kitchen!  I think she got it for under $70 USD but it did not come out of MY toy budget.

At boil and ice it is more accurate than the k thermocouple on my Agilent U 1252 and if you do not have a meter it is well worth looking in the kitchen.
Well the U1252 isn’t the best thermometer out there (I have two U1252B’s, and they don’t even agree on the temperature…), and thermocouples are not the most accurate thermometers out there.

What does impress me is using the Keithley DMM6500 at work with a 4-wire PT100. You can easily see it measure the warmth of your body heating the air as you approach. (We’re talking 0.0001C resolution here, though of course at that point you need longer measurement times just to overcome electrical noise.) PT100 sensors are far more repeatable than thermocouples, especially without calibration.

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self Study in EE
See post No. 1.  THANKS Tooki!
Regards,

Dewey

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
I think you should try out some PT100 thermometers and probes. You might be surprised at how much better they can be. (They’re still very affordable.)

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self Study in EE
As long as my wife isn't looking, I have access to a very serviceable temp probe so I have no need to look further.  Just sorry I wasted $ on the K cable and adapter. Hopefully, others won't have to.
Regards,

Dewey

Offline Kim Christensen

• Super Contributor
Just make sure you wash it really well before returning it to the kitchen drawer...  :scared:

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
A Thermapen ONE lives in my kitchen drawer and comes highly recommended from me. It is perfect if you want to get an instant readout of internal food temperatures.

I have also found it very useful to check the accuracy of thermocouple probes.

It apparently has an operating range of -58.0 to 572.0°F, or -49.9 to 299.9°C (although that seems to be more of a display limitation than a probe limitation).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 11:37:52 pm by IanB »

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
By the way, it is dangerous to look at the ThermoWorks web site. You could easily find your wallet becoming a lot lighter  ;D

Offline Svgeesus

• Regular Contributor
I bought one. It comes with a two-point (0C 100C) calibration certificate, which has the model number (but not serial number or cal date) of the reference instrument used.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf