Author Topic: Affordable crimp tools for small connectors (Dupont, etc.)  (Read 45187 times)

Offline Okto47

• Contributor
Re: Affordable crimp tools for small connectors (Dupont, etc.)
« Reply #150 on: March 03, 2024, 01:54:11 pm »
Not inserted horizontal or does the plier twist  it ?
Without that twist it wouldn’t look bad (of course the isolation crimp is no O)

I always readjust after closing halfway / before wire goes in , but at some even that won’t help .

Offline shabaz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #151 on: March 03, 2024, 02:13:09 pm »
Looks like the side tabs are causing it to twist. I dont have a complete answer, but as a workaround, I only use sockets (not pins), I.e. type 2226TG are excellent and cheap and have no tabs sticking out. When pins are needed, I'll often stick a pin from a pin header inside the socket. Not ideal, but means I only keep a bag of the 2226TG sockets around. I keep plenty of pin headers and can pull a pin out of if required. Hope that helps!

Offline maralb

• Contributor
« Reply #152 on: March 03, 2024, 02:31:34 pm »
I don't think it is much twisted. It looks like it due to the angle of photography.

Another picture of the same crimp.

The following users thanked this post: shabaz

Offline Okto47

• Contributor
« Reply #153 on: March 03, 2024, 04:04:34 pm »
Yeah , at first picture I thought it were twisted and off-centre , but was just  viewing angle / resolution / open barrel .

Thought it’s not only against loose strands or to use whole cable cross section  , thought it’s better  if the legs are closed by profile design , so that they can support each other - become more stable - can’t give back as locked into each other - stay gas tight after crimp.

But not easy without original jaws, I know.
Thought the AMP you ordered will fit better at that point.
Had a look at it too , but found at moment only offers with high shipping costs & tax to EU and already have that much jaws.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 04:36:23 pm by Okto47 »

Offline maralb

• Contributor
« Reply #154 on: March 16, 2024, 02:20:17 pm »
I received my AMP 90202-2 crimp tool from EBay today.

This is the very first Dupont crimp I made with it. Although I inserted the wire slightly too far the crimping quality is not bad at all. I would like to say it is great. The AMP crimp tool is rather big and heavy which makes  the handling a bit clumsey.

The tabs grabbing the wire insulation are how you want them too see. Happy with it and thank you shabaz for the tip regarding the AMP90202 tool. It is a good option for Dupont terminals.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 02:22:03 pm by maralb »

The following users thanked this post: shabaz, edavid, tooki, Nominal Animal

Offline shabaz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #155 on: March 16, 2024, 02:50:43 pm »
Thanks for the photo, great to see the result! You're right, it's a large tool, I find it easier to hold by one handle, and just push the other end against chest, so that one hand is free to support the wire.

The insulation is usually separated by a thin metal barrier (i.e. when using the tool, without the wire, click it once or twice to just get the crimp held, and then insert the wire, because a metal barrier (with a narrow slot) will have dropped into position after the first click.

Then, the insulation can't get into the conductor-crimping portion of the tool, because the slot only allows the stripped portion to pass through.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, mwb1100, maralb

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf