Author Topic: Affordable crimp tools for small connectors (Dupont, etc.)  (Read 44604 times)

Offline tookiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Affordable crimp tools for small connectors (Dupont, etc.)
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2020, 04:44:58 am »
Umm, 16AWG? That’s far afield of the kinds of contacts this thread is about. (I have an SN-48B, too, as well as various other crimpers for larger terminals. But this thread is about the smaller kinds.)

And if you’ve read this thread so far, you’ve hopefully understood that terminal compatibility goes far beyond just matching wire size.

Offline SparkyFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2020, 09:14:50 am »
*sigh* What a can of worms this is  |O

I have to supress the urge to buy another set  ;D
Haha... welcome to the world of "Affordable Crimping tools", i got the set with a "Preciva 1550" in the title and "Preciva 3254" in the picture. It does crimp DuPont contacts according to my expectations (wire sustains some pulling force, contact insert goes effortlessly into the cavity, contact is not bent).

I think some of the offered combinations of tool and contact are the result of algorithms that see buyers buying the same combination and then suggesting to bundle it - maybe never regarding returns/complaints.
Support your local planet.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2020, 10:47:26 am »
FYI, the “1550” in the title is not a model number, but rather part of the phrase “1550 pcs”. They’re saying that the set contains 1550 pieces. ;)

Thanks for the report. Makes me hopeful that the one I ordered will also work well.

The following users thanked this post: SparkyFX

Offline Per Hansson

• Supporter
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2020, 02:52:21 pm »
I’m still waiting on the new Chinese crimper. Coronavirus has slowed the already-slow cheap shipping.
Thank you for creating yet another post on this matter (no, I am not being ironic!)
I had already read most of the posts you link in your OP and placed an order with IWISS on the 12:th of May.
I am in the same boat as you: waiting for them to arrive, maybe this year! :D

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2020, 04:50:03 am »
Well, a miracle happened, and the TZ-4228B arrived yesterday!

Overall, it makes a decent impression. The DuPont jaw is 7mm thick (same as on SN-28B), the other three jaws are 4.5mm thick, in both cases evenly split between wire and insulation dies. The DuPont jaw works, neither mangling nor under-crimping any of the contacts I have. The smaller female contacts end up with the insulation crimp ever so slightly too wide, such that inserting into a housing has a little bit of friction, but it does work. I’ll have to try it with some thinner wire. The gold plated ones, which are a millimeter longer and clearly designed for thicker wire, work beautifully with the 24ga (0.22m2) wire I was testing with. (However, if it were me, I’d have made the wire die only the 2.25mm thick like the other three. I don’t know why they kept it 3.5mm thick, since no DuPont contacts need such a thick wire jaw, and a thinner one would make positioning the cheap smaller female contacts a bit quicker.)

Jaw #2 (going by the numbering on the image in the original post) works perfectly for both variants of Molex KK clones that I have.

I found some JST PH (2.0mm pitch) connectors at work yesterday. Jaw #1 is supposed to be for those. I’ll try it out and get back to you.

In summary: the AMP Ampmodu Mod IV crimper ultimately produces slightly nicer looking crimps, and is definitely superior for very thin wire (since it has jaws specifically for them), and it’s definitely easier to use thanks to the insulation stop it has. But it’s definitely not as flexible on contact compatibility. The insulation stop consumes space that the cheap smaller female DuPont contacts do not have to spare, making it difficult to not crush those without careful positioning. The TZ-4228B does a good job on every small contact I threw at it. Will it meet coppercone2’s standards (or, indeed, military or aerospace standards)? No. But I think we may have a winner for hobby use. At the price, I don’t think it can be beat.

I still have to try it with some D-sub contacts, too.

I’ll also mention that I was able to adjust the dies on the TZ-4228B slightly, so that the anvils align ever so slightly better than how they shipped, and this improved the crimps a tiny bit.

The following users thanked this post: eliocor, thm_w, Per Hansson, Ranayna

Offline daveismissing

• Contributor
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2020, 10:20:45 pm »
Surfing around I have come to the conclusion that Pressmaster are/were likely the original OEM for Molex's tools and likely some Xcelite crimpers that I favour
https://www.pressmaster.se/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/DRB-0805-HD_980.png
https://www.pressmaster.se/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/DRB0505L_00012.png

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2020, 10:50:50 pm »
Surfing around I have come to the conclusion that Pressmaster are/were likely the original OEM for Molex's tools and likely some Xcelite crimpers that I favour
https://www.pressmaster.se/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/DRB-0805-HD_980.png
https://www.pressmaster.se/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/DRB0505L_00012.png

Yep, that's well-known. But not terribly relevant here, as they violate the "affordable" constraint of this discussion. ;)

(WEZAG and Sargent are other big ODM crimper manufacturers.)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 11:16:26 pm by tooki »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2020, 11:51:32 pm »
Oh yeah, I also promised updates on the TZ-4228B.

I can happily report that it works great on JST PH (2.0mm), JST SM (the 2.5mm wire-to-wire connectors with flat pins that are commonly used on LED strips), and JST VH (3.96mm).

It does not work particularly well for Molex KK 3.96mm, as those contacts have diagonal/offset insulation crimps (just like Dupont) that demand a round insulation die. The small 2.54mm Molex KK discussed in prior posts have symmetrical insulation crimps that work perfectly in this tool.

So the upshot is that so far, the TZ-4228B is proving to be very versatile. The crimps aren't quite as good as OEM tools would create, but they are still good, and at 1/20th the cost, this is a totally acceptable compromise for hobby use.

I'll also add the observation that the sweet spot for wire size seems to be around 24-22AWG (~0.2mm2-0.35mm2) for the majority of the contacts. This tool's dies simply aren't designed for super thin or super thick wires. Going just from memory, I would suggest that the 4 jaws work best for:
1 (JST PH, XH): 26-24AWG (0.12-0.2mm2)
2 (JST XH, SM; Molex KK254): 24-20AWG (0.2-0.5mm2)
3 (JST VH): 24-18AWG (0.2-0.75mm2)
4 (Dupont): 24-20AWG (0.2-0.5mm2)

In any case the contact needs to be sized to the wire. All the real manufacturers have different size contacts for different wire sizes, but the Ali/eBay vendors often mix and match, and don't tell you which you're getting. For the most part, it seems that the female Dupont contacts are the ones for thin wire, while the male ones (and gold-plated female ones) are the contacts for thicker wire, which I prefer.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 01:26:32 pm by tooki »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, edavid, Jacon

Offline Electabuzz

« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2020, 06:43:16 am »
I'm sorry, this may be a little off-topic. But as soon as I saw the 3220M.. I just HAD to ;D

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2020, 01:24:41 pm »
I'm sorry, this may be a little off-topic. But as soon as I saw the 3220M.. I just HAD to ;D
I am glad you did! LMAO!!!

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2020, 01:56:42 pm »
It does not work particularly well for Molex KK 3.96mm, as those contacts have diagonal/offset insulation crimps (just like Dupont) that demand a round insulation die.

Not all of them - the 2578 and 45570 series contacts have an F insulation crimp. Far as I know they're drop-in, but Molex ask me to put effort into finding actual documentation.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2020, 10:54:48 pm »
It does not work particularly well for Molex KK 3.96mm, as those contacts have diagonal/offset insulation crimps (just like Dupont) that demand a round insulation die.

Not all of them - the 2578 and 45570 series contacts have an F insulation crimp. Far as I know they're drop-in, but Molex ask me to put effort into finding actual documentation.

That's a very diplomatic understatement!

Anyhow, very interesting! Poking around the product pages also led me to the 7258 series contacts, which seem to be unlisted in the KK parametric search, but exist linked from some of the housings and are still listed as active. (They're another Trifurcon variant.) They, too, have an F insulation crimp. Another such active "ghost" series is 2477, described as "humpback". (It's got the circular insulation crimp).

As for compatibility, as best I can tell, "normal" KK396 housings (series 2139, 3069, 41695) can accept any KK396 contact, including standard (series 2477, 2478, 2578, 8818), Trifurcon (series 6838 and 7258) and MarKK (series 45570), but the Trifurcon-only housings (series 6442) require Trifurcon or MarKK contacts.

I also found references to some obsolete or not-for-new-business series within the KK396 line:
2574 housing with flanges for screw mounting
2878 bifurcated crimp terminals (with F crimp)
1799 right angle terminals
1796 single-sided card-edge housings
1797 bifurcated crimp terminals for 1796
41696 housings (no info)
52213 housings (no info)
52266 housings (no info)
4366 "Dualcon" crimp terminals for 4338
4338 dual-sided card-edge housings
4573 cantilever terminals for 4338

Sources:
https://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/ps/PS-08-50-001.pdf
https://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/ats/ATS-011030003.pdf
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 10:57:17 pm by tooki »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2020, 11:14:47 pm »
Lol, to make the confusion complete:

https://www.amazon.de/Crimpzange-Crimping-Steckverbinder-Stiftleiste-3-1-5mm%C2%B2/dp/B07VGF34KX/ref=psdc_2076971031_t2_B07QX51F3B

This set claims to contain a SN-28B, but that crimper looks like that SN-4228B that tooki linked.

*sigh* What a can of worms this is  |O

I have to supress the urge to buy another set  ;D
But i have enough JSTs for now, and no real need for Duponts at the moment...
On closer inspection, that die looks really interesting, in that it's thinner on every jaw. That'd potentially make it superior to the SN-4228B.

I bet they bought SN-28Bs and swapped out the die sets on them in the factory or something.

It'd be interesting for someone (*cough* *wink*) to buy and test that model. It won't ship to CH, so I can't.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 11:17:54 pm by tooki »

Offline Electric Elf

• Flickr
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2020, 05:44:23 pm »
After reading (almost) all threads on the forum regarding DuPont crimping tools, watching (almost) all videos on Youtube on the topic (e.g. Andreas Spiess) and mostly following tooki's search, I stumbled upon an IWISS crimping tool advertised as DuPont compatible. It is the SN-025. You can find it on their Aliexpress store, but not on the official page.  :-// The price is $29.99.

On the store page there are pictures of the die and it looks like the correct one - part m, part ∩.

(click on the pictures below to see them in full, the links are on imgur)

Anyone else seen/tested these?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2020, 06:29:02 pm »
I came across that recently, too. (I've been meaning to add more discoveries to this thread, just haven't gotten around to it.)

It looks promising, but… must not order yet another crimp tool! must not order yet another crimp tool! must not order yet another crimp tool!* 🤣 I'm certainly willing to accept donations and then post the results! For science, ya know?  ;D

I am considering it, though, since the largest die opening would work for much larger offset-insulation-crimp connectors like the Molex KK 3.96mm pitch. But even on connectors that work with m-style insulation crimps, I've been finding that doing a circular insulation crimp on them often works better. (I've been using the AMPMODU Mod IV crimper to do Molex KK 2.54mm clones (KF2510, Reichelt PSK, etc) with great success.)

*I'll probably end up ordering yet another crimp tool...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 06:31:33 pm by tooki »

Offline bsodmike

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2020, 08:59:14 am »
Quick suggestion, this works for me. For crimping Dupont connectors, I bought this off Farnell a while back: Multicomp PRO HT-225D
https://export.farnell.com/multicomp/ht-225d/crimp-tool-ratchet-30-18awg/dp/1624832?ost=1624832

It's not hugely expensive either.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2020, 07:06:10 pm »
Quick suggestion, this works for me. For crimping Dupont connectors, I bought this off Farnell a while back: Multicomp PRO HT-225D
https://export.farnell.com/multicomp/ht-225d/crimp-tool-ratchet-30-18awg/dp/1624832?ost=1624832

It's not hugely expensive either.
Definitely not. HT-225D crimpers have the m-shape insulation crimp, which is categorically incorrect for DuPont pins, as explained earlier in this thread: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/affordable-crimp-tools-for-small-connectors-(dupont-etc-)/msg3078873/#msg3078873

If theirs actually has the round insulation crimp, then that would make it a very interesting option.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 07:11:02 pm by tooki »

The following users thanked this post: bsodmike, maelh

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2020, 08:50:03 pm »
Here's a review... is this one of the posters here?

http://tech.mattmillman.com/iwiss-sn-025-another-head-scratching-dupont-crimp-tool-lands/

I was not able to find the bare die, nor even the entire tool with die on either taobao/tmall or 1688 iwiss stores.

( https://iwisstools.1688.com and https://iwiss.tmall.com - well I think they are, or at least could be, "official" stores )

« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 08:52:54 pm by sleemanj »
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2020, 10:07:13 pm »
Interesting thread thanks, may give the aliexpress TZ-4228B a go given the affordable price.

I did come across the following on Amazon which made me laugh (I think they might have been better off without the example crimp...):

Offline bsodmike

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2020, 11:15:36 am »
Thanks, I stand corrected!

Offline bsodmike

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2020, 11:24:48 am »
Hey Tooki, Mate, which tool should I get off AliExpress to work with "Mini-PV (the real "DuPont" connector)"??

Even the IWISS SN-48B does the "M" type crimp 🤔

Thanks!

Offline bsodmike

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2020, 11:26:37 am »

I found this though "IWISS SN-025 F Crimp Dupont Terminal Crimp Tool AWG 28-18(0.1-1mm²) for Harwin Amphenol MINI-PV Connectors Molex KK 396 Micro Timer Connectors"
https://amzn.to/347OmLM

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 11:28:10 am by bsodmike »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2020, 03:28:42 pm »
Hey Tooki, Mate, which tool should I get off AliExpress to work with "Mini-PV (the real "DuPont" connector)"??
Of the cheap tools so far, the SN-4228B, as I explained in multiple posts above.

Of course it does, why wouldn’t it? It’s not a DuPont crimper and is rarely sold as one. (Unlike the SN-28B, which also is not a DuPont crimper, but is most commonly sold as one.)

I found this though "IWISS SN-025 F Crimp Dupont Terminal Crimp Tool AWG 28-18(0.1-1mm²) for Harwin Amphenol MINI-PV Connectors Molex KK 396 Micro Timer Connectors"
https://amzn.to/347OmLM
Just a few replies higher is a link to a review of it.

Please, go back and carefully re-read this thread. It contains all the info you’ve asked for.

The following users thanked this post: bsodmike

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2020, 03:34:55 pm »
Interesting thread thanks, may give the aliexpress TZ-4228B a go given the affordable price.
We ordered a few of them at work, as they’ve proven to work pretty well for not only DuPont (which we don’t use toooooo much), but also for Molex KK 254, JST XH, and JST VH, which are all things we are using on a project.

The SN-25B looks interesting, in that its larger round jaws would work for the Molex KK 396 that need the round insulation crimp, but may also work for the JST VH. (All else held equal, I prefer the round insulation crimps.)

I also bought myself an IWS-3220, and it’s OK. The biggest die is not super precise. But it does seem to do small things like XH and PH well. But damn is it easy to pinch your fingers with it!

I need to do a detailed update on the AMPMODU crimper, too.

Offline Per Hansson

• Supporter
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2020, 07:06:32 pm »
I’m still waiting on the new Chinese crimper. Coronavirus has slowed the already-slow cheap shipping.
Thank you for creating yet another post on this matter (no, I am not being ironic!)
I had already read most of the posts you link in your OP and placed an order with IWISS on the 12:th of May.
I am in the same boat as you: waiting for them to arrive, maybe this year! :D
Due to the unique way the Swedish postal service Postnord operates I never did get my crimpers.
So I gave up and ordered them again, Iwiss was even nice enough to upgrade me to TNT free of charge so this time I got them!
Now my intention was never to buy these for crimping KK254, however I had the Molex 08-50-0032 crimps on my table and a few fans needing crimps so I tried it out.
The tool I bought is the Iwiss SN-2549, its die is too wide for KK254 crimps, so if you position it "normally" then it gets mangled.
However if you position it as I show in the later two photos it creates a pretty good crimp I must say!
I also bought a SN-58B but it is so long ago that I don't even remember why anymore :D

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf