Author Topic: Arduino Supplies  (Read 2656 times)

Offline ChrisGreece52Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics Engineer - Hacker - Nerd
Arduino Supplies
« on: February 24, 2013, 12:12:40 am »
Hello
I am having much fun with my arduino but i would like to go deeper into its capabilities i have only scratched the top of it.
So what shall i need for that .
I want you to suggest me some good shields and components to combine with the arduino.
I am thinking of getting and Ir receiver so i can use a remote
An LCD so i can display text and info
An Ultrasonic distance detector.
A servo and a stepper motor.
A motor shield
An ethernet shield
I already have a speaker.
laser diodes.
and my photoresistors are on the way.

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
Re: Arduino Supplies
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 01:52:46 am »
I'm not a fan of shields - unless you are more of a software guy and don't want to learn the hardware.  Is so - there are plenty of shields out there - just pick what seems interesting to you.

I'd recommend getting  breadboard, power supply, and jumper wires.  The go find 2-3 tutorials/projects that you find interesting, and order the parts for them from mouser/digikey/ebay - where ever.  Shields teach you little more than how to solder and program.  Building up the circuit yourself you'll lean more - and can experiment more.  And when you're done - you have a punch of parts you can use for the next project.

Offline ChrisGreece52Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics Engineer - Hacker - Nerd
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 11:28:51 am »
Thanks for your reply i already have a breadboard and power supply but i need to go deeper into software and hardware so that i can learn from it .
If you have any interesting ic's it would be great.

Offline goesfast

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 04:21:34 am »
I use my arduino for all sorts of thing. I personally like the ping ultrasonic sensor, it has sample code on the parallax website and it is usually spot on (the only time the measurement is off is because of operator error). For an LCD they are all pretty much the same, just make sure that if you do not have the mega, get one of the LCD's that only need three pins. I don't know where mine is from, I got it with my digisparks. For good servos, I would try looking at RC car websites, they have some of the best, and highest power servos in a small form factor that i've used. For stepper motors, try looking for people throwing away printers, typewriters, or things like that; take them home and strip the motors out of them, printers usually have a surprising number of stepper and non-stepper motors in them. And lastly, I use the plain jane arduino ethernet shield. Just thought i'd put in my $0.02

Offline Denhart

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 08:37:51 pm »
You should get yourself a nice and big breadboard and a bunch of wires, and perhaps some basic electronic components such as resistors, capacitors and so on.. Then buy a bunch of analog and digital sensors and start playing, sensors are always a winner! 

Offline akcoder

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 03:30:07 am »
You should get yourself a nice and big breadboard and a bunch of wires, and perhaps some basic electronic components such as resistors, capacitors and so on.. Then buy a bunch of analog and digital sensors and start playing, sensors are always a winner!

I'll second what @Denhart says. Look on flea bay for "65 jumper wires" and pick yourself up a set. Make that two sets! they work awesome.

-dan

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf