Author Topic: Agilent 6632B Power Supplies  (Read 15620 times)

Offline ConesTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Agilent 6632B Power Supplies
« on: February 23, 2013, 12:02:37 pm »
Hi,

I am new here, I've been reading the forum and watching Dave's video's for a while now though.

I was after a decent bench supply and found the ones on ebay, before realising there were several threads already on here about them.

I am very pleased with these two supplies. I was surprised in how good a condition they appear to be in. Even the original Agilent cal stickers were intact before I opened the cases to clean out all the dust.

The full set of pictures is here :-

http://s699.beta.photobucket.com/user/cones_stuff/library/Agilent%206632B%20Power%20Supplies

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
Re: Agilent 6632B Power Supplies
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 12:19:04 pm »
They are superb pieces of kit :)

How come your voltage measurement in the 2nd photo is off? Did you not connect the remote sense terminals? They have to be used; if you don't need the remote sense capability, just connect the terminals directly to the outputs with a short wire link.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 12:20:37 pm »
Congratulation on those beasts !  :-+

Btw, just in case you want to have those terminals in front panel, it can be easily modded

Source -> http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/ngydx785/13391785.html

The photo quoted from above site should be pretty clear on what is needed to be done to have front terminals, less hassle especially on a tight space bench table. ;)

« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 12:28:14 pm by BravoV »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 01:07:48 pm »
They are superb pieces of kit :)

How come your voltage measurement in the 2nd photo is off? Did you not connect the remote sense terminals? They have to be used; if you don't need the remote sense capability, just connect the terminals directly to the outputs with a short wire link.

Hi,

Yes, the remote sense is linked on the back terminals at the moment. I did not bring the cables forward to the multimeter connection point, hence the difference. I might try that again with the sense connected.

Thanks

Mark

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 01:22:21 pm »
Congratulation on those beasts !  :-+

Btw, just in case you want to have those terminals in front panel, it can be easily modded

Thanks, I was just looking at these very same photos.

I bought some terminal post recently to mod two high output (HP DPS-600PB 12V DC 47A 575W) server supplies so I could use them as a supply to my Hyperion EOS720i Super Duo3 charger with 1000w when in series together at 24V.

I wonder if the spacing on the holes will fit a Cliff dual terminal post?
http://www.cliffuk.co.uk/products/terminals/dual.htm

Thanks

Mark

Offline cyr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 08:16:08 pm »
What a coincidence, I've just finished cleaning out and checking my second 6632B.

The first one I got from a seller in Finland had a visibly faded display but was otherwise in excellent condition, this one looks even better externally although I noticed some corrosion on the metal inside. Not sure what kind of dust this thing has been inhaling, so I took it apart completely and washed the boards off to be on the safe side.

I've also been playing around with these, GPIB and a Keithley 2015. I stepped through the entire range in 10mV steps and logged the voltage measurements of the supplies and the DMM, and both my 6632B's matched the Keithley within 0.01% over the whole range except at the very low end below half a volt or so.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 09:55:35 pm »

I wonder if the spacing on the holes will fit a Cliff dual terminal post?
http://www.cliffuk.co.uk/products/terminals/dual.htm

Yes they will. I have some on the bench waiting to go on. The problem with this PSU is the cutouts in the panel limit the space to solidly mount the terminals without having to add a support  board.
 However the solid spacer on the Cliff TPP-4 should help a lot. My plan is to use a stack of washers to sit in the cutouts to control any shift or twist, and clamp between the front face and large washers or a piece of PCB behind.

I had a problem finding a source of these terminals, but knew I'd used them before on a couple of Xantrex PSUs (600v @1.7A on screw terminals  8)).

I emailed Cliff and they pointed me to this page at CPC, which features neither a picture nor the maker's part number, but is the TPP-4.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 11:04:27 pm »
I have been successfully using these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5pcs-Fork-Spade-Banana-TERMINAL-Dual-BINDING-POSTS-RBD-Fin-/400385192761?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Speaker_Parts&hash=item5d38d13339

I wired my own power supplies with sense terminals at front, so 2 pcs of dual binding post's per supply.

If You use these cheapo Chinese ones check that 4mm banana connector will fit before you install them. I had 2 connectors with too tight dimensions and of course I found it out after I had already installed them and close the box.

Offline Harvs

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 03:38:18 am »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5pcs-Fork-Spade-Banana-TERMINAL-Dual-BINDING-POSTS-RBD-Fin-/400385192761?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Speaker_Parts&hash=item5d38d13339

I wired my own power supplies with sense terminals at front, so 2 pcs of dual binding post's per supply.

If You use these cheapo Chinese ones check that 4mm banana connector will fit before you install them. I had 2 connectors with too tight dimensions and of course I found it out after I had already installed them and close the box.

I've been using basically the same binding posts for a project. Genuine Pomona ones are only about $2.50 from digikey, and the quality is excellent (as expected from Pomona), so for me it wouldn't be worth the time dealing with cheap ebay ones.  Particularly not on a high quality piece of test equipment.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 12:01:06 pm »
The Cliff terminals work nicely, and also allow space to put the sens ones on if you want.
Just a few washers as a spacer through the panel.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 12:06:32 pm »
With that spare space left, c'mon Mike, complete the mod with sense terminals and even add earth terminal.  :P

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 12:20:56 pm »
With that spare space left, c'mon Mike, complete the mod with sense terminals and even add earth terminal.  :P
If I ever feel the need for sense I'll add them.
For now I've just wired the sense to the back of the front terminals.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 05:55:19 pm »
That looks great. I will have to get a couple of sets of terminals ordered.

Thanks

Mark

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 08:19:36 pm »

I've been using basically the same binding posts for a project. Genuine Pomona ones are only about $2.50 from digikey, and the quality is excellent (as expected from Pomona), so for me it wouldn't be worth the time dealing with cheap ebay ones.  Particularly not on a high quality piece of test equipment.

My last experience with Pomona binding post's was less than satisfactory. Tellurium-copper 3770-2 low thermal emf binding posts: Out of 150 binding post's  maybe 20% were useless. Nut locking "dents" were pressed so deeply that nut didn't turn at all without some mangling with big pliers.  Compared to that I was more satisfied with chinese ebay clones.  :o

Offline Harvs

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 11:25:07 pm »
[size=78%]My last experience with Pomona binding post's was less than satisfactory. Tellurium-copper 3770-2 low thermal emf binding posts: Out of 150 binding post's  maybe 20% were useless. Nut locking "dents" were pressed so deeply that nut didn't turn at all without some mangling with big pliers.  Compared to that I was more satisfied with chinese ebay clones. [/size] :o

How odd.  I bought ten sets of the Pomona "dual binding post" on my last digikey order and they're awesome.

Offline bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 01:35:13 pm »
Hmm is forum broken ?

I get internal err 500 , when posting pics

/Bingo

Offline bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 03:04:47 pm »
gnif fixed the .jpg upload server error  :-+

This was my solution for the 6632B , not fancy but handy ...

The thin wire is sense (I know .... not at target) ...
My local EE says i should add 4.7uF inside the power-bar next time i open it.

/Bingo

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 03:25:19 pm »
Nice job  :-+ and great pictures but shrink them down in size first, that is a royal pain to see all of those huge images. 1024 wide is more than enough. FWIW If you plan to run high currents at high accuracy you might want to add some more or bigger wire to the buss bars connecting the jacks.  There will still be significant voltage drop on that size buss wire at high current.

Offline bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 03:58:52 pm »
Nice job  :-+ and great pictures but shrink them down in size first, that is a royal pain to see all of those huge images. 1024 wide is more than enough. FWIW If you plan to run high currents at high accuracy you might want to add some more or bigger wire to the buss bars connecting the jacks.  There will still be significant voltage drop on that size buss wire at high current.

Thanx robrenz.

The pics has been shrunk, but not resized.
They're 10x the size in originals.

The 6632B can "only" deliver 20V/5A , and i mostly use just pair 1 or 2 , but now you mention it ...
It seems like pair 2 would be preferable for just one connection ... As that's where the wires are soldered to.

I'll have to use a torch or something nasty t solder an additional buswire on there ie. one or two 16A copper wires from a 380v cable.

My 90w Soldering station took some time to heat up just the part where i connected the sense wires (an RJ-45 pair .. for the "twist").
http://www.somersetsolders.com/product.php/1009/0/quick_202d_90w_soldering_station

/Bingo
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 04:05:16 pm by bingo600 »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 01:00:03 am »

Thanx robrenz.

The pics has been shrunk, but not resized.
They're 10x the size in originals.

The 6632B can "only" deliver 20V/5A , and i mostly use just pair 1 or 2 , but now you mention it ...
It seems like pair 2 would be preferable for just one connection ... As that's where the wires are soldered to.

I'll have to use a torch or something nasty t solder an additional buswire on there ie. one or two 16A copper wires from a 380v cable.
A 90W iron should be more than sufficient to solder those wires. You just need to use a much bigger tip!
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Christopher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 07:54:28 pm »

They'll blow up with 5A thru em ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf