Author Topic: Aifen A9 - is it safe?  (Read 2958 times)

Offline dinthTopic starter

• Contributor
Aifen A9 - is it safe?
« on: April 21, 2022, 08:28:50 pm »
Hi. Following up on my previous thread here https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/clone-t12-hotair-is-it-safe-(photos-included)/ where you helped me greatly, i would just like to ask about a second station i received today.
Sorry for the poor quality photos - this station looks better built, so i dont want to disassemble it into pieces without a good suspicion. Are there any checks i should do on it?

« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 06:53:50 am by dinth »

Offline tcurdt

• Contributor
Re: Aifen A9 - is it safe?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 09:39:43 pm »
It's really weird there so little to find about this station.

Offline sobakava

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2022, 08:03:56 am »
Hi. Following up on my previous thread here https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/clone-t12-hotair-is-it-safe-(photos-included)/ where you helped me greatly, i would just like to ask about a second station i received today.
Sorry for the poor quality photos - this station looks better built, so i dont want to disassemble it into pieces without a good suspicion. Are there any checks i should do on it?

Do you measure any voltage between between the tip and ground / earth?

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2023, 11:41:28 pm »
Tip is NOT earth grounded.
You can see the yellow/green lead going off to the circuit board. On the circuit board there is a capacitor from earth to the supply 24V ground, that is it.
I measured 9V AC with no noticeable current (<1mA) between the tip and ground. So it shouldn't immediately blow anything up, but I would still prefer an earthed tip for safety.

Shorted out that capacitor and its still working OK (temperature is stable, sleep still works). The cradle is pulled up to ~5Vdc using a wire inside to main PCB.
One minor annoying thing about this station is no spots for tips, but seller included a nice stainless container for them.
Also tip removal metal is not tied to the cradle, so removing the tip does not turn off the heater.. could add a small jumper wire for this if you change tips often.

Peak power when turning on: 140W
Max power when soldering:
- knife tip 40W
- conical tip 20W

Performance is good but as expected you might not hit high power when soldering due to the limitations of a thermocouple based iron. But you'd see a lot higher with a proper short chisel tip, the knife tip is a bit long.

Other thread: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/any-sugonaifen-a9-c210c245c115-users/

« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 11:43:37 pm by thm_w »
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf