Author Topic: AiXun T3A firmaware update with Linux  (Read 1888 times)

Offline FurnaTopic starter

• Contributor
AiXun T3A firmaware update with Linux
« on: May 27, 2023, 04:20:44 pm »
Hello,

I ordered a T3A that is supposed to arrive in the next few days ... is there away to update the firmware from Linux?
I found the firmware available at https://aixun-updates.github.io/ anyway a search here and on Google didn't  return any usuful results.

Thanks
Furna
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

Offline Ungolian

• Regular Contributor
Re: AiXun T3A firmaware update with Linux
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2023, 03:41:28 am »
It might be possible with something like a Windows emulator (Wine or Crossover if you can find a copy), but I'm sure you know someone with a Windows notebook.  It's pretty much a one time only update, and takes 5 minutes.  I am still running version 1.25, so I'm not sure how the current firmware runs (haven't heard anything bad, so I assume it's fine).  I think you can now go back to older firmwares, so I'd do version 1.23 or 1.25- 1.23 was great, it worked perfectly, while 1.25 works the same, but added an unnecessary power graphing function like JBC.  Just make sure you don't have the unit itself plugged into the mains.  Not sure if it's been fixed or not, but someone fried their laptop trying to update it while the unit was plugged into mains and switched on.  The USB power from the laptop is all you need to update.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 03:47:05 am by Ungolian »

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2023, 01:31:40 pm »
Thanks for sharing your experience about the formware versions.

I should have better explained ... I have no issue finding a Windows machine. Anyway I have been told the Windows upgrading software requires a registration on AiXun website; I would prefer avoiding that.

I still didn't check what MCU is running in this box ... I saw some post title about hacking the T3B citing STM anyway I didn't investigate better ... I would prefer starting to use the tool instead of disassembling to install pin headers for the dbug port and programming from there ...

In short ... is registration to AiXun website required to upgrade the firmware?

Offline Ungolian

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2023, 03:04:18 pm »
I'm pretty sure I didn't have to register my updater, but that was a while ago.  I uninstalled my updater over a year ago. Things may have changed though.  Here's a link to Crossover.  It's a paid application, but it has a free trial period.  That's my best suggestion. 

https://www.codeweavers.com/crossover

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2023, 04:06:22 pm »
What's the programming interface?  USB?

I'm not sure if Wine/Crossover will do what you want, I don't think they provide USB kernel interface emulation

I'd put Windows inside a virtual machine and then forward a USB port to the VM.  In Virtualbox this is easy via the GUI, but I normally use Qemu on the commandline.  If you have troubles: remember there are different USB types (XHCI/EHCI/etc) that are normally transparent to the user but matter when forwarding ports.

Offline Ungolian

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2023, 05:15:18 am »
^^ What he said. I'm totally not a Linux pro, just throwing out a suggestion or two.  Good luck!

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2023, 11:53:05 am »
As I wrote already, it isn't a matter of finding a Windows machine or running a VM ... I would say I have a good knowledge about PCs and operating systems ...
I grabbed an empty old SSD and I now have a dual boot machine with Linux and Win10 ... luckly the old SSD will survive a few days/weeks ...

I do confirm: the AiXun "Platform" software is asking for registration; see attched images of the first screen as soon as the software starts.
I easily find two versions on:
Version 1.17.14 https://www.aixuntech.com/download/software-download/ => https://www.aixuntech.com/userimages/2023-05/aixun_install_en.rar
Version 1.16.xx https://www.jcprogrammer.com/download => https://www.aixuntech.cn/userimages/2022-11/aixun_install_cn.zip
The installer english version of 1.17.14 also installs old FTDI drivers ...
The software chinese version of 1.6.xx even asks for the phone number instead of the email address ...

Does anyone here still have the old installer?

I will try to contact info@aixuntech.com (so they have my email address) and politely ask if they can provide Linux instructions ... in the worst case USBpcap will be my friend on Windows.
I'll report here.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 02:51:33 pm by Furna »

Offline Ungolian

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2023, 05:01:04 pm »
Yes, I still have a copy of 1.06.  I can confirm that there is no registration, but since it is so out of date, it will ask you to update the installer to latest revision (which you can decline).  You just start it, change the language to English, install the driver, and connect the device.  I didn't try to update anything though, so it may or may not update the device.

The following users thanked this post: Furna

Offline Tom2

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2023, 08:38:52 pm »
In my case the older update software updates the station only to version 1.27. With the new update software I received version 1.32.

The new software solved the dormancy problem on my newer revision station. Before the update a dormancy delay between 1-10 seconds worked fine, but with larger delays the dormancy stopped working.

The UI changed slightly, see the attached image.

Offline finebyme

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2023, 10:20:33 am »
dident work for me

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf