Products > Other Equipment & Products

any experience with desolder gun for the thermaltronics TMT-9000

(1/3) > >>

julianhigginson:
I need a desoldering gun occasionally, so I'm looking about at the moment.

I'm considering the thermaltronics DS-KIT-1 to go with my TMT-9000s

but don't hear much about it.. does anyone here have one, and is it any good?

Also - I don't have "shop air" so if I was to get this I'd need to add a compressor. I see no specs for pressure and air consumption this thing needs, but ideally I'd like to be able to run it off something small and compact with basically no reservoir if possible.

Experiences and thoughts welcome!

julianhigginson:
eh, ok... a bit too obscure I guess.

wasyoungonce:
I've got 2 older Royel Desolder/Solder stations, twin iron, one also has resistance tweezers/thermal wire strippers.  Picked from fleabay all for less than $100 aust (incl irons).  It has inbuilt vac pump that can also provide positive pressure.  Also picked up qty 2 single Royel systems that use same irons.  I just saw one selling new unused for under $100.  I paid $45 for one of the single irons systems and its in absolutely top nick, changed tip check cal and it was within 8degrees C of 

Yes they are older but some irons are almost not used.  So you can pick up decent cheap equipment.  This stuff is ex military absolutely top shelf stuff.  Also managed to pick up a number of spare irons and desolder irons and around 200 new tips (desolder and iron tips)

edit: don't buy new Royel stuff its rubbish.

So for all up under $200you can get top class equipment, no need for expensive vac and pressure equipment.  Just have to be patient trawl the sale sites.  Fairy tales do come true.

eKretz:
If those are the same as the Metcal MX-DS1 (they look very similar) they will be excellent desoldering tools. I use a small homemade compressor for mine that I made from an old portable air conditioner compressor. (Very very quiet - can be used even while the kids are sleeping, but only about 2CFM).

LaurentR:
I have an MX-DS1 that I use occasionally. It does the job well.
It needs a 80-120 psi source, which is not easy to find.
Some options:
* Big garage compressor (noisy and big, but not necessarily expensive)
* Small and quiet(er) compressor. The airbrush compressor are a bit underpowered (typically in the 50psi). You could go for a Silentaire compressor (my wife has one and they are awesome but pricey).
* In my case, since I don't need the desoldering gun very often, I use paintball CO2 cartridges. As much pressure as you need, cheap to refill, very compact and quiet  ;D. It's a great solution for me, but if you need it very often, you'll need a compressor.

There some more forum posts and links in this thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/pressure-(and-compressor)-for-metcal-desoldering-gun/msg1052913/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version