Author Topic: Any experience with these $8 soldering irons?  (Read 10231 times)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Any experience with these $8 soldering irons?
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2016, 05:12:05 am »
Does anyone here have any experience with these super-cheapo $8 irons from eBay?

Don't, just don't.
I tore down one of these on the Mailbag and they are truly horrendous.

Offline mtdocTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2016, 06:17:50 am »
A teardown is available on one of those irons if you're interested.

He doesn't seem impressed...

Wow, that's pretty bad. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. Thanks for the link!

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2016, 12:45:10 pm »
Does anyone remember which mailbag had the teardown?

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2016, 01:02:02 pm »
Are you kidding? A Weller SP40NUS is 15 USD on Amazon. It is still probably a pile of poo, but at least it will not kill you. Have a rule, and dont buy anything "The cheapest" chinese, which has lithium battery or plugs into 230V.
Actually, the SP25NKUS is 8.7 USD
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 01:03:42 pm by NANDBlog »

Offline StuUK

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2016, 02:41:08 pm »

Does anyone here have any experience with these super-cheapo $8 irons from eBay?

We're putting together a "maker-space" at my son's elementary school.  I'm donating an old Weller WLC100 I have lying around.  Eventually I'm thinking of purchasing a bunch of cheap irons so that I can teach a group to solder.  I realize these are crap - but I did use a similarly cheap iron once while visiting the Noisebridge Hackerspace in San Francisco. As cheap as it was, it was actually usable.

I'm wondering if these cheap ones are reasonably safe and usable for kids.

Any personal experiences much appreciated.

FFS, just don't!!! if you want to risk killing yourself or someone else then buy a few!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2016, 03:49:28 pm »
Are you kidding? A Weller SP40NUS is 15 USD on Amazon. It is still probably a pile of poo, but at least it will not kill you. Have a rule, and dont buy anything "The cheapest" chinese, which has lithium battery or plugs into 230V.

Thanks for pointing those out. Do you have any experience with those 2 Weller irons?  I know Weller sells ungrounded 2 pin irons.  Are they actually safer? 

Again - the whole reason for my OP was to get some first hand opinion.  Anyone can look at the $8 eBay irons and see that they are built to a price. But that does not necessarily mean unsafe or unusable.  The cheap Weller's may be unsafe and/or unusable as well - as experience shows branding does not always ensure safe construction or usability.

Dave's input after a teardown and Big Clive's video were helpful.  I'm convinced that I should pass on those eBay irons.  Would love the hear or be pointed to first hand reviews of other super inexpensive irons.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 03:56:28 pm by mtdoc »

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2016, 04:07:10 pm »
i am waiting for delivery of the one i linked - i will tear it down for a full inspection before i even plug it in.
(like everything i get from asia)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2016, 06:28:48 pm »

Thanks for pointing those out. Do you have any experience with those 2 Weller irons?  I know Weller sells ungrounded 2 pin irons.  Are they actually safer? 
In most countries any appliance with exposed metal parts MUST have a mains earth connection by law and for good reason.
It wouldn't be lawful to sell any directly mains powered soldering iron with only a 2 pin mains plug here in NZ.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline vodka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2016, 07:18:04 pm »
I see several problems:

At first , i see that is a bestiality that a little boy uses a 60W soldering. Do they go to solder  electrical wires of 2.5 or 4 mm? I believe that no.
 As much they will solder a thin wires, and with a soldering 20-30 W  and with this,they will have enough.

Second, i see that is a soldering too long for a kid(8-10). we take care that the arms of the kids hasn't the same long than the teen or adult people. Furthermore, there is a certain danger that a boy suffers an accident by the falling soldering  and the boy burns with a burning injured of 2 grade.(If with a little soldering pain lot, you imagine with a 60 W).

Finally ,i think that the best tools for a little boys for teaching  the first technics of soldering  is with soldering of  20-30 W or with soldering gun. It's tools shorts and compacts ideals for kids.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2016, 07:44:46 pm »
In most countries any appliance with exposed metal parts MUST have a mains earth connection by law and for good reason.
It wouldn't be lawful to sell any directly mains powered soldering iron with only a 2 pin mains plug here in NZ.

Hmm, interesting.  Here in the USA there are still many 2 pin mains powered appliances with exposed metal parts - and they are usually UL listed.  It would seem to me that with proper insulation this is not a safety concern and I don't think UL is ignorant of the risks.

I'd rather have a 2 pin, ungrounded and properly insulated device than one with a 3 pin plug and dodgy connection to earth inside - and we all know that plenty of those are around.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2016, 07:46:18 pm »
I see several problems:

At first , i see that is a bestiality that a little boy uses a 60W soldering. Do they go to solder  electrical wires of 2.5 or 4 mm? I believe that no.
 As much they will solder a thin wires, and with a soldering 20-30 W  and with this,they will have enough.

Second, i see that is a soldering too long for a kid(8-10). we take care that the arms of the kids hasn't the same long than the teen or adult people. Furthermore, there is a certain danger that a boy suffers an accident by the falling soldering  and the boy burns with a burning injured of 2 grade.(If with a little soldering pain lot, you imagine with a 60 W).

Finally ,i think that the best tools for a little boys for teaching  the first technics of soldering  is with soldering of  20-30 W or with soldering gun. It's tools shorts and compacts ideals for kids.
I've got a nice little Antex X25 that boxes well above its weight and I can assure you it would burn you just as quick as any 60W iron.
Sorry, it's not W that burns but temp and solder melts at high temp compared to skin.  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2016, 07:53:18 pm »

Hmm, interesting.  Here in the USA there are still many 2 pin mains powered appliances with exposed metal parts - and they are usually UL listed.  It would seem to me that with proper insulation this is not a safety concern and I don't think UL is ignorant of the risks.

I'd rather have a 2 pin, ungrounded and properly insulated device than one with a 3 pin plug and dodgy connection to earth inside - and we all know that plenty of those are around.
Here 3 pin wall sockets are mandatory and all installations are ground return tested, or should be, it's law.
Maybe your  authorities don't consider single phase 110 VAC as dangerous as our 230 VAC.
That would worry me, not so much for my own safety but the population in general. Thinking kids...........
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline anman

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2016, 09:03:42 pm »
I'm wondering if these cheap ones are reasonably safe and usable for kids.
Any personal experiences much appreciated.
Let the seller will present instructions for use and product certification of the goods. Many things will become clear.

Offline rollatorwieltje

• Supporter
  • I brick your boards.
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2016, 09:17:12 pm »
I've got a nice little Antex X25 that boxes well above its weight

Can confirm, these and the smaller model (18W I think?) were quite popular among fellow students.
I only find it really annoying having to use an iron without a stand... More than once a burn streak was left in the desk, not to mention the chicken dance that ensues when you pull it off the table into your lap.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf