Products > Other Equipment & Products

Any opinions on the AiXun T3A?

<< < (65/223) > >>

mastershake:
i thinking about pulling the face and using a toroidal trans i have here in another case just to see how it performs

Ungolian:
Do you mean replacing the existing transformer with your toroid, or using a different toroidal psu to power the control board?  If it's a different psu, it probably isn't being overdriven, is limited to 120w, and will take longer to heat up.  Otherwise, it will probably perform the same.  Replacing the existing transformer might be possible, there is a decent amount of space around it.  For US/117vac primary, the Hammond 1182P12 is 3.75 inches wide by 1.63 inches tall.  The Hammond has dual primaries, so it will work at 230vac as well, but the Indel TST 120/003 is MUCH cheaper (26eur vs. 53 eur), but is 230vac only.  Both Hammond and Indel transformers are the same dimensions, but I haven't measured if there is enough room for them on the Aixun pcb, nor have I considered the mounting hardware for the toroids.

Have at it!

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hammond/1182P12?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtXHE36kCvv35gEQEha%252BHIxIx%2FhPoNBczA%3D

https://www.tme.com/us/en-us/details/tst120w_24v/toroidal-transformers/indel/tst-120-003/     

cgf5:
You can't replace just transformer. You need to built replacement for original PSU board. But you don't even need custom PCB, prototype PCB will do just fine. Regular power supply is just mains input fuse, transformer, diode bridge and smoothing capacitor(s).

Is possible to overdrive toroidal transformer by this much though? Original switching 120W power supply is pushing over 8A into 2.5Ω heater. Can you overdrive toroidal transformer by this much? I don't believe 120VA 24VAC transformer will give you 8-9A out. Maybe some overbuilt transformers can push 200% but I would guess average transformer will not. So toroidal transformer needs to be bigger since smaller one can't provide high peak power. Well if you want to get similar output. If you fine with lower power then 120VA could work - likely - if voltage doesn't drop too much to cause brownout.

24VAC transformer will give ~30VDC after smoothing, bit too hot I think. Perhaps 17-19VAC is better choice (~22-24VDC). VAC * 1,414 - 2x diode drop from bridge ~= VDC. Of course with no or minimal load voltage will be even higher! This calculates nominal voltage not unloaded voltage. The smaller the transformer the higher the unloaded vs nominal voltage difference.

FransW:
Design and operating criteria and limits apply to all system elements.
Implementing weak links is not very useful.
Normally these choices are the result of efficiënt operating requirements.
Oversizing parts of the system is not very useful. Except when already available.

In these cases, the limits are set by the heating element (tip) choice
Hakko, Weller, JBC, OEM type products, etc.
Since they all are functioning along the same principles, choices are limited and simple.

Other factors like lifetime (MTBF, MTTR) are mostly depending on the user requirements.

Happy soldering,  Frans

L-Train:
So I just got my T3A in the other day and didn't notice any noise coming from the handle while desoldering a few components while on the 1.19 firmware it came with. However, after upgrading to 1.23 I did notice slight buzzing coinciding with the power meter on the display. It's not loud enough to be concerning but noticeable in a silent room at regular soldering distance. I've attached a recording of the noise (boosted 40dB) and its spectrum with the station idling at 325C and the supplied knife tip installed. It was recorded with my phone mic directly on the handle around where your fingertips rest as I found that's where the noise was loudest. It's mainly ~166.67 Hz harmonics, in line with what cgf5 measured.

Other than that, it seems like a capable station so far and a definite upgrade from my old FX-888. Maybe Aixun can tweak their firmware to mitigate the small buzzing issue, but it's not too bothersome.

Edit: I had a bit more time with the station today and the station itself buzzes in the same manner as the handle. It's actually what's causing most of the audible buzz I hear. The handle is far fainter in comparison.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version