Author Topic: Any opinions on the AiXun T3A?  (Read 238568 times)

Offline Andrew LB

• Contributor
Re: Any opinions on the AiXun T3A?
« Reply #200 on: September 24, 2021, 11:26:19 pm »
I think im gonna bite the bullet and order one of these. I had been considering the KSGER T12 but the price on those keeps going up and this T3A seems like a much better deal. It's gonna be one heck of an upgrade over my 15+ year old Hakko 936esd.

yes indeed. worth opening and checking upon arrival. also i wonder about are the specific set of  precautions are taken against vibrations in shipping. for example in this case above: if they did not put thread locker on the screw. then if it gets sent via container ship. well they have these very large diesel engines, huge in fact. the slow vibrations from the engine will transmit through the ship. and such aspect not always considered so carefully at the factory

Interesting theory but it's not the case. These ships are 1,000ft long and the amount of vibration is about as much as you'd feel from having a window air conditioner on the opposite side of a room in a house. Each 20ft long container is full of pallets that are stacked and wrapped. Its all very secure. I'd be fare more concerned with your package being tossed around by the delivery courier.

The following users thanked this post: totalnoob

Offline cgf5

• Contributor
« Reply #201 on: September 27, 2021, 06:10:48 am »
KSGER T12 is still half the price of T3A (or even less). At least for me. Also, C245 tips are move expensive. So I don't think you can compare KSGER T12 with T3A by price/value.  I like T3A and C245 a lot but KSGER T12 is still by far better value. So if you want T3A go for it for extra performance not for value.

Many people will order from China directly so no ship would be involved anyway. I think package will receive most of the beating when traveling by itself in sorting center in China and after trip in your country. When you pack many packages in envelopes together I don't think there is place to move or vibrate. Package is most fragile traveling when alone.

BTW: new 1.20 firmware released:
1.优化加热逻辑,提升焊笔回温性能;
2.增加温度智能补偿功能;

1.Optimize the heating logic, improve the reheating performance of the soldering pen;
2.Increase the temperature intelligent compensation function;
Identical changelog with T3B 1.04.

Offline Ungolian

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #202 on: September 27, 2021, 03:38:50 pm »
It's worth mentioning that the KSGER can also use the 245 handle.  You need some slight modifications, I think it's 2 wires and a resistor, but there's so much in that thread.  Plus it's more complicated to install the custom firmware than the Aixun.  Cost-wise, you can get a KSGER/Quicko mini for $30, a 245 handle for another $20, and $5 for an ST Link (for installing the firmware).  That's $55/47 euro, but you still need power for it.  You can then use your bench supply, or a 24v wall supply if you have one.  Otherwise add another $20/17 euro for a powered unit.   So at most, you're looking at $75/64 euro for a KSGER/Quicko unit that can use the 245 handle and tips.  But there is more work involved, and less watts than the Aixun.  If you're not soldering on to multi-layer PCBs, or crusty British currency, performance is probably the same.  The Aixun is the better unit overall, but does cost more, and does have some quality control issues (at least for now).  No one has reported any outright failures, and only one person has reported a cracked inductor and a screw rattling around inside.  So I'm not sounding any "Do Not Buy" alarms.  Plus I went back and looked at the pictures of the control board SteveyG posted.  I counted 13 stray blobs of solder that if any one of them broke free, could bridge the smaller pins of some of the chips.  The internal soldering is just sloppy, there's no other way to say it.  It's advisable to open the unit as soon as you get it, inspect it, and clean up what you can.  Then you'll have a pretty good unit. 

The following users thanked this post: fkfaraz

Offline heuboda

« Reply #203 on: October 02, 2021, 08:54:37 am »
Hello,

thank you for all the inputs regarding the Aixun T3(A). I own beside some old Weller stations, also a Pace ADS200. It is a nice unit, but compare to an JBC T470 or even an T245 it is not so powerful, when you have to solder power electronic parts. So I ordered an Aixun T3A with an T245 handle. I have not found any news, if and how it is possible to use an JBC tweezer at the T3A station. Is there a splitter or an electronic I can use between this station and an tweezer?
Thank you for your help ....

Offline EricNava

• Contributor
« Reply #204 on: October 02, 2021, 09:02:02 pm »
Hi everyone, I just got my T3A in the mail today, and I thought I would share my thoughts.

My unit arrived with firmware version 1.18, and I have updated to version 1.2.

One annoyance is when you turn the encoder a bit fast, it misses pulses and doesn't adjust the temperature down or up as expected
If you turn it slowly, it works fine, but I would have thought that would have been fixed in firmware by now.

Another annoyance is it doesn't seem like the sleep settings work at all. I have tested the "sleep time setting" and "standby mode set" settings and they don't seem to do anything.
If I leave the unit powered on with the handpiece heated out of the stand, it does not shut off or go to sleep after the selected time, or anything like I thought it would.
Maybe i'm missing something and those settings do something different.

One last thing is that the encoder knob is not fitted well in the case and it rubs against the front panel when you turn it. Not a big deal but a bit annoying.

Overall I am happy with the station, although since I have a genuine JBC 245 handpiece lying around, I want to make an adaptor to convert the plug on on the station to the JBC handpiece connector.

Offline cgf5

• Contributor
« Reply #205 on: October 03, 2021, 05:44:58 pm »
You have three preset temperatures with button. So you don't need to use encoder after initial setup. It's also faster to push button few times than adjusting with encoder. I have this glitch with encoder too, but I don't use it, so I don't care.

---

Sleep sets temperature to 0 (disables heating) and timer starts when dormancy starts.
Standby turns of screen and timer starts when sleep starts.

You put hand piece into stand -> dormancy time -> heating reduced to dormancy temperature -> sleep time -> heating disabled -> standby time -> screen turns off.
If you don't have dormancy temperature then heating is disabled as you put hand piece into stand/enter dormancy and only standby has any effect. So sleep doesn't change anything in such case.

I have the latest firmware and dormancy, sleep and standby is working as described.

So dormancy/sleep/standby can only work if you put hand piece into stand. Otherwise, station thinks you are actually soldering whole time. Turning your station off when you are soldering would be bad. Also, there is no mechanism to wake station back up. The only way would be pushing button and that's not very practical. This is different from KSGER for example where you have tilt switch in handle, so station knows when you are moving with hand to keep heating. T245 relies only on contact with stand so hand piece will heat forever unless put in stand. Tilt switch is not perfect thought. I did have many instances where I did not move enough and KSGER did go sleep when I was soldering. So JBC style is better - it will never turn on you when you are soldering but you need to use stand with contact.

Offline EricNava

• Contributor
« Reply #206 on: October 03, 2021, 06:29:06 pm »

You put hand piece into stand -> dormancy time -> heating reduced to dormancy temperature -> sleep time -> heating disabled -> standby time -> screen turns off.
If you don't have dormancy temperature then heating is disabled as you put hand piece into stand/enter dormancy and only standby has any effect. So sleep doesn't change anything in such case.

Many thanks for the explanation, that makes sense now.
I thought the sleep or standby setting was to disable the heater when the handpiece had been taken out of the stand for a set time and not been put back in.
I would still like this option as a safety thing, so if you forget to put the iron back in the stand, it won't just stay on forever and pose a fire risk.

Offline cgf5

• Contributor
« Reply #207 on: October 03, 2021, 07:30:17 pm »
I would be nice to have another timeout, but even with three timeouts it's confusing. Forth may cause more confusion than help I guess.

I use central solution for this kind of issue where all power supplies, DUTs or potencially dangerous instruments are swicthed by master switch. I'm used to never leave bench powered when I go away unless absolutely necessary. Switch box has lights so it's easy to see that power is on. Easy and simple to switch everything off and on. Perhaps you could think of some central solution instead? One could make relay box where bench will turn off by itself if too much time passes and you could warn before timeout and reset timer with button. Many options. Central switch would give you much more safety. In many cases instruments can be safe, but your DUT/project in progress may not, so that's why I prefer central solution instead of shutting down specific instruments.

Offline mastershake

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #208 on: October 03, 2021, 10:56:15 pm »
i use a motion and or door sensor on both are hooked up and on a switch to use either one. they are in the the entrance to where i work with soldering and hot air guns etc so when i leave the room and walk past it or close the door then all power is shut off to the desk and stations so i never have to worry about anything being left on. i set it on the door way so i have to walk through it. it also will turn them on when i enter the room so they are ready to use. there is a manual switch of course to fully disable it if i want to. i think it works great and has yet to fail by leaving anything on. only my wife and older teenage daughter so i dont have to worry about any little kids messing with it. and i can easily look into the room to see if the leds are lit to verify it is off if i ever want to.

ive also considered changing the pot out to see if i can make it a bit more responsive. i wish the firmware was either open or we could dump it to work with it if i get an itch one day i may take it back apart to see if there might be a way to flash or mod these that would be awesome imo.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 10:58:23 pm by mastershake »

Offline cgf5

• Contributor
« Reply #209 on: October 04, 2021, 12:52:56 pm »
Don't ever hope for open source firmware from manufacturer. Manufacturer will never do it since it would give clones way too easy way to make customized copy. The only way for open source firmware is to write it again by community.

You can get binary blob easily since they support firmware upgrade. Just start their AiXun Platform installation package (JCID) application and application automatically downloads latest firmware blob into "downdata" directory located in installation directory of JCID. Looks like regular firmware binary, but it seems to have some extra data. Likely some formatting would be needed to flash it directly with STLink. Or you can abuse JCID application to flash modified firmware blob. Maybe replacing firmware with read-only file would work or block their API in firewall or swap firmware after download from API but before upload to station. You also can download firmware from their API http://api.jcxxkeji.com:9000/upload/bott/JC_M_T3A.bin (this URL is hardcoded in JCID.exe binary). You don't even need to take it apart since firmware upgrade is supported out of the box.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 12:54:45 pm by cgf5 »

Offline mastershake

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #210 on: October 04, 2021, 04:00:29 pm »
i was thinking they would have the usb port somehow locked down. i have not spent any time on it looking at it yet that was just a thought off the top of my head last night lol.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #211 on: October 04, 2021, 08:46:06 pm »
Hello,

thank you for all the inputs regarding the Aixun T3(A). I own beside some old Weller stations, also a Pace ADS200. It is a nice unit, but compare to an JBC T470 or even an T245 it is not so powerful, when you have to solder power electronic parts. So I ordered an Aixun T3A with an T245 handle. I have not found any news, if and how it is possible to use an JBC tweezer at the T3A station. Is there a splitter or an electronic I can use between this station and an tweezer?
Thank you for your help ....

ADS200 is arguably defective in that it cannot output its rated power (120W) continuously.
It is not possible to use tweezers directly. Maybe if you are adventurous you can parallel the heater connections together, but, not entirely sure that would work: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/jbc-handle-cartridge-data/
You really want a station with two outputs to power the two heaters in a tweezer.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline heuboda

« Reply #212 on: October 04, 2021, 09:03:06 pm »

Thanks a lot for your information. The pinout of the JBC cartridges will help to adopt tweezers to an Aixun T3A or T3B. To but them parallel seams the only way to use them in this config, as you wrote.

Regarding the ADS200, in this video it is described at about 20 minutes of the video, that the Pace will not give all the power to reach the temperature under full load.

I explored the same behavior. May Pace is limiting the full 120W continuous to protect the heating element. I don't know.
Thanks again and all the best ...

The following users thanked this post: SteveyG

Offline Ungolian

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #213 on: October 04, 2021, 09:47:26 pm »
It's worth mentioning that the Unisolder can run tweezers.  You can build one for about 150 euro, not including taxes and casing.  There are several projects for 3D printed casing if you look around.  Maybe sell the Pace, and go Unisolder.

The following users thanked this post: SteveyG

Offline dreamcat4

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #214 on: October 04, 2021, 09:57:44 pm »
ok can i ask then instead of paralleling the heater elements, how about adding a 2nd mosfet. and driving it with the same signal from the mcu? perhaps that would be slightly better way?

Offline cgf5

• Contributor
« Reply #215 on: October 05, 2021, 05:32:19 am »
Paralleling is bad since you share control loop. With one control loop temperature will be off on not monitored tip. By how much depends on thermal load and thermal coupling. Another mosfet is identical thing. You share control loop and put heater in parallel. Also, two heaters will double current from power supply - may be issue too. It may work somehow, but it's not good idea.

Imagine extreme condition - one side of tweezers has good thermal coupling, tip is wetted. Other side is not wetted and has terrible thermal coupling.
If you have control loop monitoring loaded side, then temperature of other side could be crazy high.
If you have control loop monitoring unloaded side, then temperature of other side would be too low, and it wouldn't melt solder.
In reality, it may not be always as bad as this example, but here you can see how sharing control loop is flawed. One side would be unregulated in specific conditions.

You really want two independent outputs or two stations. There is no good way to easily add support for tweezers. You would need to duplicate control board to do it properly.
I guess two modified cheap KSGER units could do it or better build Unisolder.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 06:03:05 am by cgf5 »

Offline aix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #216 on: October 05, 2021, 04:46:20 pm »
Did anyone buy the stand in this listing:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003188761354.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.251a34b0TK3OKS

?

I'm trying to figure out whether it's out-of-the-box compatible with T3A + T245 (in terms of connectors/standby).  The listing is a bit unclear on that.

P.S. Or if you have an Ali link for a known-compatible stand, that would be very helpful too.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 04:56:56 pm by aix »

Offline mastershake

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #217 on: October 05, 2021, 04:58:29 pm »
its is not you have to change the connectors either on the handle side or the stand side. the stand is for the t3b which has a stock jbc style connector not the one that comes with the t3a it can work but requires some mods to work.

edit supposedly this is a new model stand after asking them for the 245 station. i ordered one il see when it gets here if it works or what needs to be done to make it work if not.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 09:25:05 pm by mastershake »

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
« Reply #218 on: October 05, 2021, 10:05:29 pm »

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003188761354.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.251a34b0TK3OKS

?

I'm trying to figure out whether it's out-of-the-box compatible with T3A + T245 (in terms of connectors/standby).  The listing is a bit unclear on that.

P.S. Or if you have an Ali link for a known-compatible stand, that would be very helpful too.  Thanks!

Yes, I'm just waiting for it to arrive, hopefully in the next week or so.  Video once it's here :-+
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

The following users thanked this post: aix

Offline mastershake

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #219 on: October 06, 2021, 01:05:51 am »
i did get a response that this will supposedly be the new model stand included with the t3a now but the price will go up accordingly. im was told somewhere around 150-as much as 180$ as a full set depending on which response im going off of, kind of a bummer they decided to change it after i bought them lol, always the way it is.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 03:48:03 am by mastershake »

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #220 on: October 06, 2021, 08:29:36 am »

?

Yes, I did recieve one.
It is part of a T3B station and accommodates my T245 handle. I use it with a T3A station.
Sleeping mode is by wire & plug connection with the T3A station.
The stand is directly useable.
Frans
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 08:32:25 am by FransW »
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

Offline cgf5

• Contributor
« Reply #221 on: October 06, 2021, 10:09:34 am »
Just idea for diy people - you don't need to buy and then modify pricy stand. You can easily create better stand on your own. I just bought few gx12-5 connectors, piece of 4 core silicone cable and put it on stand that I used with T12 (I think this is SR-SH819 from tme.eu). I didn't use original stand since this one is heavier and has wool instead of sponge. I did steal collar from original stand though (and piece of original stand act as nut). Now I have only one cable going to station and handle plugs into stand. I didn't modify handle nor station. Stand just plugs between station and handle as is. Easy and efficient.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline mastershake

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #222 on: October 06, 2021, 08:24:55 pm »

?

Yes, I did recieve one.
It is part of a T3B station and accommodates my T245 handle. I use it with a T3A station.
Sleeping mode is by wire & plug connection with the T3A station.
The stand is directly useable.
Frans

was the one you got sold as a 245 stand? the one person who got back to me told me this is supposedly a new stand for the 245 specifically (they could be totally wrong and just selling the other one as the "245" one) so im curious

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #223 on: October 06, 2021, 10:10:23 pm »
A few remarks:
  most current OEM/clone soldering stations operate on the same priciples when compared: Weller, Pace,
  Hakko, JBC, AIXUN, KGER, T3A, T3B, T12, etc. None of them deserves 80 pages to discuss their
  performance or software version(s).
  They all react fast, have a comparable control part and a SMPS for 12V, 24V and 48V dc,
  depending on the required power.
  The connectors are either Binder, Hirosi or aero connectors and the stands vary in price from plastic
  and sponge ($10-15) to more luxurious from metal, metal wool cleaner ($35-50) to the most luxurious
  JBC stands ($120-150). And of course there are infinite amounts of DIY solutions. Nice one, cgf5!

Quote:
was the one you got sold as a 245 stand? the one person who got back to me told me this is supposedly a new stand for the 245 specifically (they could be totally wrong and just selling the other one as the "245" one) so im curious"
Unquote.
Yes, it was sold to accomodate a T245 handle. Not directly fitting is the NT115 handle (smaller).

Looking at the use of tweezers, even JBC sells their most powerful station in sets of two to be able to use tweezer handles (KHT470A).
The best station is from my point of view the Unisolder 5.2c. However, the screen/display forces the use of strange and uncomfortable cabinets.

I am also using the TEC extension, a relatively simple switch box, see attachment.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 10:24:27 pm by FransW »
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

Offline pipb

« Reply #224 on: October 11, 2021, 09:54:29 pm »
I did some reverse engineering work.
The low voltage DCDC is MP9942 and outputs 2.8V. That's some odd choice given the uC is rated 3.3V nominal voltage. This is also the supply for the TC amplifier.
The diode addition near the DCDC is some voltage limitation for the EN pin of the regulator. It might be that the pull-up to 24V was injecting too much current.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf