Author Topic: Best (cheap) universal programmer  (Read 6649 times)

Offline masterx81Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Best (cheap) universal programmer
« on: February 26, 2020, 09:30:33 pm »
As the old notebook with the parallel port had decided to not power on anymore, i need to replace the old willem programmer for something more "modern".
I do pic, 24c eeproms, dallas rtc/ram chips, old eproms, and eventually flash chips (like for example the bga153).
I was searching also over here and seem that the tl866ii (as the cs/a are out of production) is the best bet. But it not do the emmc. For example the rt809h does the emmc.
This pair of programmers are a good chioce? Thanks!

Offline bsudbrink

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Best (cheap) universal programmer
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 09:37:09 pm »
You can still get PCI (various flavors) parallel port cards.  And you can then load drivers/dlls that trick the willem eprom software into talking to it.  It works, I use it.  It is a hassle however...

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 10:58:38 pm »
Yes, that would be an alternative, i have also a desktop pc with win xp. But in any case the willem can't last forever.... would be nice something  via usb...

Offline greenpossum

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 11:12:03 pm »
The TL866II plus is the current model.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 11:27:17 pm »
Thanks! There is something to check before buying? Counterfait/clone models that can give problems etc?
I have seen also some programmers with ez-something name. There are differences between this and tl866ii?

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 11:41:26 pm »
Thanks! There is something to check before buying? Counterfait/clone models that can give problems etc?
I have seen also some programmers with ez-something name. There are differences between this and tl866ii?

According to an Amazon review I noticed a while back, the TL866II Plus has a lower programming voltage (18V compared to 21V) of the TL866A  -  which means some older EPROMS like 2532 or 2732 cannot be programmed with the Plus.

Offline greenpossum

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 11:52:04 pm »
Yes that's correct that's why I'm hanging on to my old CS, which works fine anyway so why spend money. I only have a handful of old EPROMs and no old equipment to maintain. If needed I'd make an adaptor from 28 to 24 pin EPROMs.

Offline greenpossum

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 12:42:01 am »
Incidentally I run the TL866CS program on XP in a VirtualBox VM on Linux. Works a treat using USB forwarding. So I don't worry about XP going pear shaped, I can resume from an old snapshot.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 05:33:20 am »

According to an Amazon review I noticed a while back, the TL866II Plus has a lower programming voltage (18V compared to 21V) of the TL866A  -  which means some older EPROMS like 2532 or 2732 cannot be programmed with the Plus.
Uh that's bad. The cs seem out of production, but i've seen it both used or new over ebay
I've read here on eevblog that increasing the write times can do the trick with the 866ii programmer with lower vpp. But it work on the long term?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 06:00:32 am by masterx81 »

Offline greenpossum

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 07:43:34 am »
The mfr claims that any old models are fake, so beware of "new" stock. Do you really need to program 21V EPROMs?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 07:45:48 am by greenpossum »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2020, 08:00:51 am »
The mfr claims that any old models are fake, so beware of "new" stock. Do you really need to program 21V EPROMs?
Not needed now, but i have some boards that have that type of eprom (and i have already a dunp).
I've found an used cs. There is a way to recognize a fake?

Offline greenpossum

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2020, 08:11:12 am »
You can program a lower voltage chip you know, no need to have the exact model, as long as the access time is less or equal. No idea.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 08:13:12 am by greenpossum »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2020, 10:17:11 am »
Got a new 866II. I think that in case i can add 3v to the vpp quite easily....
Thanks!

Offline zero9

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2020, 11:13:30 pm »
RT809H is worth to mention.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2020, 01:31:03 pm »
Seen it, but from what i've read it's spoecific for flash devices. I need something "universal"...

Offline octillion

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2020, 05:28:44 am »
I don't think anything truly universal exists, instead you'll have to look for the programmers that support the devices you need, likely collecting a small number of "unversal" programmers.

I've been using the XGecu TL866II Plus the past two years and been pretty happy with it, though it doesn't support everything I'd like, such as page addressed ROMs (like Intel 27C011) or FRAM (like Cypress FM16W08).  To cover these, just this week I received the Willem GQ-4X V4 (GQ-4X4), and so far so good, but unfortunately it doesn't support flash (they have a separate flash programmer).  It's more expensive than the TL866II, but still fairly cheap.

Offline TD-Linux

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2020, 11:11:20 pm »
Incidentally I run the TL866CS program on XP in a VirtualBox VM on Linux. Works a treat using USB forwarding. So I don't worry about XP going pear shaped, I can resume from an old snapshot.

You can also use this program directly from Linux: https://gitlab.com/DavidGriffith/minipro

One option for parallel port programmers is a PCIe or Expresscard parallel port, with pcie (vfio) passthrough to a VM. Works well but is less convenient.

Offline Steve007iii

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2021, 10:32:56 pm »

Comparison of Genuine and counterfeit products

http://www.xgecu.com//images/fake3.jpg

http://www.xgecu.com//images/IMG_0681.jpg

the device looks the same as original product.

Why prompt for fake product?
1. Some people changed the TL866CS programmer to 866A. then Destroyed checksum of the serial number in the product. if use Original serial code. There is no limit to the normal use of programmers. just a warning about clone.

2. if use Random generated serial code. you can not upgrade more. Only reset the programmer to old software version. because the fake makers use the same way to production.(Warning: there are at least 20 ways to verify serial numbers.)

3. In fact, if there is no counterfeit hardware products, we will not limit the software( TL866CS programmer to 866A), but the emergence of hateful counterfeiters, it is really helpless action.

4. Finally, TL866CS / A has been stop production for a long time, we only provide few upgrading for old products. XGecu TL866II PLUS has stronger encryption. It has stronger functions, faster speed and better experience.

Reset Programmer to Old Software Version
if the programmer is bricked. you can add a resistor(about 240 ohm) as the follow picture. and install old version software , then reflash firmware. then remove this resistor.

http://www.xgecu.com//images/resistor.jpg

« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 10:38:48 pm by Steve007iii »

Offline BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2021, 10:56:37 pm »
If you get a TL866 get it straight from the source to avoid fakes, they sell on ebay, amazon and AliExpress.

http://www.xgecu.com/en/TL866_Dealer.html

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf