Author Topic: Best BST-863 hot air station  (Read 33643 times)

Offline mastershake

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Best BST-863 hot air station
« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2021, 06:15:09 pm »
i own three of these stations (for use in different places) and the only issue i had with one of them is the paint is cracking and peeling at the top left corner like they did not prep the surface there well enough. otherwise not a single issue (minus the beeping which i fixed day one simply using a small screw that threads into the hole in the plastic on the buzzer on board then a blob of hot glue to hold it from backing out. this way you can adjust it to be as lout or quiet as you want simply by turning the screw or even kill it altogether. but i did buy these all over a year ago so i cant say they did not go downhill since. i also have some other best things that work fine as well. when i contacted best about a few parts i wanted they were good and got back to me pretty quick. maybe they can help if you contact them directly they sent me a few parts without much of a hassle

The following users thanked this post: dreamcat4

Offline dreamcat4

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2021, 06:43:11 pm »
yes great. do you have a solid contact information for getting best parts within the company? and did they quote you a replacement cost for any of them at the time? that would all be pretty helpful. many thanks

:-+

Offline mastershake

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2021, 07:12:20 pm »
i sent contact through their website https://www.szbesttool.com/products/BST-863-Best-Quality-High-Power-1200W-Digital-Touch-Screen-Display-Hot-Air-Heat-Gun-SMD-Rework-Desol.html

the couple parts i needed they just sent them out to me so i didnt bother asking for cost. the person i dealt with asked for some pics

Offline tatel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2021, 11:17:56 am »
as far as i can tell all of the fault here i have seen is purely related to the fan function. for which i have found 2 different ways to fix it. so in other respects it seems ok to me. after you ditch the original control board, then what you have is some pretty dumb pieces (other than the bldc fan). you have a decent quality handle, a decent quality mains filter, internal wiring is pretty neatly done and all that

Well, it does look as if the handle/reed switch would be also giving problems. Like the first unit delivered to me, and, IIRC, there are other posts in this thread about that.

this is.... miles better than my 858d+. and while the quality is better in other more expensive stations, the extra quality is not a linear scale for the price... you are paying relatively more for that last mile. when compared to the base price / base materials price and bom cost

I could agree here. I wanted to have a mightier hot air station with a big fan in the case, not a little one in the handle. I wanted it no crazy expensive. So I was leaning to the Quick 861. But, after realizing this station looked very much the same, being cheaper and having a mod board with FOSS FW available, I tought it ticked all my boxes and decided to purchase it.

However, my three year old Yihua 853D, while being clearly weaker, was nevertheless able to work out of the box, and is still working. Should Best be able to do the same that the somewhat infamous Yihua brand do, I would agree 110% with you.

however i did also pay #100 GBP less than everybody else. for buying the item as faulty to begin with. so there is that too

Yeah, I wonder why the original owner didn't returned it to the seller. 100 GBP are more or less equivalent to 120 EUR, which is what I paid for the second unit. So it looks as if you got it mostly free, and with minor faults only. It means you got lucky. However, it also means that the original owner did bear a 100 GBP loss. Not so lucky. So I really couldn't recommend the Best BST-863 to any prospective buyer.

Don't get me wrong, I still would like to have it working. Good to know that spares can be obtained. They don't look so cheap, however. Anyway, could you give us some links?

Offline dreamcat4

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2021, 11:29:58 am »
Well, it does look as if the handle/reed switch would be also giving problems

ah yeah sorry i forgot about the reed switch. this is the other thing very true

however it's a fairly minor issue, and something quite easy to fix once you know the solution (which was also already given in this thread earlier). To recap: Turn cradle upside down, and insert missing neodynium magnet. (you will need to get some small neodynium magnets from aliexpress). 2nd part of solution was to keep handle completely upright in stand, and not tilted. you can also rotate handle and mark an alignment. for the position where the reed switch engages the best. and/or buy replacement reed switches for the handle if they stop working. (although i forget the dimensions the other guy said now, they are inside the handle to check sizing)

could you give us some links?

this is the cheapest price i found for the fan+motor blower unit. it's the same as the Quick, so just search for quick blower fan etc. and it will show them

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001971508632.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.48e82e0eyY8QTY

you will probably find that is the least expensive option for this specific part. Because the higher end model quick TR1300, their official equivalent part replacement (in EU) is something like double that price (140 eur). however that part is also probably given a higher level of QA fwiw

The following users thanked this post: tatel

Offline RandomHacks

• Contributor
    • Youtube
« Reply #105 on: July 21, 2021, 12:50:41 pm »
It's a shame that the quality seems to be going downhill, I purchased my last station 3 months ago and it arrived without issues.
I've been using the first station daily for more than a year and it still works fine even after abusing the heater atleast once in the initial stages of my firmware  ::) ;D
I wonder if banggood is trying to get rid of returned units.
@tatel wow two DOA in a row that's really bad luck, hope they provide a satisfactory solution.

I just released a firmware update for my board that improves the fahrenheit usability (change step for fahrenheit is now 5 for single key touch and 20 for long touch, also improved the fahrenheit steps for the potentiometer).
Firmware version is now displayed at boot for 1 second.

New orders will be shipped later this week with the new firmware.
If you already have a board and use fahrenheit you can download the firmware from my github and upload to your board (github https://github.com/RandomHacks-Git/Best-Improvement), there is no need to update if you only use ºC as there are no changes.

Offline tatel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #106 on: July 21, 2021, 01:44:28 pm »
this is the cheapest price i found for the fan+motor blower unit. it's the same as the Quick, so just search for quick blower fan etc. and it will show them

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001971508632.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.48e82e0eyY8QTY

Wow that's really a fast answer. Thank you. However it puzzles me that there are 110-220V versions to choose? I was under the impression that the blower had a DC motor.

And here's the link to the heater spares (also 110-220V): https://aliexpress.com/item/1005001966661789.html

I wonder if banggood is trying to get rid of returned units.

Faulty units must be returned to the OEM. Please see attachment. So I don't think Banggood is selling again returned units. They could have a much better customer service, however. Since I'm still working these problems with them, I'm not speaking about it any more right now.  But I will let you know how it has been at the end of the journey.

The following users thanked this post: dreamcat4, RandomHacks

Offline mastershake

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107 on: July 21, 2021, 06:39:02 pm »
this blower motor is a bit less expensive then the one posted same one, https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001717942233.html?spm

The following users thanked this post: dreamcat4, tatel

Offline dreamcat4

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #108 on: August 06, 2021, 11:16:42 am »
Hello again, just to add here some photos, to show better how to do this gluing operations. As a preventative maintenance step, before the fan has broken and disintegrated inside. Much easier to follow than the detail text description:

there are certainly more people out there, whose quick fans have failed in the exact same fashion

there are these plastic welds that attach the disk which forms the side of the fan. and under the sharp jerky acceleration when it switches on, those plastic welds are the weakest point in the construction and will get sheared off by the sharp edges of the holes punched into the aluminium disk, which they are melted into

so what i have done on my one today is get a toothpick and some ca glue / super glue. and then put a little drop of super glue along the half of the toothpick which is not being held by your hand. and then turning the fan face down. (so that the aluminium disk is face down). and smearing the bottom inside joint where the curved fan blades meets the inside of the disk. you want a kind of arcing motion, like playing a violin. to get the glue applied evenly along the entire length of the fan blade seam. and hopefully some of the thin watery ca glue has been sucked into the tiny gap where they meet.

after the glue has dried with the fan kept upside down position, then you can turn it back up facing. and maybe put some tiny little dots of super glue on each of the black plastic welds. to help a bit more. here a tiny drop is much less than a full water drop. only enough to connect the pastic weld to the disk

hopefully that will be enough to prevent the sharp hole punched disk from shearing the welds. and keep the 2 components in place relative to each other. we shall have to wait and see what happens. which may be months / years. if it will still fail regardless. or if the repair was effective IDK

it just seems worth trying this as a precaution, before the failure occurs. because you know, if the disk comes off it will have broken those welds off. which is a valuable element contributing to the total strength of the joint. and if the fan is spinning fast when it fails, there is a potential for it causing more severe damage

you should all probably do this, regardless of which model station you own (except for the atten st-862d). because... all of them use these same exact blower fan. of course i also am not mentioning older and lesser stations here. i mean all the current ones within this same general performance category

and it would seem wise to nowadays only buy these bst-863 stations from local resellers inside your own country (or within EU etc). that should help a lot for dealing with the DOA possibility. YMMV
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 11:20:55 am by dreamcat4 »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline tatel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109 on: August 15, 2021, 07:25:24 pm »
Well, Banggood sent a replacement. I'm happy to say this one works fine.

Second unit's price was 120€. Shipping it to China was more than half that amount, so this time Banggood didn't ask me to return the unit to the OEM. They just sent the replacement to me instead. I'm quite happy with how Banggood managed it all. It could be way faster, however, and when they pay the freight expenses back to you, you lose PayPal's slice (if you paid via PayPal, that's it, because they use the way you choosed for payment in the first place). Should you need to return something with great expense, this could matter. But in this case, these have been just minor nuisances.

On the second, damaged unit, I have been able to fix the fan. I have to say I just got the aluminum plate out and sticked it again with some epoxy. It was sitting perfectly in his place. Also I didn't noticed any place where there could be friction between the blades (aluminum plate included) and any other parts, yet there was friction somewhere even after opening the fan. If made to spin with a finger, blades stopped almost immediately.

I got the aluminum disk out just as a first step, hoping to find where the problem really was. But then I was unable to find any way to dismantle it more without destroying it. Neither from the blades side nor from the motor side. After undoing the motor body, it seems there could be a couple screws/bolts, but they would be quite small and difficult to reach. Then I placed motor body again. Then I noticed the blades remained spinning longer after being finger-impulsed.

So I placed the aluminim disk on again. I needed to file the plastic welds since they have mushroom shape. I just made them a cylinder. Hammered the aluminum disk to get it straight again. Then I placed  a little bit of epoxy in all plastic surfaces that would be having contact with the aluminum disk, and clamped it all while epoxy was curing. A couple hours after that, it was working.

Don't ask me what the problem really was, I don't know. I didn't noticed anything weird while dismantling, friction aside. Perhaps blades were misaligned and the force used to get the aluminum disk aligned it? Or perhaps it was something in the axle? Fact is it seems to be working fine now. I'm taking it gladly anyway. Not bad to have a little bit of good luck after receiving two DOA units in a row.

So I could now just buy the heater (it melted when trying to give a second video to Banggood) then I would have two working stations... or could I let it as spares source? I don't know, will see after I put random_hack's board into the new unit.

The following users thanked this post: dreamcat4

Offline RandomHacks

• Contributor
    • Youtube
« Reply #110 on: August 19, 2021, 08:03:00 am »
So I could now just buy the heater (it melted when trying to give a second video to Banggood) then I would have two working stations... or could I let it as spares source? I don't know, will see after I put random_hack's board into the new unit.
What melted exactly? The plastic? Do you have continuity on the heater connections? If not you might just need to replace the thermal fuse inside the handle.
Nice that banggood finally sent you a working unit.

Offline tatel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #111 on: August 19, 2021, 09:08:34 am »
It melted at least one of the heater spirals... it also blowed main fuse F5AL250V next to 220V socket.

Didn't knew about any fuse in the handle, I will check it eventually, should I decide to purchase a new heater.

FWIW, please see attached picture

The following users thanked this post: RandomHacks

Offline RandomHacks

• Contributor
    • Youtube
« Reply #112 on: August 19, 2021, 01:04:20 pm »
It melted at least one of the heater spirals... it also blowed main fuse F5AL250V next to 220V socket.

Didn't knew about any fuse in the handle, I will check it eventually, should I decide to purchase a new heater.

FWIW, please see attached picture
Oh I see, maybe you can use a crimp butt connector to fix it? Not sure if it would last long but it certainly would save you some money, as long as the rest of the heating element is fine.

Offline tatel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #113 on: October 12, 2021, 07:16:57 am »
RandomHacks' board installed. It has been easy, not any problems whatsoever. It's working fine. Pots are working like a charm. Perhaps the values change a little bit too fast, but that's probably a matter to get used to it.

Offline dreamcat4

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #114 on: October 12, 2021, 08:18:03 am »
values change a little bit too fast, but that's probably a matter to get used to it.

Yes because the range is so large. But what you can do is to put on it the largest knob you can find. and that will help a lot.

Remember to leave a review after you have used it for a while. And state which hardware revision (rpi pico)

Offline RandomHacks

• Contributor
    • Youtube
« Reply #115 on: October 13, 2021, 11:29:56 am »
RandomHacks' board installed. It has been easy, not any problems whatsoever. It's working fine. Pots are working like a charm. Perhaps the values change a little bit too fast, but that's probably a matter to get used to it.

I'm glad you like it. As for the temperature pot being sensitive it's exactly what dreamcat4 said, the range is big 450ºC (from 100ºC to 550ºC) and the electrical rotation angle of the pot is only about 285º so for every angle of rotation you get a change of about 1.6ºC. You could use a multiturn pot but I think that would be quite annoying as they tend to have a lot of turns. A bigger diameter knob also helps as dreamcat4 suggested.
This being said I think you will get used to it pretty quickly  :D

Offline tatel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2021, 12:37:04 pm »
Yeah, I don't think it will be a problem.

BTW, I found another seller having the heater replacement, somewhat cheaper. €34, shipped. However, I found it only after purchasing the other replacement €42+5 shipping :-DD
Also, this new seller seems to carry only the 220V version

https://aliexpress.com/item/1005003069102798.html
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 12:44:50 pm by tatel »

Offline tatel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #117 on: October 20, 2021, 03:03:45 pm »
Heater replacement arrived today. DOA unit is working now

Seems to be working fine, however, when turning it off after after it has cooled, it wakes up momentarily, like just a second, and, of course, beeps. I don't remember the other unit doing so.

Perhaps in the future I'll play some more with both the original boards and heater, but not anytime soon

Offline seephor

« Reply #118 on: October 01, 2022, 07:24:20 am »
Hello everyone. I purchased one of these BST-863 units (110v version) and it was DOA like many of you have stated. A few searches on Google brought me to this board. Just wanted to state that the problem ended up being the reed switch in the handle. As soon as I opened the handle, the glass just fell out. My guess is that this is common due to shipping bumps? Anyway, thankfully they included a replacement so I replaced it and it's working now. I'm considering ordering the upgrade kit from RandomHacks (nice job man, really impressed). At minimum, going to kill the buzzer. I'll do some more testing and report back if I find more issues with it. So far it blows hot air.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 07:27:13 am by seephor »

The following users thanked this post: dreamcat4, Tugo

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf