Author Topic: Best precision screwdriver set?  (Read 96283 times)

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
Re: Best precision screwdriver set?
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2013, 06:24:41 pm »
Hitachi tools still seem to be made in Japan. Bosch are still seem to have factories in Germany too.
and in hungary where the blue industrial tools roll out too :) with a sticker made in switcherland yeah right :D

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2013, 11:20:43 pm »
I've an 18V Li-ion Bosch drill that's made in Switzerland that has too much run-out, and it doesn't have a lot of hours on it. Had it repaired under warranty, and it's already done the same thing. Works well otherwise.

Offline Napalm2002

• Regular Contributor
Best precision screwdriver set?
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2013, 01:51:46 am »
I have wiha and I have wera and xcelite. Hell I just love tools. Buy em all! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2013, 07:05:15 pm »
I've an 18V Li-ion Bosch drill that's made in Switzerland that has too much run-out, and it doesn't have a lot of hours on it. Had it repaired under warranty, and it's already done the same thing. Works well otherwise.
maybe time for you to take it apart and put some quality bearing in the shaft support? i have a skil masters 18v li-ion drill their biggest in the cordless range it took a sideway twisting during drilling to enlarge a hole in a plate for the doorlock and it rumbles the drill since that i dont know what the hell is the material the shaft the chuck and the bearings are made of but its some shit. a 20year old 710watt kres drill took more than this during its years

Offline algorath

• Contributor
« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2013, 06:46:43 pm »
wiha and wera have great tools. can´t go wrong with german high quality screwdrivers.

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2013, 04:01:30 pm »
as a mention onthe wiha tools again. not a precision set but does anyone have a shop nearby or knows one which hold their slimvario insulated bits? i need the ph/sl xeno bits both sizes it only came with pz bits

Offline bdivi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2013, 12:07:55 pm »
Just my two cents on the brand/no-name debate.

I have been using this one for more than two years http://dx.com/p/precision-screw-drivers-toolkit-for-electronics-diy-45-piece-set-36203. No problems so far and the steal and hardening seems reasonable.
I also own German Wiha system 4 and Felo. Wiha has been a bit of a disappointment - definitely not what I expected. The slotted bits bent easily.

As someone was suggesting earlier the best slotted precision tip I had was from carbon steal nail - just needed to grind it to shape.

Cheers

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2013, 07:40:09 pm »
Just my two cents on the brand/no-name debate.

I have been using this one for more than two years http://dx.com/p/precision-screw-drivers-toolkit-for-electronics-diy-45-piece-set-36203. No problems so far and the steal and hardening seems reasonable.
I also own German Wiha system 4 and Felo. Wiha has been a bit of a disappointment - definitely not what I expected. The slotted bits bent easily.

As someone was suggesting earlier the best slotted precision tip I had was from carbon steal nail - just needed to grind it to shape.

Cheers
i damaged on first use a system 6 ph1 blade. the damn thing slipped out and over a screw and here comes rounded edges

Offline Frost

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2014, 09:03:49 pm »
I received my Wera Kraftform Micro ESD precision screwdriver set today
and I am very impressed by the excellent build quality.

You can use 4mm Halfmoon or 4mm HIOS Bits with the bitholder.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2014, 08:59:41 am »
Bosch are still seem to have factories in Germany too.

If it comes to Bosch, many tools are now made in the Eastern European countries and NOT in Germany.
The tools can be divided in to the BLUE series and the GREEN series.
Do not buy the green stuff, as it is junk.
The blue series electric tools are professional tools and good quality. (Most of them)

If it comes to ultra small German made and precision hand drills, take a look at Festool. They have one small drill that is called the CXS.
It comes with accessories in a really great tray. I have found this to be the best you can get.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Festool-Festo-Akku-Bohrschrauber-CXS-Li-1-5-Set-Nr-564271-Akkuschrauber-/131051134755

The list of add on bits and gadgets is really long
https://www.festool.de/Produkte/Pages/Produktdetailansicht.aspx?pid=564252&name=Akku-Bohrschrauber-CXS-Li-1-5-Plus

I don't think that there is anything, that comes close to this quality.
Far superior to the small Bosch drills.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Online kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2014, 11:13:07 am »
I have the previous festool model from may be 10 years
still working fine, the nimh batteries may need an exchange, but he they are still working enough long.
and trust me they have an enormous hours count running time ...

Offline romantronixlab

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2014, 12:25:28 pm »
This one will look finely nice on a workbench  ;)
Will think about it.

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2014, 12:12:32 am »
KC Tool has a two of the Wera Precision sets on sale:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/wera-screwdrivers-sale/
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline nazcalines

• Contributor
« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2014, 05:33:07 am »
I have tried Wiha Picofinish and Wera.  I like the overall feel of the Wiha Picofinish, but the spin top has noticeably more friction that Wera.  I also like that at 1.8mm and below, the Wiha Picofinish have a thinner body for less torque.  I'll probably continue to buy Wera for greater than 2mm and Wiha Picofinish for 1.8mm and smaller.

For phillips, I've found the Moody JIS 4 piece set to be nice.  Very good fit working on various old Japanese lenses, and JIS will work in phillips screws.

Offline elgonzo

• Supporter
« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2014, 09:18:04 pm »
I know Dave and others amongst us love their Wiha screwdrivers very much, but there is no reason anymore to not share this love with your wife or gf.
Because Wiha understands the plight of the modern urban woman.

And no, that is no late April Fools joke. Reputable distributors (like Reichelt in Germany) sell it.

Offline markce

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2014, 09:47:41 pm »
#1: PB
#2: Felo

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #91 on: June 14, 2014, 01:46:50 am »
Just picked up these bad boys on ebay.  100% Made in Germany,  Wittron,  the electronics line from Witte. They feel and look incredibly precise and nice.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 02:15:35 am by PedroDaGr8 »
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

The following users thanked this post: FrankE

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: June 14, 2014, 02:40:34 am »
Just picked up these bad boys on ebay.  100% Made in Germany,  Wittron,  the electronics line from Witte. They feel and look incredibly precise and nice.
Nice.  :)

Offline monochrome

« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2014, 09:46:04 pm »
This comprehensive set from Germany never lets me down:

50 piece Wiha "Master Technician" set

-slotted 0.8 - 4.0mm
-Phillips #000 - #1
-Nut 1.5 - 5.5mm
-Torx T1 - T10
-Hex 0.7 - 3.0mm
-Hex inch 0.028 - 5/32"
-Chip lifter

The only turnoff for some people might be the >250 usd price tag. I think it's worth it! I work on lots of small mechanical stuff, not just electronics. If it's just electronics you will probably get by with a more modest set.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 09:53:14 pm by monochrome »

Offline elektronchika

• Contributor
    • Elektronchika's blog
« Reply #94 on: June 16, 2014, 08:29:37 am »
Has any one tried the Tekton 2841 every bit set? The problem is it can be found only in US

http://www.tektontools.com/All_Products/2841

I think it has almost every possible bit in it

Offline monochrome

« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2014, 09:44:21 am »
Has any one tried the Tekton 2841 every bit set? The problem is it can be found only in US

http://www.tektontools.com/All_Products/2841

I think it has almost every possible bit in it
Steel quality and fit and finish are probably very much inferior compared to German or US brands, but for occasional use it might be good enough. It looks to have nice variety but bits have one very big disadvantage: you can't use them for screws at the bottom of deep holes.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 09:52:19 am by monochrome »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2014, 10:27:05 am »
It looks to have nice variety but bits have one very big disadvantage: you can't use them for screws at the bottom of deep holes.
I can attest to this being a problem from time to time.

Ended up with Wiha's Drive-Loc series for this reason (can be adjusted so they go deeper than their standard precision screwdrivers, and cannot slide back into the handle). Takes up a lot less space than dedicated drivers, so useful on a messy bench, as well as a field kit. Blades usually have 2 ends, so works out to ~5USD per at most.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2014, 10:44:37 am »
It looks like those drivers are so close to eachother that if you need a specific size you have to search and not grab blindly the correct driver, how does this work for you in practice?

Offline monochrome

« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2014, 10:53:40 am »
It looks like those drivers are so close to eachother that if you need a specific size you have to search and not grab blindly the correct driver, how does this work for you in practice?
I know which driver is located where, I order them by type. Geen probleem Kjelt  :)

Offline jetwolfk2

• Contributor
« Reply #99 on: June 21, 2014, 06:28:34 am »
im old and manual is not the way for me anymore with arthritis, do you guys use any automatic precision screwdrivers

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf