Author Topic: beyond lincoln electric  (Read 397 times)

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
beyond lincoln electric
« on: July 29, 2020, 04:27:54 am »

Offline bill_c

• Contributor
Re: beyond lincoln electric
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 04:53:01 am »
 :palm:

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 05:02:35 am »
its an improvement over  :palm: (eskimo technique)

I am actually kind of curious to see how that would work with a filter, and maybe a coat of ceramic engine paint (maybe give you time before your face catches on fire)

not brave enough to try it

fixed space ship on abandoned planet? (african queen 2)

I noticed I did have a few small welding fires from.. paper towels that were used to clean the pre weld. They like to ignite surprisingly far away from the torch. I actually move them to the back of the shop before ignition now.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 05:25:16 am by coppercone2 »

Offline Andrew LB

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 05:02:14 pm »
I had a piece of burning hot splatter land in a piece of steel wool i had left on the ground next to where i was crouching and my leg and arm started feeling very hot. I would have never imagined steel wool having such an energetic combustion.

Luckily my welder hardly splatters now that i converted it from AC to DC.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 06:13:52 pm »
did you use that guide to modify a tomb stone to dc with some diodes and add the lug connectors etc? did you add a polarity switch too?

I looked at that a long time ago but it was expensive to do for the capabilities. Not sure if it makes sense to buy a more advanced machine or mod it. Prob should mod it so the money can go on useful things like fixturing that is always neglected.

What interconnects do you use for the welder? I think personally I would get a beefy switch, if they exist for 300 amps in the form that can fit in the unit, and make it so that AC/DC and polarity are all switch controlled. I don't like the idea of having a patch panel on my welder like the mods I see lol. I just don't know if all the components could fit inside of it.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 06:28:23 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 12:48:27 am »
Don't know what the title has to do with the video.

:palm:
That was my first thought. Esp the baseball hat drooping like that.
But then I thought this would be a great way to record video while welding, in case you wanted to do that. Of course it would make a lot more sense to buy a $15.00 welding mask or FFS to work from.

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 01:06:31 am »
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075YCDB3L/ref=dp_cerb_1
Adjustable headband, adjustable friction on the flip up/down. Use your smartphone to buy this, then add your add your cereal box magic.

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 08:28:20 am »
It may looks ridiculous, but it's not. The whole purpose of "makers" channels are to bring money to their owners (notice how much adds on the video). They are perfectly aware how stupid and impractical their creations. Probably they even count on people discussing and re-posting their videos to gain popularity.

My suggestion is just ignore them, otherwise you  only help them earn more money and produce more stupid content.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 05:09:56 pm »
It may looks ridiculous, but it's not. The whole purpose of "makers" channels are to bring money to their owners (notice how much adds on the video). They are perfectly aware how stupid and impractical their creations. Probably they even count on people discussing and re-posting their videos to gain popularity.

My suggestion is just ignore them, otherwise you  only help them earn more money and produce more stupid content.

i thought it was funny. im not trying to fight this guy because its clear anyone that does that will likely get no where working with a card board baseball hat and trying to weld rusty dregs (still really hard with real tools!) but its interesting because its a good idea to film torch/arc work. I think the idea of gluing a cell phone holder to something is excellent. It's actually usable unlike "put sticky tape residue' on my phone.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 05:11:49 pm by coppercone2 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf