Author Topic: Canon Ixus V70 Hack with CHDK for High Speed Photography  (Read 1669 times)

Offline madsbarnkobTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kaizer Power Electronics
Canon Ixus V70 Hack with CHDK for High Speed Photography
« on: October 04, 2020, 07:38:02 pm »
Turn your old compact Canon camera into a high speed photography camera with Canon Hack Development Kit

I bypass the battery pack and make the camera run on a power supply, as the CHDK software takes a lot of CPU power, I also add a fan to cool down the CPU and optics.

CHDK: https://chdk.fandom.com/wiki/CHDK

Hacking the battery pack into power supply requires a 10K resistor between negative and middle contact point of the battery connector.

1082724-0

1082728-1

Temperature measurements to locate the DIGIC2 processor heating and it actually turns out that the optics heat up even more and will often be the limiting factor.

1082732-2
1082736-3
1082740-4
1082744-5
1082748-6

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
Re: Canon Ixus V70 Hack with CHDK for High Speed Photography
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 04:09:36 pm »
What exactly do you mean by “high speed photography”? I can’t tell from the video, and the CHDK documentation doesn’t mention any such mode either. I doubt you mean “high speed” in the antique sense of “high speed film” (high ISO).

Offline madsbarnkobTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kaizer Power Electronics
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 11:12:01 am »
What exactly do you mean by “high speed photography”? I can’t tell from the video, and the CHDK documentation doesn’t mention any such mode either. I doubt you mean “high speed” in the antique sense of “high speed film” (high ISO).

As I show in the video, I set CHDK to scene change detection and with that feature it can automatically capture a image of a object being dropped into the scene. So fast that its in mid-air before hitting the table. The article on it on wikipedia describes this as "High-speed photography is the science of taking pictures of very fast phenomena.": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-speed_photography

Online Peabody

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 01:52:20 pm »
CHDK is indeed a great way to make your Canon Powershot point-and-shoot intelligent.  Back before drones, I used it to do timelapse videos and kite aerial photography with my A590.  It loads in your Lua script from the SD card on boot, and doesn't make any permanent changes to the camera.  So it's basically like loading in an app to supplement the operating system.  And it will react very quickly to any change in the scene - great for fireworks, lightning strikes, birds about to land, etc.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf