Author Topic: Cheap (and good) magnifiers for electronic works  (Read 3451 times)

Offline ThunderZedTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Cheap (and good) magnifiers for electronic works
« on: June 03, 2023, 06:11:42 pm »
Hi all, I'm searching a cheap and good enough way to see when I work on PCB, SMD and so on.
I avoid "big" stuff, such as table lamps with magnifier, because I need something easy to carry on around.
I avoid solutions that need smartphone/laptop to work, such as digital endoscopes.
I've pointed to:
1. eyeglass-shaped magnifiers with 2 lenses;
2. binoculars with galilean system (as dentist's);
3. watchmaker/jeweler's system: loupe with springy headband;
4. 3$ +3 diopters eyeglass bought at chinese shop :)

My doubts (related to the stuff linked above):
1. They come with "1.5X 2.0X 2.5X 3.5X 4.0X 4.5X" lenses but I doubt they reach the max 4.5x power even if you match the 2 strongest ones (4x + 4.5x) and even if you could get 4.5x magnification you must be "125mm" far from your working field. Anyway is there someone that can tell if it's true or not and can tell something about real focal distance?
2. I guess the vision field of "dentistry" binoculars is very narrow, isn't it? I also guess its main drawback is its focal distance because it's "Working Distance" is "320-420 mm" so quite long (for me). I'd also appreciate a real magnifying power evaluation by who used it.
3. Could it be good for works on PCB? Especially for its focal distance, I guess it's very little.
4. I don't know if I could get headache or seasickness. They seem for farsightedness, am I wrong?

As you could see from my links I prefer buying on aliexpress instead of amazon or ebay because of my low budget.

Online pope

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Cheap (and good) magnifiers for electronic works
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2023, 09:02:22 am »
I'm at exactly the same situation so any recommendations are very welcome.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2023, 09:35:42 am »
Try something like this, widely available from many sources under many brand names https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolson-60390-Loupe-Magnifier-Visor/dp/B001MJ0JW2

Benefits:
  • cheap enough to be regarded as an experiment
  • change the magnification to whatever suits your eyes and the your task. Several lenses supplied, can increase magnification by putting them "in series"
  • use in addition existing spectacles correcting defects in your eyes such as astigmatism and differing focal lengths
  • unlike microscopes, use wherever you want, at any angle relative to whatever you are working on, including deep into cabinets
  • eyes and lenses far enough from soldering iron that it is possible to avoid deposits on the lenses and in your lungs

Even if not a long-tem solution, at the very least it will enable you to refine your likes/dislikes/requirements so that when spending serious money you will be able to make better choices.

Even though I have a couple of stereoscopic microscopes, the visor is what I use most of the time.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 11:15:43 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2023, 09:39:10 am »
I would consider comfort for long periods.  That springy thing looks like torture,, particularly if you have longer hair as it will get caught in the spring.  I have used a visor type for well over 20 years (attached).  Easy on and off, glass lenses, doesn't fog, and I can wear reading glasses under it if needed.  Once you get past 45 or so, you will understand the need for reading glasses.  The headband loupe can also be easily flipped out of the way when not needed and stays on your head; whereas, glasses hung on your ears probably need to be taken off.  Then you need to find a place for them.  Finding that convenient storage place again, wastes time.  :)

As for the more professional loupes, they also work, but considering the price for really good ones that surgeons and ophthalmologists wear (usually with a headband), I would be cautious of something so cheap that hung on my ears.  I have a pair made for physicians in the 1940's that are like glasses and hang on your ears.  They are definitely uncomfortable for long periods.

I also keep a variety of single-eye loupes (about 2X)  around the house.  They also have glass lenses, are cheap, and work well when you need to read something and don't have the headband handy.  Of course, they generally have a shorter working distance.

Edit:  As implied above, glass lenses are important to me.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 09:41:02 am by jpanhalt »

Offline lowimpedance

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2023, 10:57:07 am »
Take a look at these cheap headband magnifiers.I use them and find them very effective and can be used with your  glasses if needed.  The working distance with the 2x is good for bench work and also when doing lathe work too.
  They also come with a selection of lenses for other magnifications.  Another big plus is they are lightweight.

https://au.element14.com/modelcraft/pop1763/headband-magnifier-w-4-lense/dp/2915105?st=Headband%20magnifier
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 11:05:31 am by lowimpedance »
The odd multimeter or 2 or 3 or 4...or........can't remember !.

Offline ThunderZedTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2023, 12:10:51 pm »
Thanks for your contributions.

So is it definitely true or not that matching 2 pairs of lenses in a visor increases its magnifying power up to 4.5x? I'd like to know that because I'd like to use the "magnifying tool" I'm going to buy to read the very small engravings on jewelry as well, if possible (see attachment as an example).
I work on mechanical watches too (indeed very rarely!) and I wonder if the visor could do a good job instead of the classic loupe; is there anyone here that can tell his/her experience with watches?
I know every kind of work has its best tools to use to, I'm just evaluating all the possible applications of every tool.

By the way, I've just found this "system"
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001326649076.html
It'd be good for watching TV though its claimed focal distance range is "360mm-450mm" (from description). From this other page
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003163583150.html
we can see someone working (or just pretending to work!) on PCB at very close distance so maybe this tool could be good. I think the worst drawback is you can't adjust the pupil distance and the seller gives us this warning: "A very small or very large pupil distance (eye distance) can reduce the performance quality" but also: "due to an unusually large head, doubled images might occur because the optical axes of the two lens systems are not in parallel any more." I find it as interesting as funny :)
Has anyone got it and wants to share his/her experience?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2023, 01:20:46 pm »
Thanks for your contributions.

So is it definitely true or not that matching 2 pairs of lenses in a visor increases its magnifying power up to 4.5x?

Obviously it depends on the lenses' strengths! Don't expect to put too many in series and create a high quality high power microscope - no surprises there!

I work on mechanical watches too (indeed very rarely!) and I wonder if the visor could do a good job instead of the classic loupe; is there anyone here that can tell his/her experience with watches?I know every kind of work has its best tools to use to, I'm just evaluating all the possible applications of every tool.

It is highly personal. What works for you might not work for me, and vice versa. That's why experiments are valuable.

we can see someone working (or just pretending to work!) on PCB at very close distance so maybe this tool could be good. I think the worst drawback is you can't adjust the pupil distance and the seller gives us this warning: "A very small or very large pupil distance (eye distance) can reduce the performance quality" but also: "due to an unusually large head, doubled images might occur because the optical axes of the two lens systems are not in parallel any more." I find it as interesting as funny :)
Has anyone got it and wants to share his/her experience?

No comments on that particular device, but as someone who started taking stereoscopic photos 40 years ago, the inter-pupillary distance is important and must be adjusted for each individual. That's why vintage devices like this allowed it via the lever+scale to the bottom right of the eyepieces.

Having said that, IPD hasn't been an issue for me with the visors. I haven't investigated, but that may be a consequence of the low powers and that the lenses are a little way from the cornea.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 01:23:18 pm by tggzzz »
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2023, 02:54:15 pm »
I work on mechanical watches too (indeed very rarely!) and I wonder if the visor could do a good job instead of the classic loupe; is there anyone here that can tell his/her experience with watches?
I have.  One of my uncles (born 1902) was a jeweler and watch repairer.  I spent many a weekend with him "picking ticks" in the early to late 1950's.  Got to the point he would let me work on decent watches, e.g., disassembly, cleaning, replacing or making stems, crystals, jewels, and a few other things. 

At that age, I didn't need a loupe for most things, and when I did, I used a classical jeweler's loupe.  For convenience, e.g., reading the engraving on a chip, removing splinters, and reading small inscriptions, that is still what I prefer.  He considered the young jewelers of that day who wore headbands, as not quite skilled.

I abhor (sort of) multifunction tools.  They don't do anything well.  That is, for assembling SMD and other electronics, I prefer a headband to anything else for comfort and ease of flipping it up or looking under it when I miss on my first attempt at replacing my soldering iron, which is usually done "blindly."  I tried an electronic microscope and hated it for a variety of reasons.  The classical loupe doesn't have enough working distance and is not good for hours of wearing.  For other stuff, as mentioned, I prefer the classical loupe.  For identifying yeasts ,ticks, etc., I prefer a classical optical microscope.  I had all 4 and so rarely used the electronic microscope that I gave it to a grandchild.

My advice:  Get something something that will do your most important activity well.  Then, see how it works for the other things, and if not well enough, get another tool.

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2023, 03:15:23 pm »
Left field: Have you tried doubling your reading glasses? That's wear two pairs at the same time. This brings the focusing distance down to inches and remains comfortable for quite a while. Sounds totally insane, but this actually works. For the double pair you only need a low dioptre of around +1.25.

( UK members might be familiar with The Repair Shop's clock guru Steve Fletcher who is famous for wearing multiple pairs.)

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2023, 03:30:47 pm »
Left field: Have you tried doubling your reading glasses? That's wear two pairs at the same time. This brings the focusing distance down to inches and remains comfortable for quite a while. Sounds totally insane, but this actually works. For the double pair you only need a low dioptre of around +1.25.

( UK members might be familiar with The Repair Shop's clock guru Steve Fletcher who is famous for wearing multiple pairs.)

You wouldn't "double your reading glasses", except in the special case where both lenses are identical.

If you have astigmatism and/or each eye requires different magnification, then you should use those as one pair,  and add a pair of standard reading glasses if beneficial. That's what occurs when you use a visor with your spectacles.

Given that (in the UK at least) you can pick up standard reading glasses ridiculously cheaply in "pound shops" and supermarkets, it is a cheap and fast experiment.

(No, I wasn't aware of Steve Fletcher, but I do use the trick as a cheap form of bifocal when watching TV)

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2023, 05:00:34 pm »
The Donegan Optivisor posted by jpanhalt in reply #3 is an industry standard. I have used a somewhat less expensive device called the Eschenbach MaxDetail which does not have IPD adjustment. If it matches your eye spacing it can be effective, and it is also very comfortable.

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2023, 05:32:43 pm »
Given that (in the UK at least) you can pick up standard reading glasses ridiculously cheaply in "pound shops" and supermarkets, it is a cheap and fast experiment.
My daily glasses cost £££££s. My doubler came from PoundWorld 8) What a cheapskate. I wouldn't wear doubled glasses all day every day rather, invest in the 'jewellers visor' as shown above. Plus good, bright, flat lighting too.

btw Horologists and EEs share pretty much the same operating dimensions. Our workspaces are small, detailed, fiddly and once something is dropped on the floor, it's just gone for good.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2023, 06:40:29 pm »
My daily glasses cost £££££s. My doubler came from PoundWorld 8) What a cheapskate.

My daily glasses have two different focal lengths, astigmatism corrections and a specified IPD. They made the first two orders for £7.50 per spectacles. That's the same as non prescription specs in the supermarket!

For a third order they won't accept my specification, and are insisting on using the prescription which doesn't include IPD. Must find a way to work around their bureaucracy.

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2023, 06:55:21 pm »
The Donegan Optivisor posted by jpanhalt in reply #3 is an industry standard. I have used a somewhat less expensive device called the Eschenbach MaxDetail which does not have IPD adjustment. If it matches your eye spacing it can be effective, and it is also very comfortable.

I also give my vote to the Donegan Optivisor. Well made with glass lenses.
Leave your reading glasses on and flip visor up and down as needed.
The DA-5 with 2.5x mag is ideal for inspection, perhaps a little close for soldering.
https://doneganoptical.com/product/optivisor/

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2023, 07:11:41 pm »
Physics of optics and lenses determines the working distance, vs diopters.

We found 2..3 diopters is fine, with a removable lens to get up to 5.

We use only genuite Donnegal OptoVisor (TM) , the well made, sturdy and comfortable professional type 

https://doneganoptical.com/product/optivisor/

Availablre in many dipoters and vsariations.

The cost is modest perhaps $25..$40

These Last a lifetime.

The Chinese knockoffs are junk.

Jon
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Online pope

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2023, 07:29:51 am »
Does anyone know what's the difference between the OptiVISOR and the OptiVISOR LX?

https://doneganoptical.com/product-category/headband/

Also, it's a bit unclear to me. Can you just replace the glass if you need different magnification or you need to buy the whole new headband?

I saw that farnell stock them for 260 euro (exc. vat) and these guys for €483 on offer from €798  :-DD

Thanks but I'll pass on Donegan
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 07:33:33 am by pope »

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2023, 06:35:22 pm »
donegan optivisor $26..56 ea on Amazon.com USA.

https://www.amazon.com/Donegan-OptiVisor-Headband-Magnifier-Magnification/dp/B0015IN8J6

Farnell and the UK disty are about 8X markup.

Brexit?

Jon

Offline luis garcia

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2023, 07:27:25 pm »
I own a Vision microscope. This is an amazing device to see steroscopic images without having to lean over a stereo microscope. You see it on a display. The problem it is extremely bulky and heavy. It has a micropositioner too, fiberoptics lights,etc.
By the way, it is freely available for anyone wanting to pick it at my site! No shipping!

The boom supported stereo microscope is my second best.
The glasses make me dizzy, although they work well for short time.

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2023, 07:32:09 pm »
I want to try one of those Donegan hoods. I have a good table lamp magnifier (Luxo) and a stereo microscope, but the microscope is not always convenient and the table lamp doesn't have quite enough magnification for 0.5mm pin pitches.

I've also tried a couple of cheap digital magnifiers. They were truly awful but I think Dave reviwed one that he liked. Don't be tempted to use a remote PC-operated one. they're even more laggy. You want HDMI direct to a screen.  Don't know about phones but I think they'd be awkward to use.

My favourite handy magnifier is an illuminated jewellers's loupe. The sort you hold rather than screw into your eye. It works very well, is a good quality, and is small enough to carry. The only snag is that it runs off button cells and they run down quite quickly. I'd happily have something a bit bigger if the space was used for batteries.

I got it from a jeweller's supply place as I didn't want some nasty lump of plastic but you may be able to find it elsewhere. This has the same labelling though mine looks more like stainless steel and doesn't have that gold tint.

https://www.hswalsh.com/product/loupe-10x-magnification-achromatic-triplet-loupe-led-light-hp4310

Marked 'LED Loupe Triplet 10x - 20.5mm Aplanatic  Achromatic lens'
It has 6 white LEDs in a diffuse ring. No UV, I'm not checking diamonds.

I couldn't work through that though. It needs to be held up to my eye and the object only an inch or so away. For live working I use the table magnifier or the stereo microscope.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 07:44:54 pm by artag »

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2023, 07:33:48 pm »
By the way, it is freely available for anyone wanting to pick it at my site! No shipping!

OOh ! That's almost worth driving to Spain for !

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2023, 07:43:54 pm »

OOh ! That's almost worth driving to Spain for !

Not for me at any price.   ;D

Offline MathWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2023, 07:45:43 pm »
Just for handheld inspection, I've been using a 30x loupe. But yeah trying to solder or even probe some stuff while holding it, is near impossible. But I still think it's great.

I got a desk mounted large magnifier with light. That works pretty good. It's also nice just to have breadboards under it, made it easy to work on BB's while standing.

I have 1 of those cheapish microscope with mini-LCD screen. That works pretty good, accept I really need 1 of those spring loaded arms, like the magnifier has. The base of the MS is pretty small, not much good for any size if a PCB. I should order 1 of those arms today, I haven't thought of it in ages.

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2023, 07:56:06 pm »

Not for me at any price.   ;D

Well, if it has a digital screen, no. But I thought they meant one of these :
https://www.visioneng.com/

Online pope

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2023, 08:09:51 pm »
donegan optivisor $26..56 ea on Amazon.com USA.

https://www.amazon.com/Donegan-OptiVisor-Headband-Magnifier-Magnification/dp/B0015IN8J6

Farnell and the UK disty are about 8X markup.

Brexit?

Jon

Af far as I'm concerned this is for a single magnification glass. The links I posted contain different magnification options (i.e set).

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2023, 07:14:59 am »
Amazon USA has Chinese Optovisor knockoffs with 4 lenses for $26.

https://www.amazon.com/Headband-Magnifier-Head-Mounted-Binocular-Magnification-1-5X/dp/B07M7H3P95

The genuine Optovisor  spare lenses are ~ $25 ea

But Swapping lenses is not fast.

We found the best solution is the 2.5 D lens and the swing down 2.5 D auxiliary lens.

https://www.amazon.com/Donegan-OptiLOUPE-Magnifier-OptiVISOR-Magnification/dp/B0015ILDZW

Jon

The following users thanked this post: pope

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf